PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms 3.5e Game - looking for players.

Koreapsu
April 18th, 2012, 10:51
Timing
• Weekly game on Sunday
• Aussies and Kiwis - 9.30pm NZT/7.30pm AEST, Europeans -9.30am GMT, Americans - 2.30am PDT/4.30am CDT/5.30am EDT (it’ll be tough for you guys, but if you’re really keen…)
• Sessions will be roughly 3 hours with a break at 1.5 hours. We won’t stop before 3 hours, but also won’t stop mid fight or in a tricky situation.
• There may be occasional long sessions, though these will be very rare.
• Entire campaign should run 8-9 months. I’d need a commitment to make most sessions on time and ready to start. People unable to make a session should email the group at the earliest possible convenience, and if possible with some basic instructions on how they want their character played.
• The game will start Sunday May 27th, this will be character creation, getting familiar with the mechanics, a small mock adventure (if needed) and getting to know each other. This first session will be around 1.5 hours.

Character Creation
• Two spots taken, looking for 2-4 more.
• Any class/race in standard 3.5 is ok (subject to other conditions listed here). Other more creative combinations possible but not guaranteed.
• No lawful good or any evil characters.
• Classes must be justified – no assassins with a heart of gold please.
• Prestige classes are fine and encouraged – you will be very high level at the end of the story. Plan your characters accordingly.
• 40 point stat buy system. These will eventually be epic heroes so they need to start gifted. It’s a chance to play that character you always wanted to play.
• Characters start with no equipment.
• Characters start at level two.
• Each character must also detail a selection of character flaws and weaknesses. I will provide list of options, but these will be able to be expanded on.
• Character names need to fit the setting.
• If you can create your character using Herolab that would help, but otherwise I will load it for you.

DM Style
• I enjoy DMing fast paced sessions. Ideally each session should include at least a couple of combat encounters, two roleplaying challenges and a puzzle of some fashion. There will also be moral choices to be made most sessions, some time limited and others included in the aforementioned roleplaying challenges – with time to think them through.
• General buying, selling and restocking will be handled between sessions, or at least to a standing order. It’s not a lot of fun roleplaying buying general rations. I tend to expedite mundane tasks when I’m running a campaign.
• Specific purchases and requests for certain items will be subject to both luck and your character’s actual knowledge. Your use of a manual as a player will not affect what’s available in a shop.
• I like a fair bit of humour in my campaigns, so although the subject matter and quests may be very serious there will be plenty of odd people and unusual situations.
• XP will be awarded for combat, treasure, roleplaying (especially character traits and flaws), problem solving, use of specific class abilities and to the week’s MVP (sometimes people just have a brilliant session and deserve a reward).
• Rules are subject to “the DM is always right” veto powers. I’ll always be consistent with my rulings, but being a rules lawyer is somewhat useless in my campaigns. I’m always open to persuasion though. There is a line where knowing the rules crosses into meta gaming.

Meta Knowledge
• Players will be encouraged to play within their character’s knowledge. Meta gaming isn’t something I enjoy DMing. Spending a session with players leafing through rulebooks looking for items, researching the city they are in or the creatures they are fighting is detrimental to good roleplaying IMHO.
• I tend to use a lot of puzzles, riddles, mysteries. If you really wanted to sit on Google and solve every problem I’m sure it could be done (although I try to change things around a bit to be less obvious), but it would spoil the fun. Sometimes the best solutions aren’t the “correct” ones. I’ll be leaving the players to police themselves on this matter.

Platform
• I’ll have an ultimate license so we’ll all be able to play in FG even if you just have the demo version.
• 3.5e ruleset.
• Ventrilo or Teamspeak – undecided as of yet.
• Forum.
• Email group.

Me
• 37yo gamer who has just started back after a long break.
• Dad of two young girls and seller of beer.
• Experienced DM and player in a few systems.
• Currently a player in C&C and GURPS campaigns.

The Story
Without giving too much away the idea is to have a five part adventure that spans the continent and allows for five very different environments and situations. The story starts in Phlan and begins with a premise based around the old SSI game Pool of Radiance. You won’t be playing the PoR adventure, but some aspects may be familiar if you every played that game. Where it goes from there is up to you, although I have several paths planned that seem logical.

So that's about it. Looking for a few good people to have a laugh with each week and make a great story.

If you're interested please reply in this post first to give it a bump. :)

Beerholder
April 18th, 2012, 17:41
Heya!

I am a big fan of FR and I'm interested in taking part of your campaign.

_JC_
April 19th, 2012, 05:39
Sounds great. Not played 3.5 before, but pretty familiar with all the rules and classes due to extensive (read obsessive) playing of Baldurs Gate and NWN.

The fact that its a reasonable time in the AEST timezone is a plus for me too.

Koreapsu
April 19th, 2012, 22:08
Heya!

I am a big fan of FR and I'm interested in taking part of your campaign.

Thanks for the interest. Replied to your PM too :)

Koreapsu
April 19th, 2012, 22:14
Sounds great. Not played 3.5 before, but pretty familiar with all the rules and classes due to extensive (read obsessive) playing of Baldurs Gate and NWN.

The fact that its a reasonable time in the AEST timezone is a plus for me too.

Sounds good mate. Have a think about what classes you're interested in playing and post them back in this thread. Even if it's just vague ideas I'll be able to point you in the direction of different options and help out with what the manuals allow etc.

So far we have no classes taken and four people thinking about it, so you're free to come up with whatever you want. We'll be going to a very high level so anything will be interesting to play.

Koreapsu
April 19th, 2012, 22:15
Still looking for players.

Don't let my initial wall of text scare you off!

gaara6666
April 20th, 2012, 06:52
Count me in.played D&D for 19 years.

Ksathra
April 20th, 2012, 06:54
Hey. I'm over in Est/edt but I work overnights, sounds nice to me. I like the idea with Flaws and stuff. Always fun to add something that makes Rping really pop out.

Koreapsu
April 20th, 2012, 11:29
Sounds good gaara6666 and Ksathra. We are still at the point of no classes chosen so you're free to to go with whatever you'd like.

Could be a good idea for everyone to post a couple of base classes they'd like to play so we can start working out a mix for the group. We'll need a full mix to complete the campaign.

If you all could PM me your email addresses that would be great too.

gaara6666
April 20th, 2012, 16:04
when you said character flaws. are we doing the flaws fro unearthed arcana where each flaw awards you a bonus feat and the book limit of only taking 2 flaws?

Ksathra
April 20th, 2012, 21:39
You said all Base Class/race for 3.5 Does that mean anything from the Hardcover prints of 3.5 or anything from the core DM/PHB?

I was thinking of maybe a Duskblade, I normally play Dragonfire Adepts, but I really have to find something new to play.

Also Races, if all the hardcover books are allowed, that means we can have a level adjustment race too?

Koreapsu
April 21st, 2012, 06:10
when you said character flaws. are we doing the flaws fro unearthed arcana where each flaw awards you a bonus feat and the book limit of only taking 2 flaws?

Happy to allow the bonus feat flaws, but actually meant more of just something roleplaying orientated. I'll get a list of ideas together soon.

Koreapsu
April 21st, 2012, 06:13
You said all Base Class/race for 3.5 Does that mean anything from the Hardcover prints of 3.5 or anything from the core DM/PHB?

I was thinking of maybe a Duskblade, I normally play Dragonfire Adepts, but I really have to find something new to play.

Also Races, if all the hardcover books are allowed, that means we can have a level adjustment race too?

If you can tell me which manual to look in I'll have a look over any class you can find printed in an official manual.

As far as races go I'd prefer not to DM a group of pixies and minotaurs, but any variants on base races should be fine, along with some non standard races. Some humanoid monster races may be playable, but could be detrimental to party progress and limit that character's roleplaying interaction.

Just shoot me some ideas and I'll let you know.

Ksathra
April 22nd, 2012, 04:11
I'm still confused. You Say 'Base' but I'm not sure what you mean by it. Do you Mean the 'Core' books? like DMG and PHB only? Or do you mean like DMG, DMGII, PHB, PHBII, Races collection and Complete Collection? Thats kinda what I consider Base.

Just trying to clarify what you mean by Base.

Regardless I'll stick with Duskblade. Its from PHB2. Kinda like a fighter that puts touch spells into his weapons.

Beerholder
April 22nd, 2012, 05:15
As I understand it, remove the confusing word "Base" and it is pretty much any race in the hardcover books, subject to DM approval.

However, it seems the issue is straying too far from humanoids like: thri-kreen, minotaurs, bugbears etc. Think of the races you may likely find traveling in predominantly human kingdoms: elves, half-elves, halflings, dwarves... maybe even a half-orc or a goliath.

Furthermore, all these races have sub-types; Strongheart Halflings, Gold Dwarves, Moon Elves, Sun Elves, Santa's Elves :D , etc. I would also assume that, for the sake of saving DM headaches, you avoid sub-types that are considered 'evil' races like drow or duergar, even if your character is good.

I hope I got that right.

I'm still confused. You Say 'Base' but I'm not sure what you mean by it. Do you Mean the 'Core' books? like DMG and PHB only? Or do you mean like DMG, DMGII, PHB, PHBII, Races collection and Complete Collection? Thats kinda what I consider Base.

Ksathra
April 22nd, 2012, 15:24
Yeah. sound logical enough. I'll probably just stay Human though. I like the feat and skill points and dont want LA or to be small.

drgatton
April 22nd, 2012, 20:15
I would be very interested in playing. My older brother might as well. We have been playing for almost 15 years. Let me know! Thanks

Koreapsu
April 22nd, 2012, 23:44

Regardless I'll stick with Duskblade. Its from PHB2. Kinda like a fighter that puts touch spells into his weapons.

No problem. For me the players handbook core rulebook 3.5 classes are the base. Human, dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, half-orc, halfling. Any variants of these classes should be fine.

I'm open to races from all other books on a case by case basis. As I said the prospect of DMing a pixie group doesn't grip me, but to have a non-standard humanoid race as a PC isn't out of the question. Just shoot me your ideas.

Races of Destiny, Races of Stone, Races of the Dragon, Races of the Wild - have a look through these books as well.

Koreapsu
April 22nd, 2012, 23:49
As I understand it, remove the confusing word "Base" and it is pretty much any race in the hardcover books, subject to DM approval.

However, it seems the issue is straying too far from humanoids like: thri-kreen, minotaurs, bugbears etc. Think of the races you may likely find traveling in predominantly human kingdoms: elves, half-elves, halflings, dwarves... maybe even a half-orc or a goliath.

Furthermore, all these races have sub-types; Strongheart Halflings, Gold Dwarves, Moon Elves, Sun Elves, Santa's Elves :D , etc. I would also assume that, for the sake of saving DM headaches, you avoid sub-types that are considered 'evil' races like drow or duergar, even if your character is good.

I hope I got that right.

That's pretty much spot on.

Having a gelatinous cube pc might prove a little difficult in certain roleplaying situations. I don't mind having an odd character in there, but as a player you might find yourself excluded from quite a few situations purely because of your race, and I really don't enjoy splitting a party up too much and having someone sit there doing nothing - the pc is bored, the other party members rush the encounter and I'm having to split my attention.

Koreapsu
April 22nd, 2012, 23:51
I've been away over the weekend at a couple of weddings but working on the campaign all of today and a lot of tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas I'll be able to get back to you quickly.

Koreapsu
April 23rd, 2012, 00:00
I would be very interested in playing. My older brother might as well. We have been playing for almost 15 years. Let me know! Thanks

I was aiming for a group of 6, but 1 or 2 more wouldn't be a major problem. The goal is to have at least 4 or 5 players at every session.

It might come down to player mix. If you'd like to come up with a character idea I'll throw into the mix with the group and see if it'll work.

Koreapsu
April 24th, 2012, 05:27
Check your inboxes guys. Emailed everyone, but haven't had replies from a couple.

Koreapsu
April 24th, 2012, 13:29
Possibly still looking for a couple of players. If anyone is interested please let me know.

standaloneghost
April 24th, 2012, 20:28
i am definitely interested, shoot me a pm with what your still looking for.

Arangar
April 25th, 2012, 00:43
Can i join? Even if its my first game ever?! :D

Ksathra
April 25th, 2012, 01:35
Ack Sorry for missing the Email, goes to junk because I dont know you're Emails yet. So Does Dragonfire Adept/Warlock fit the slot of Mage? Does Duskblade fit the Mage slot?

Ksathra
April 25th, 2012, 01:52
oh yeah. there is a Feat in the monster Manual (Ability focus) Some GM's dont allow content from the Monster Manuel's so figured I'd best ask before taking it. Looks like Herolab is purchase only? I'll just pass you my Character on FG someday before the Game start.

Koreapsu
April 25th, 2012, 05:59
Sounds fine mate, I'll look into the feat.

Just make as much or as little of your character over the next couple of weeks and then send it to me in any format you like and I'll get it sorted in Herolab.

I'll need to have all the characters about 2 weeks out to write them into the story properly and make any changes I think are needed.

Stat buy system might get tweaked a little, but I'll do the adjustments in consultation with each player.

Koreapsu
April 25th, 2012, 06:20
Can i join? Even if its my first game ever?! :D

We're pretty full mate but PM me your email address and I'll include you in our group emails. If someone pulls out or I think I can handle GMing a horde then we'll have you in :)

Arangar
April 25th, 2012, 07:01

Ksathra
April 26th, 2012, 06:20
I'm sorry but the Wink is just creepy, am I the only one that thinks so?

Ksathra
April 27th, 2012, 09:25
My character seems to be lacking a motivation. He's trying to tap into the magic of the dragons but to what end? seems like the motivation for a character is probably the most important thing for him, yet I made him without one...

Anyone have any good motivations for their characters?

gaara6666
April 30th, 2012, 17:36
still here. just got back from vacation for a week. so my character will be done by wednsday max

Beerholder
April 30th, 2012, 19:04
Reasonable options would be self-discovery and self-improvement. Perhaps its something in his blood and feels it is his birthright. Adventuring gives him the chance to test himself.

Or just go down with the less enlightened motivation of coin and cleavage. :D

My character seems to be lacking a motivation. He's trying to tap into the magic of the dragons but to what end? seems like the motivation for a character is probably the most important thing for him, yet I made him without one...

Anyone have any good motivations for their characters?

Ksathra
May 1st, 2012, 04:40
I never really thought of self-discovery and self-Improvement as a Motivation, seeing as they dont have an end and they are normally things that happen on the way to acomplishing your motivation. Same with Coin and cleavages.

A Character Motivation for me is something that take great time and effort to acomplish but should have a clear and defined end. Like becoming the best swordsmen in the world, it has a clear finish once you beat the currently best. Though that does not fit my character obviously and he would not be motivated towards being the strongest anything really.

I think I might give him something like, "Wants to wed a true dragon" or something like that. It would mean he has to strive to be more draconic first off and find and court a Dragon Female. It would be a long term goal too and it would take lots of effort.

29Quixotic
May 2nd, 2012, 11:57
I was wondering are you still in need of pcs i've got an awesome character cooked up and want to game something horrible so my dedication is not a question just say the word and i'll email you a copy of my Shade monk,who will later become a shadow dancer.

gaara6666
May 2nd, 2012, 22:30
Got my character done. just let me know via pm here if you want me to upload it to FG2...