PDA

View Full Version : PF character sheet & drag and drop question

calseeor
April 18th, 2012, 22:27
Howdy all,
Is the default 3.5 character sheet what is to be used for Pathfinder in Fantasy Grounds or is there a special PF character sheet out there?
Also - this is FG newbie question - when using the 3.5 character sheet and the PF default books that came with FG, I had expected that when I dragged options over from the books to the sheet (such as the class I will play , or the race) that I could drop it onto the sheet and it would fill in on the sheet, but it doesn't. Also, when I type in the Class, none of the class bonuses seem to autofill either. Am I doing something wrong or am I expecting too much from the 3.5/pathfinder ruleset module?

Any other tips you have for a newbie to FG and Pathfinder would be appreciated. (I have watched many of the FG starter videos already).

Regards,
--Eryk

Trenloe
April 18th, 2012, 22:43
Is the default 3.5 character sheet what is to be used for Pathfinder in Fantasy Grounds or is there a special PF character sheet out there?
The character sheet changes based on the "Game System" option - PFRPG or 3.5E.

Also - this is FG newbie question - when using the 3.5 character sheet and the PF default books that came with FG, I had expected that when I dragged options over from the books to the sheet (such as the class I will play , or the race) that I could drop it onto the sheet and it would fill in on the sheet, but it doesn't.
Races and classes don't drag-and-drop - they are provided as a library reference outside of the character sheet. Things like feats, equipment/weapons, spells do (if you drag them to the correct place in the character sheet).

Also, when I type in the Class, none of the class bonuses seem to autofill either. Am I doing something wrong or am I expecting too much from the 3.5/pathfinder ruleset module?
The system is not designed to be a character generator. It is designed to allow you to enter as much as possible of your character into a character sheet so that you can use it during your game - roll attacks, damage, skills, saves, etc. in an efficient manner (usually by a single double-click).

There is a character importer written by Smiteworks to take your character from Hero Labs or PCGen and import it into Fantasy Grounds. There are some things that don't come across 100%, but it is a very good tool.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025

Any other tips you have for a newbie to FG and Pathfinder would be appreciated. (I have watched many of the FG starter videos already).
Have you gone through the user guide?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/

What is missed by a lot of people is that when you click on a menu item on the left hand side that menu expands with a lot more options.

This assumes you have a full licence: load up one of the demo campaigns/modules: "Tale of Dinor" Campaign or the "Well Met in Kith'takharos" module and have a look around the entries. Start FG again on the same PC and "Join Game" with a host address of localhost. This will allow you to see a player and GM view and you can run sample combats, share maps, move tokens, etc. as if in an actual game.

jedorian
April 18th, 2012, 22:47
As far as I know, what you are expecting from the program is something it cannot do. When detailing your character, you do need to fill in the data yourself, but you do have access to the information for the base classes within FG.

If you're using the Manage Characters tab to create your character, it is only able to present you with the 3.5 character sheet and has no option to allow you to make a PF character. You will need to log into a campaign that has the PF ruleset selected in order to have the character sheet set up for that ruleset.

Though, being able to drag and drop a class onto the character sheet and have it autofill the thing would be magnificent!

calseeor
April 19th, 2012, 03:25
Thanks for the replies and all the great information. I do have the full license version and I was indeed looking for a pathfinder character sheet in the Manage Characters section. I can't seem to find a pathfinder ruleset to load. I see 3.5E as an option but I had thought that the pathfinder ruleset was part of 3.5E and part of the full license FG...is that incorrect? I don't mind buying it if I need, I just had thought it was standard with what I already purchased.

Trenloe
April 19th, 2012, 04:21
I can't seem to find a pathfinder ruleset to load. I see 3.5E as an option but I had thought that the pathfinder ruleset was part of 3.5E and part of the full license FG...is that incorrect?
Create a new 3.5E campaign and when it loads it will prompt you to select 3.5E or PFRPG. This is also an option available to the GM under "Game System" when a campaign has been loaded.

PFRPG is currently (FG V2.8.1) not available in manage characters, but will be available in V2.9. Your best bet is to create the character in a campaign as a GM and use /exportchar to export it as needed. See post #4 of this thread for more info:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16319

calseeor
April 19th, 2012, 12:26
ah ha, there's the key. Create the campaign and then be prompted for 3.5 or PFRPG. I had figured that selection would be made when choosing the ruleset. Thanks very much Trenloe and Jedorian for all the info.