PDA

View Full Version : The rise of RMC

lachancery
April 16th, 2012, 01:14
The RMC forum has just passed the 1,000 posts mark, joining the two D&D and Savage Worlds in the most active ruleset based forums.

When I joined the FG comunnity 8 months ago, the RMC ruleset was like an abandoned far west town. Slowly, month by month, life returned to the forum, thanks in great parts to the inspiring contributions by Dakadin and Ardem.

I have many ideas how to promote FG based Rolemaster. Life & schedule willing, I am hoping that i will be able to make them happen in the remainder of 2012, and that they will contribute in further raising the popularity of FG RM.

My thanks to the active participants, it's been a very enjoyable ride so far!

Yves.

Trenloe
April 16th, 2012, 01:43
Thanks to you, Ardem and Dakadin it's looking good...

I've played in games ran by you and Ardem and thoroughly enjoyed them both - brought back many good 20 year+ memories and reminded me what a good system Rolemaster is and FG takes away a lot of the maths and table flipping issues making it a joy to play in FG.

dr_venture
April 16th, 2012, 02:25
I've been far too swamped by life to do any further testing on my old crashing bug, but I strongly suspect that the 2.9 release with the up to 4gb memory footprint allocation will resolve my problem. I'd love to have the ruleset available, though I can't really use them with my current campaigns. My thanks to you all who have put so much effort into this ruleset!

JohnD
April 16th, 2012, 05:16
I suspect the 4 gb thing is huge with respect to getting past this error.

Not quite the same, but I had numerous problems with the NWN2 toolset and crashing when I was building my module until I switched to a 64 bit OS and 8 gb of ram.

Edit: Probably come September I'm going to look at running a Greyhawk campaign using the RMC system. I've done that once before and it was, without a doubt, top 2 with respect to the most rewarding DMing experience I've ever had... and that was with everyone using 5 fingers as bookmarks and continual flipping back/forth in multiple books.

Ardem
April 16th, 2012, 07:37
I think Dakadin been working very hard and his extend Rmc is a great credit to him.

Side note in a couple of weeks I will release a free adventure module, would work well for one shots, low level games.

Not as great as 'Wedding at Axebridge' but definitely playable.

So I am looking for picky people to make it better, and go over my grammar and make sure the flow works well. So if you have and hour or two to kill could use your help.

GunnarGreybeard
April 16th, 2012, 08:53
1+ my thanks to those adding to this ruleset.

I've been working on a small, free one shot as well but available time due to work and life has been a killer. Hopefully I can crop out some time to run a game later this summer. Testing the waters for recruiting so far has been pretty hard. Not sure its peoples bias against Rolemasters complexity or my current work schedule.

Dakadin
April 16th, 2012, 17:55
I think I may have said this before but the reason I changed to using FG was because of this ruleset. I started working on getting a campaign going but realized it was taking me a ton of work to do it. Some of it was just my lack of knowledge but I noticed that some of it was the lack of some of the newer functionality. So I ran Savage Worlds and 4E campaigns for a while to see what the more updated rulesets had before going back to Rolemaster. But the main reason, I switched back was because of a lot of you and I thank you guys for it. :)

The increase in activity and the few questions about how things were done got me working on making minor changes until I got the hang of it. Lachancery, Trenloe, Ardem and dr_venture have all given me suggestions or ideas that got me thinking about how I could improve the ruleset. Keep the ideas coming because it really gets me thinking about how we can improve this ruleset. I already have a couple of ideas that I think you guys will be excited about.

I am willing to test/check any adventures you guys are working on. I really appreciate you guys doing it. :D

I think the increase in the memory limit is going to make a huge impact to the RMC ruleset. This ruleset has to be one of the most memory intensive. I've been watching my memory utilization in games for the last few weeks and it starts at a bit over 1 GB and slowly works its way up to the 1.8+ limit that kills it. I have to switch back to FG 2.9 so I can see if I can figure out why some createWindow calls are causing errors.

Thanks again everyone. Let's see if we can get people to realize how great Rolemaster is especially now that we don't have to do a ton of math or table flipping. ;)

Trenloe
April 16th, 2012, 18:11
I think the increase in the memory limit is going to make a huge impact to the RMC ruleset. This ruleset has to be one of the most memory intensive. I've been watching my memory utilization in games for the last few weeks and it starts at a bit over 1 GB and slowly works its way up to the 1.8+ limit that kills it. I have to switch back to FG 2.9 so I can see if I can figure out why some createWindow calls are causing errors.
There is an app that claims to set the required flag to allow 4GB memory on 64-bit Windows, on any executable. Details here:

https://maketecheasier.com/increase-memory-limit-for-32-bit-applications-in-windows-64-bit-os/2011/08/13

Download available from here:

https://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Worth a look as it sounds like you can readily recreate 2GB limit issues? Just backup your FG executable before you run the app...

Blackfoot
April 17th, 2012, 03:00
I'd like to see some options for additional classes .. tricky with the way things are set up in the ruleset currently. If any of the more knowledgeable coders have any ideas how that can be set up easily.. that'd be great.. it looked like a pretty big job to me.

And I have to agree with what everyone's saying here. I was very disappointed after I bought the ruleset a year or so ago and found there wasn't much of an audience and that it had some issues that made it hard to use.

Thanks guys.

Ardem
April 17th, 2012, 03:16
What classes are you exactly after, and is it just the character creation that you need these classes for the drag drop effect?

If so let me know I can make the modications you are after it all very easy, but you will need to let me know the drag and drop attributes.

Please note, classes do not affect any programming changes in game, it only makes the transference of skills easier.

lachancery
April 17th, 2012, 04:14
I created a character with a profession from a companion product last week for a new player that joined one of my game. It took only a couple of minutes to manually type in the skill development costs after dragging the skills over the character sheet. The spell lists can also be typed in manually from the character sheet.

So, the RMC ruleset is fine as it is to extend with new professions (and races). It would be nice though to be able to buy some of the companion books that were published and have it all available as drag & drop. I know Dakadin has some thoughts on how to make that possible.

Ardem
April 17th, 2012, 04:24
Since I do not have RMC or intend to get it as I have RMSS and FRP which I prefer, If I can be provided a excel spreadsheet with the extra professions and skill points people have I can make the suitable modifications to the library file and send it back to them.

If it is races I would need the bonus to main attributes.

Blackfoot
April 17th, 2012, 13:26
The main problem with the classes is that the code is incorporated into the character sheet and reference code rather than being open to new modules with additional classes. Rolemaster had TONS of extra classes that were added in the various companions. Some of them were actually quite cool.

I've misplaced my books at the moment.. but I'll put together some kind of list once I locate them.

Dakadin
April 18th, 2012, 17:17
There are a lot of good points that have been made about classes in the RMC ruleset. As Ardem mentioned, a character's class really only fills in the skill costs when the skill is dragged to the character sheet. So it would be possible to play another class but you would need to manual change the costs of skills as Lachancery said.

But Blackfoot makes a good point. RMC ruleset made the skills the focal point which complicates adding them for a couple reasons. The XML tags in the library modules and the ruleset use the hard coded names of the character classes. This approach makes it labor intensive to add new classes because you have to add the class for each skill in the library modules and also make changes to the the ruleset so they will show up in the skills tables. There is also a limit to how many classes can be added since there isn't much room to add more classes to the tables. They may not have expected to be able to add classes in the future since at the time there were a lot of legal issues with the Rolemaster Companions.

I think what needs to happen is the focal point needs to change to the classes . Then the classes could store the relevant information which the ruleset would be able to access dynamically instead of statically. It would also allow for additional information to be stored with the classes like the primary stats and realm. It still wouldn't solve the problem with the skills table but that could stay the way it is. New skill tables could be created for any modules that wanted to add new classes. But the ruleset would need to look at the classes for skill costs instead of the skills. A separate window could be created to show the class information which could include the skill costs, primary stats, realm, etc. The main problem would be it would be harder to compare class skill costs.

I know this doesn't necessarily help with the current situation but I have some ideas for how it could be accomplished but I am going to have to test a couple things to verify it. It might be a bit since I want to get the FG 2.9 issues worked out and I have a couple things I need to speed up my games. That being said, I would love to be able to add new classes so it will be a priority. ;)

Blackfoot
April 18th, 2012, 17:33
One other snag to this is that many of the additional classes have spell lists associated with them that are not 'standard' so modules that included extra classes would also need to have these lists available as well. I haven't looked at the Spell Law code so I'm not sure how problematic this end of it is.

Dakadin
April 18th, 2012, 19:26
Spell lists shouldn't be too much of a problem. Library modules with new spells should be able to create the their own listings for the lists without any problem. They are grouped with the name of the realm as the tag under spelllists so adding any of the spells from the 3 realms shouldn't be a problem. A scroller control might need to be added to the library template if the list gets to big. The one issue that might be a problem would be adding Arcane spells. I would have to do some testing to see if it actually is a problem though when trying to access the lists from the character sheet.

Beside the potential issue with Arcane spells, you shouldn't have any trouble if you create a separate library module for them.