PDA

View Full Version : Con committee needed?

Trenloe
April 10th, 2012, 23:29
Hi folks,

It has been mentioned a few times on threads that perhaps we need a convention committee to make sure that this inaugural Fantasy Grounds convention is enjoyable for all and has a positive impact to people outside of the current FG community.

This is standard practice for all face-to-face conventions I have attended, so I believe that it is pretty relevant for a virtual convention too.

My question is this - do people think we need a committee? Then if you think yes, the loaded question is what roles do you think necessary?

Off the top of my head:

- Chairperson. Chairs meetings, keeps discussions on tracks, has casting vote in the case of drawn voting.
- Secretary. Organises meetings, keeps notes/minutes, distributes info the attendees and relevant parties.
- Publicity. There could be more than one of these. There are a few areas of publicity: corporate (getting on board with RPG companies to either advertise the con or even sponsor come games), general (publicising the con whenever and wherever possible), community (keeping the FG community updated and involved).
- Event admin. Making sure the event booking site is running well. Updating events, details, messages, etc..
- GM coordinator. Cajoling potential GMs to run game/s, making sure games are booked correctly, ensuring GMs know what is expected of them, fielding GM questions, etc..
- Player coordinator. Helping players register, answering Q&A, ensuring what is expected of players is communicated well, etc..
- Event coordinator. Organises any non-game events - such as GM Q&A, Player Q&A, etc..
- Technology - making sure that the site, the voice server, the chat room, etc. are running OK and people know how to access them.
- Organised play co-ordinator. More specific to Pathfinder Society and 4E Living Forgotten Realms (LFR).

These are just a few I've pulled out of the air - I'm sure there are more roles/responsibilities, and I'm sure one person could take on more than one of these.

-----

I'm more than happy to help out in a number of areas - running games, PFS co-ordination, run GM/Player Q&A sessions, general community and beyond publicity.

Dracones
April 10th, 2012, 23:54
I'd say yeah, it needs some sort of committee. One problem I've had with the fgiicon site is sort of the questions of "am I going the right direction with it?", "does it do what a con needs?", "what sort of access should GMs have to create games(do the sessions need approval?)", etc etc. Or questions like, "do we want 1 big teamspeak server and everyone uses that?".

I mean, I'd gladly pay out for a 100 slot teamspeak server and put up wikis on how to use it but I don't want to do that if it's not going to be used.

It's be nice if there was focused "yes let's do this", "no how about this instead", "here are your tasks" type of official direction.

VenomousFiligree
April 10th, 2012, 23:59
I too believe a committee would help to run the Con, however it would probably be best if they were all in the same or similar timezone.

phantomwhale
April 11th, 2012, 00:00
Yes, it needs one. No, I don't have the time. Yes, I'll do what I'm told - just need someone(s) to volunteer to set things up and post some clear instructions :)

madman
April 11th, 2012, 04:15
It has been mentioned a few times on threads that perhaps we need a convention committee to make sure that this inaugural Fantasy Grounds convention is enjoyable for all and has a positive impact to people outside of the current FG community. This is standard practice for all face-to-face conventions I have attended, so I believe that it is pretty relevant for a virtual convention too.

My question is this - do people think we need a committee?
YES! I DO

Then if you think yes, the loaded question is what roles do you think necessary?.

Off the top of my head:

- Chairperson. Chairs meetings, keeps discussions on tracks, has casting vote in the case of drawn voting. ME "Not It"

- Secretary. Organizes meetings, keeps notes/minutes, distributes info the attendees and relevant parties. ME "Not It"

- Publicity. There could be more than one of these. There are a few areas of publicity: corporate (getting on board with RPG companies to either advertise the con or even sponsor come games), general (publicising the con whenever and wherever possible), community (keeping the FG community updated and involved).

- Event admin. Making sure the event booking site is running well. Updating events, details, messages, etc. ME "I Would Think Dracones is already on this on. So he gets my vote."

- GM coordinator. Cajoling potential GMs to run game/s, making sure games are booked correctly, ensuring GMs know what is expected of them, fielding GM questions, etc..

- Player coordinator. Helping players register, answering Q&A, ensuring what is expected of players is communicated well, etc.. ME "This I Could Do"

- Event coordinator. Organizes any non-game events - such as GM Q&A, Player Q&A, etc.. ME "This I could do?"

- Technology - making sure that the site, the voice server, the chat room, etc. are running OK and people know how to access them. ME "This I could Handle no problem"

- Organized play co-ordinator. More specific to Pathfinder Society and 4E Living Forgotten Realms (LFR ME "I Vote for Trenloe on this one" for the PFS.

These are just a few I've pulled out of the air - I'm sure there are more roles/responsibilities, and I'm sure one person could take on more than one of these.

I'm more than happy to help out in a number of areas - running games, PFS co-ordination, run GM/Player Q&A sessions, general community and beyond publicity.
Here is where I would like to see Doug step in and say I would like to see Blah.. Blah.....
I think he is not wanting to get too involved for some reason, lack of time maybe.
But it is his product being represented here and I would think he would have some guidelines for us.

Chris

Ready to buy the ultimate license in like 10 days, thank God for tax returns.

Dracones
April 18th, 2012, 17:35
Well, not exactly a huge influx of volunteers :)

Though this first con doesn't have to be a real huge event with a lot of drag on people's schedules, so if we need to keep it small it can stay small.

My vote would be on Trenloe for chief con shaman. Managing the site and event bookings I can handle. Madman did you have good teamspeak server experience? If not I can also setup something for this.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2012, 19:19
Well, not exactly a huge influx of volunteers :)
Yeah, the usual tumbleweed when volunteers are asked for! ;-)

Though this first con doesn't have to be a real huge event with a lot of drag on people's schedules, so if we need to keep it small it can stay small.
I agree - as this looks like the committee will be small, I don't think we should bite off more than we can chew. A small but successful and enjoyable con is much better than trying for a big con that falls apart.

My vote would be on Trenloe for chief con shaman. Managing the site and event bookings I can handle. Madman did you have good teamspeak server experience? If not I can also setup something for this.
OK - I'll step up. I'll contact you and Madman offline and we can get moving.

If anyone else feels they can help out in the needed background tasks for this convention please get in touch with me.

Dakadin
April 18th, 2012, 19:29
I didn't see much that I would be much help with except some of the technical things which I know you guys have covered. I am willing to help out. I just am not sure what role that would be since some of the left over roles don't fit my strengths. :o

Trenloe
April 18th, 2012, 21:11
I didn't see much that I would be much help with except some of the technical things which I know you guys have covered. I am willing to help out. I just am not sure what role that would be since some of the left over roles don't fit my strengths. :o
No worries - I'll put you on the list of helpers. :) I'm sure we'll need help as we get closer and during the con - even if it's just running the con chat room for a couple of hours during the con to point people in the right direction and troubleshoot/escalate issues.

Zeus
April 18th, 2012, 22:42
I think a committee or steering group is a good idea to help ensure the event is run smoothly. I for one will happily support the event as best I can.

As for Smiteworks support, whilst I don't work for Smiteworks and thus can't guarantee anything I am sure Doug and John will support the con as best as they can. Both are incredibly dedicated to the development of not only the software and company but also to the community. I'm guessing Doug is tied up with other equally important matters and we all know John is neck deep in building the next great release of FGII. Lets cut them some slack guys and give them some time to catch up with the forums.

It might not be a bad idea to drop Doug and John a PM, the forums can get pretty busy with posts and its quite easy to miss the odd post from time to time.

Mirloc
April 19th, 2012, 00:10
I would be willing to help out in any way you need. I don't think I have any skills that aren't already covered.