PDA

View Full Version : Applying effects to multiple targets

graphil
April 11th, 2012, 21:01
Is there a way to apply an effect to multiple targets at once? For example casting slow in an area effect?

ragnaroc1011
April 11th, 2012, 21:10
You can do it during combat by creating the Area of Effect. It is done on the battle map. Not sure exactly how, as I have not needed to do it yet, but I have seen people do it and it appeared pretty easy. I am sure someone else will chime in with the instructions on how this is done.

Trenloe
April 11th, 2012, 21:52
As ragnaroc1011, you can use the right-click -> pointers menu to access cone or circle shapes to work out who you can target with your spell. But, that is as far as this goes - it doesn't target anyone for you, nor does it apply effects.

The best way to do this is to have it all set in a spell in the player's action tab. A lot of the standard spells parse the effect out. You can see the extra details of a spell by pressing the grey d20 icon after the spell name. For example the "Sleep" spell adds the "helpless" effect (condition). For your example (slow) this is not added automatically - you need to right click on the spell entry, "add spell action" -> "add effect" and add a new effect (Slowed) for the relevant duration (1 round per caster level (CL)).

Then, when the player wants to cast this spell:

they should target all of the creatures (NPCs and/or PCs as necessary) within the spell's effect.
Go to their spell entry on the "Actions" tab and open it up fully (click the d20 after the name).
Press the "Cast" button once (below the spell name).
Pressing the Cast button will automatically roll saving throws for all of the targets and untarget those that pass. What you will have left is those who failed will still be targetted.
Double-click on the effect name in the spell entry and it will be applied to all of the remaining targets for the specified duration.

Of course, if you don't want the automation of the saving throws, work out who needs to have the effect applied, target them and double click the effect name in the spell entry to apply the effect for the relevant duration.

You are not limited to just the conditions you can apply. You can create a lot of different effects based on the label: modifiers listed in the 3.5E ruleset user guide.

Trenloe
April 11th, 2012, 21:57
Also, there is a conditions module available inthis post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=115496&postcount=5

This allows the GM to open the module and the "effects" list (person icon in the top right) will have a list of the normal conditions. This allows players to double click on these to apply the effect to themselves, or drag-and-drop them on tokens or combat tracker entries to apply them to other PCs or NPCs, then the duration will need to be manually modified.

If you frequently use an ability that has an effect, it is a good idea to add it as a spell action and configure it that way. A lot of players use such entries for channeling (both to heal PCs and to harm undead), raging, etc.,etc....

Tubel
April 13th, 2012, 12:56
Oooooo more handy hints thanks Trenloe. I'll have to start amalgamating these so I remember them all!

Callum
April 13th, 2012, 16:24
I agree with Tubel - this is the sort of thing that should be in an updated User Guide!

I'd add a couple of additional notes...

1a. If the GM has enabled the Toolbar on a map, a single click on one of the Toolbar symbols will target all friendly tokens, or all unfriendly tokens.

My players like to use the mini character sheets in play. The sequence is basically the same on a mini sheet, except that at 2 you don't need to open up the spell entry, and at 5 you click on the Effect button rather than on the text (the effect text isn't displayed on a mini sheet).

Callum
April 13th, 2012, 21:37
Also, a feature request: a "target" option for pointers on a map with a grid that targets all tokens in the shaded squares.

Tubel
April 15th, 2012, 10:40
Actually I've found a very handy amalgamated list of tips Callum. What you do is click on Trenloe's name and choose "find all posts by Trenloe". :-)