PDA

View Full Version : Downloading the character sheets into Word/Excel ?

zackspacks
April 17th, 2012, 20:05
Hi guys
Is this possible to do ? Is it a herculean task, or a minor tweak to the ruleset ? This came about from a discussion with Scion on this forum, at Con-Quest, Derby, last weekend. We were discussing writing campaigns on FG, and I said I always like to see the characters beforehand so that I could try and entangle their background and skills into parts of the scenario, and then as they progress, again, build more parts around them. As a matter of course I put them into Excel. Obviously downloading them would be way easier.
cheers
Paul

phantomwhale
April 17th, 2012, 22:47
You can export them in XML format via the front end (and they live in a native XML format within the db.xml file anyway). But from there, you're on your own...

I know there was some integration work with Hero Lab (only for 4E, so far, I think) and that lets you export to a PDF sheet.

Changing an XML file into a CSV file (which Excel would support) would be a matter of a modest script to do so. Doing that in LUA script (e.g. from WITHIN Fantasy Grounds) might be a little more effort. Both do-able.

Of course, a few "print screen" commands should enable your player to send over characters if required... or are you thinking of players sending via excel and uploading them to FGII ?

zackspacks
April 17th, 2012, 23:20
Of course, a few "print screen" commands should enable your player to send over characters if required... or are you thinking of players sending via excel and uploading them to FGII ?Actually I wasn't really thinking that far ahead as for uploading anything. I was just wondering what was readily available:)

Actually 'print screen' could be quite useful for the players to keep hold of their characters in between sessions, never thought of that !:o

cheers
Paul