PDA

View Full Version : Long-Term Epic Story Pathfinder Campaign forming in late May --interested?

Teak
April 10th, 2012, 03:57
Hi everyone,

I am 41 and a father with 3 kids. I used to DM in highschool and college. Played during law school (but did not DM). Had kids and missed gaming for 10 years (although I did play WoW, EQ LOTRO, and SWG). I'm back to paper and pen via virtual tables (as it is impossible to find a local group and my wife would throw a fit that I was out of the house, again) -- and looking for similarly type players.

I am working on the following type of campaign using the Pathfinder ruleset.

Weekly games (Friday night 9pm to midnight EST)
Ideal party size 4-6
Looking for one-year committment.
Set in PathFinder's Inner Sea Campaign Setting
Will include parts of existing Pathfinder adventure paths (such as kingmaker) and original content
Fantasty Ground 2 and Teamspeak (audio-only)
Epic story taking characters from level 1 to 20 over 52 gaming sessions.
20 point build, racial traits ok, any race fine, any skill fine, any class fine (except no gunslingers)-- anything 3.5 or PF ok. No magic items to start with as you build character. Any standard equipment can be added for free at level 1. Characters start with 150 gold.
Characters that plan on going prestige classes fine--- no limits on the PF and 3.5 specializations and prestige classes
Ultimate Combat ok (but no armor/dr or wounds and vigor), Utlimate Magic ok
No evil characters. Chaotic good and neutral ok. but neutral good and above prefered. Players are supposed to be the heroes
Characters will come from humble beginnings, initially clearing small dungeons as lowly adventurers. Over time bigger and more complex stories and plots involving factions and kingdoms are introduced. Characters will continue to do dungeons but with goals and objectives tying into broader plots. Ultimately, the PCs will be involved in saving the world from impending doom.
Adventures will be dungeons, towns, caves, tombs, outdoors, wilderness, castles, forts, ocean and underwater (not likely to have planes).
Magic and magic items are rare and awe-inspiring.
Fantasy story telling and plot will be similar to Terry Goodkind writings in The Sword of Truth Series.
Enemies will not always be monsters, and monsters will not always be enemies.
Emphasis on roleplaying and story telling
Dialogue and problem solving heavily rewarded.
Oh, there will be combat!
Mature players sought--ideal those who like to roleplay via teamspeak (audio-only). We do want players that are respectful to give everyone a turn to speak.
While the campaign is serious in nature, humor plays a part and intelligent humor desired and welcomed (like the PAX 2011 Celebrity games on youtube).
I would prefer that players use Herolab to create and update their characters.
Herolab house rules--no guns, bonus 0-level ability, free upbringing feat, don't require memorized spells, favored class NOT required, no coin weight and no encumbrance, use traits and flaws, max HPs at each level,

If you have an interest in this type of campaign, please let me know.

Teak

ragnaroc1011
April 10th, 2012, 19:03
I sent you a message on this, I am interested. What would be the Character Creation rules? Point buy ect? Thanks in advance.

TheGrimReaper
April 10th, 2012, 23:37
i would really love to get involved with this group if there is a opening

Teak
April 11th, 2012, 01:01
Thanks for the interest-- I did update my initial post with the point build, race, class info.

So far we a roque type.

What are you interested in playing?

TheGrimReaper
April 11th, 2012, 01:41
Fighter Archetype Armor master

Teak
April 11th, 2012, 02:01
Excellent -- Our group is now full!

1. Fighter (the grim reaper)
2. Inquisitor (ragnaroc)
3. Bard or Sorcerer or cleric (sharek)
4. Ranger (Jasonthelamb)
5. Ranger-type (Balrick)
6. Any (hopefully healer) (MAcgreinie)

ragnaroc1011
April 11th, 2012, 04:10
So by no Advanced Combat, does that include all information from both Ultimate Combat and Ultimate Magic? Just need to know so I can modify my Inquisitor if that is the case. Thanks.

Teak
April 11th, 2012, 04:49
We are using Ultimate Combat and Ultimate Magic but not the option rules related to wounds/vigor or armor/dr. Piecemeal armor and called shots ok.

Shanek
April 11th, 2012, 05:21
I would be interested but my 3.5 is extremely rusty.

ragnaroc1011
April 11th, 2012, 05:33
We are using Ultimate Combat and Ultimate Magic but not the option rules related to wounds/vigor or armor/dr. Piecemeal armor and called shots ok.

Thanks for the clairification Teak! Looking forward to the game. Any preferred format you want our characters to be sent to you in?

Shanek
April 11th, 2012, 05:55
Sorry forgot to mention class. i am thinking either bard or sorcerer, if i get a chance to join you.

Teak
April 11th, 2012, 13:45
That's fine --- mine is rusty too--- what I am more interested in is the role playing and story with other players who value that --- while rule lawyers are needed not everyone needs to be one.

Teak

jasonthelamb
April 11th, 2012, 15:11
Hey I'm a D&D noob, but I'd LOVE To get in on this, I'm looking for something long-term, and I would enjoy an all-good (or neutral) setting, gets annoying when you try and be the light in shining darkness all the time.

So, if you don't mind having a D&D noob in your realm, I'd love to give it a go :)

Teak
April 11th, 2012, 18:29
That would great Jason--- what class are you interested in playing? We could use a healer but play what interests you.

jasonthelamb
April 11th, 2012, 18:36
Well I play a Paladin in my current one, I was really interested in looking a Ranger-type player.

Teak
April 11th, 2012, 19:49
Ranger would be great! I am also so glad someone is playing a bard---that is my favorite class (i remember fondly the original bard as it wasn't a class you started with -- you had to be a fighter for awhile).

jasonthelamb
April 11th, 2012, 19:54
Ahh OK, then yes I'd love to be a ranger - I'll probably need some help creating him... or someone to look over his sheet and tell me what i've done wrong once he's made.

monkeyfeet228
April 11th, 2012, 20:15
I'd love to play if you'll have me, I'm planning a cleric though I'm still sifting through a handful of ideas.

Teak
April 11th, 2012, 20:18
If you are using herolabs you can actually import them to your local fantasy grounds data application folder so when you log into my game that character will be available. There is a link I will post tonight for the doing that import from herolabs into fantasy grounds. Then after each adventure you update your character in herolabs (after I assign xp) and reimport -- this way the characters are updated the most efficient way (in my opinion).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15025

Teak

ragnaroc1011
April 11th, 2012, 20:22
As far as need right now, we need a healer.

For the last slot, well that depends on what Sharek plans on doing. We will either need an Arcane class or a stealthy, "Imma gonna stab you in da back and steal yo momma's prized ring" type character. ( <---- while he picks the locks and deactivates those traps before I blunder into em)

monkeyfeet228
April 11th, 2012, 22:37
When's the planned go time for this?

Teak
April 11th, 2012, 22:43
The plan is a launch in mid to late May (I have to get all the ideas from my head into FG). Once that is ready we are looking at 9pm to midnight Friday nights .

Shanek
April 11th, 2012, 22:44
As much as I love bards, I'm more than flexible to play a Cleric if needed.

monkeyfeet228
April 12th, 2012, 01:29
Do you mind if I don't use Hero Lab? The amount they charge is just too much for me

Teak
April 12th, 2012, 03:48
That's ok Monkey-- if you send me your sheet I can build it herolabs for you-- I will send you a private message with my email address.

Teak
April 12th, 2012, 03:55
Excellent -- Our group is now full!

1. Fighter (the grim reaper)
2. Inquisitor (ragnaroc)
3. Bard or Sorcerer or cleric (sharek)
4. Ranger (Jasonthelamb)
5. Ranger-type (Balrick)
6. Any (Macgriene)
7. Cleric (monkeyfeet)

Ok guys.

Next steps:
1. i will be setting up the teamspeak server in the next week or so
2. I will be creating a webpage and forums for us in the next two weeks
3. Finalize your class selection now that you can see the entire group above.
4. Be thinking about your backstory (doesn't have to be fancy).
5. If you are familar with the Inner Sea Campaign setting we are going to be starting in Bervoy.
6. Once the forums and teamspeak are set up I will get everyone registered and we can start our getting to know each other while I continue to build the FG content.
7. Looking for a mid-to-late May start, but in the meantime I would like us to get to know each other via the forums (again once they are setup).

Teak

Shanek
April 12th, 2012, 04:08
Teak i may be able to take care of the ts and forums if you are interested. Let me know.

ragnaroc1011
April 12th, 2012, 05:26
Teak, if it looks like we dont have a healer, I will re-roll to a cleric from a Inq. Hopefully not, but if so no worries. Also, if you dont have a TS server running, I already have a Vent server that is and is not being used.

Shanek
April 12th, 2012, 05:28
Stay inq rag :) I can fill in for whats needed once the last member decides.

monkeyfeet228
April 12th, 2012, 05:58
So it sounds like my cleric is out?

ragnaroc1011
April 12th, 2012, 06:08
So it sounds like my cleric is out?

Sorry I did not see your post Monkey. I dont see why you cleric would be out unless the DM has other news!

Teak
April 12th, 2012, 16:40
That would be awesome if you handled the teamspeak and forums!

Teak
April 12th, 2012, 16:46
Monkey you can jump in as well. That brings us to 7 (which is good if someone can't make it for a session we will still have a good group).

How many of you are using herolab? I know some of you aren't that can be ok.

I have found some of the casting dynamics to be frustrating and I would like to test in some sample combat encounters before we officially launch. Is anyone willing to get on teamspeak and run some combat testing before we officially launch?

balrik
April 12th, 2012, 17:47
ok I am generally good for any class....as a watch this it appears the arcana is not there so I will fill that roll unless someone would prefer it I am good for what ever.

I do not use hero labs I build my characters in FG or I can just do it on your server if we get together some time I am getting MUCH better at building classes.

if you are looking to chat with my I am on Skype a lot Milkman from Canada Maxville

my Email is [email protected] although I would just prefer PM's here....I can run combat with you if you we set up a time I am here to help and I have a few people I can ask FG questions of on the spot so that helps I think thats all the info for now

ragnaroc1011
April 12th, 2012, 18:35
Monkey you can jump in as well. That brings us to 7 (which is good if someone can't make it for a session we will still have a good group).

How many of you are using herolab? I know some of you aren't that can be ok.

I have found some of the casting dynamics to be frustrating and I would like to test in some sample combat encounters before we officially launch. Is anyone willing to get on teamspeak and run some combat testing before we officially launch?

I will, I know some things about effects within FG and have ran a few adventures so I can show you what I know as well as test some things out.

I think it would be good if we can all get together at some point in TS to discuss the exportation of characters from Hero Labs and how to import them into FG. Also so that everyone can send you a copy of the characters in FG format (.xml) so you can review the Characters, then import them into the Campaign before we begin. There is still a bit of setup, but we have the crew now so all the setup stuff should not be bad.

So with that in mind, how does next Wednesday night at 9 pm est sound for a get together in Teamspeak to answer any questions people may have on exportation or importing characters, etc?

Teak
April 12th, 2012, 20:21
Yes I would be up for getting on teamspeak next wednesday night to go over those logistics. Could we do 9:30pm est as I am flying back from NYC that evening (that will give me a little cushion in case the flight is delayed).

Shanek
April 12th, 2012, 20:47
Forums will be taken care of tonight and i will have a ts room made on the server. Teak, i bought herolabs last night and can do any testing you need.

jasonthelamb
April 12th, 2012, 21:37
Im not keen on spending $30 on Hero Labs, I don't think it's something I'd be using very often... if it's required, I can probably buck up and get it, but I'd prefer not to.

ragnaroc1011
April 12th, 2012, 22:00
Yes I would be up for getting on teamspeak next wednesday night to go over those logistics. Could we do 9:30pm est as I am flying back from NYC that evening (that will give me a little cushion in case the flight is delayed).

@Teak Sounds good!

@Jason Hero Labs is not needed, but it does make character creation a little quicker. If you don't want to buy Hero Labs, we can get together on TS and work on making a character for you on my Hero Labs. I can then export him, import em into Fantasy Grounds, make sure that everything imported correctly then send you the character.xml file that will be your character for FG.

Or if you prefer it to take a little longer, then create a new campaign in FG, using the PFRPG rule set and create a character from there. Do not use the Manage Character option to create your character. The Manage Character option in this version of FG does not support the PFRPG ruleset so certain skills and possibly some feats will be slightly off. (Such as Manage Character will use Hide and Move silently instead of stealth which is used in PFRPG)

Shanek
April 12th, 2012, 22:26
I did get a secondary license for Herolab to run on another computer that someone can use.

Trenloe
April 12th, 2012, 22:36
If you don't have access to Hero Labs, you could use PCGen to create your PC and then use the Fantasy Grounds export files to create a file that the FG character importer can read (the PCGen export definition files are provided with the FG character importer). IMHO PCGen is nowhere near as thorough as Hero Labs - but it's free. I've had issues with PCGen's character generation in the past not creating characters that adhere to the Pathfinder rules fully - so make sure to double check with the Pathfinder rulebook what it is spitting out.

Oh, and make sure to run the version of PCGen that the character importer is compatible with! :)

(Sorry Teak for hijacking your thread - if you don't want the PC's without HL to use PCGen let me know and I'll delete this post)

Shanek
April 12th, 2012, 22:37
Okay guys forum and teamspeak is set up and our forum is made.

In order to access it, please go to www.dirtnapgaming.com, register and apply. We accept applications pretty quickly, then go to the groups tab and look for the Pathfinder group and apply to it. I'll accept you and you'll get ts info and the password for our room along with access to our personal forums

Teak
April 12th, 2012, 22:57
We are all in this together (and again for the record I am new to FG so please be patient) and I welcome all the help possible.

Teak

balrik
April 13th, 2012, 01:41
no in creating a character hero labs makes it simple...personally I enjoy the process of making my toon so I prefer a more hands on like a pen and paper table game I can jsut make my char in server one night with teak we have ample time and as of right now I am not sure what everyone is and such so I think the get together wensday ngiht sounds good we can hash out things

Teak
April 13th, 2012, 04:47
Okay guys forum and teamspeak is set up and our forum is made.

In order to access it, please go to www.dirtnapgaming.com, register and apply. We accept applications pretty quickly, then go to the groups tab and look for the Pathfinder group and apply to it. I'll accept you and you'll get ts info and the password for our room along with access to our personal forums

I created my account and can see the Pathfinder group but the apply button says "you cannot join this group".

Teak

Shanek
April 13th, 2012, 04:49
Balrik had the same issue. You have to apply to the community after you register. It should be at the top of the screen. Do u want me to hop on ts to walk u through?

Teak
April 13th, 2012, 04:54
Balrik had the same issue. You have to apply to the community after you register. It should be at the top of the screen. Do u want me to hop on ts to walk u through?

gotcha-- ok, i have done that and just waiting for the approval-- your site looks awesome! I appreciate you taking care of the forums and TS3!

Shanek
April 13th, 2012, 04:55
K one sec i will approve ya

Shanek
April 13th, 2012, 05:03
Okay so I got teak, balrik, and ragnaroc all in the group. You guys should all have access to our group and will be able to make new threads in the group discussion tab on the right.

jasonthelamb
April 13th, 2012, 09:24
i think i did it right....

TheGrimReaper
April 13th, 2012, 14:38
Soon as im done dealing with crap on base will get teamspeak downloaded and get my name verified. Would love to get on there tonight if anyone is available, still designing characters may come in handy with team feats.

ragnaroc1011
April 13th, 2012, 16:30
Hey Grim. I am online for a good portion of the night everynight. I will log into TS around 7:00 est and will stay in there in the Pathfinder Channel until I go to bed in the wee hours of the morning. If anyone wants to pop in and pick my brain about Pathfinder or Fantasy grounds, then please do. I don't know everything, but I do know quite a bit.

Callum
April 13th, 2012, 16:56
Epic story taking characters from level 1 to 20 over 52 gaming sessions.

If you have an interest in this type of campaign, please let me know.
It sounds great, Teak! If I didn't have my hands full running my own level 1-20 campaign, I'd jump right in. You might find it takes a little longer than you've suggested, though - we're over 200 sessions in, and the PCs are 15th level. Mind you, we're playing 3.5E, and some of those sessions were just two or two-and-a-half hours long...

Shanek
April 13th, 2012, 17:21
Jason, you should be set up now on the website. I sent you an invite to join the pathfinder group where you will have access to our private forum.

The only one's left to register that I haven't see are:
TheGrimReaper
MonkeyFeet
Macgreinie

TheGrimReaper
April 13th, 2012, 17:47
Will be getting registered soon as im off the ship

TheGrimReaper
April 13th, 2012, 21:19
ok applied soon as its approved will log in

jasonthelamb
April 14th, 2012, 02:08
I'll try to get on ASAP, have some work things to do - but will def try and be around :)

monkeyfeet228
April 14th, 2012, 02:44
Mkay I'm registered on dirtnap now and have my TS all set up (unfortunately, it's no use to me at the moment since I left my headset a 3 hour drive away. I'll have it back Monday night though). Wednesday team meeting sounds awesome and I'm hoping I'll have my character pretty much set except for tweaking by then.

Shanek
April 14th, 2012, 04:47
teak is the password

Averix
April 14th, 2012, 23:24
Any room still?

monkeyfeet228
April 14th, 2012, 23:26
So I guess I didn't set up my application right on DirtNap. Should be fixed now I think

ragnaroc1011
April 14th, 2012, 23:47
Balrick,

GrimReaper is thinking about changing class to the rogue... would you be willing to roll a fighter?

TheGrimReaper
April 15th, 2012, 01:24
I am so confused which to play i cant decide which to play a rogue or fighter !!

goblin rogue/ dwarf fighter.....

monkeyfeet228
April 15th, 2012, 01:26
What kind of role would you like to fill?

You could go for a merger with a rogue dip and then go fighter(cad) as your main?

Teak
April 15th, 2012, 02:53
Hi Averix,

Unfortunately we are full at this point. If that changes, I will let you know.

Teak

ragnaroc1011
April 15th, 2012, 04:17
Please check the forums on our community site. https://www.dirtnapgaming.com/page/index.html

There is a post in the fourms under our social group concerning Classes.

Thanks,

Rags

Shanek
April 15th, 2012, 05:27
I'm on TS if anyone wants to chat.

Teak
April 15th, 2012, 18:39
Hi to all the new people-- At this point the group is FULL. If that changes, I will be accepting new players.

Thanks

Teak

ragnaroc1011
April 15th, 2012, 20:46
Okay so it is official. Bal is making a Fighter, I will be changing up classes to a Sorceror to fill up the Arcane need. Aasimar is an allowed race???? :) :)

Teak
April 16th, 2012, 02:21
I am ok with Aasimar but you will need to add two flaws (something that will produce some roleplaying and story opportunities)

Soulein
April 16th, 2012, 22:13
Could I be considered if you have any openings? I was going to roll a Human Rogue. I was thinking of either staying straight rogue, or multiclassing into fighter.

Teak
April 16th, 2012, 22:31
Hi,

I already have seven players which 1 over the first limit I set of 6. In my opinion, once get over six players it is hard to DM and hard for players to feel like they get their share of the actions. It is also hard to construct dungeons for 8 players. At this point I am considering the groups closed. If someone drops out I will let you know.

Teak

ragnaroc1011
April 16th, 2012, 22:33
How about these two faults Teak... they could add some good roleplay moments:

1- Absent-minded
While you are not truly forgetful – you may have an amazing
storehouse of knowledge built up – you have a hard time
remembering day-to-day minutia such as appointments,
where you left your thieves’ tools, what day your wedding
anniversary is, or even what day it might currently be.
Penalty: Once per game day, the character must make a
DC 15 Will save to successfully remember everyday things,
such as where they have their belongings or other seemingly
unimportant details. If the save is successful, the character
remembers the small details for the day. If the save fails, the
character forgets a number of minor things (GM’s discretion
as to what is forgotten or misplaced, and where the items
really are).
This does not affect spellcasting, since the absentmindedness
only interferes with mundane details and not
important specifics.
Buying Off the Flaw: The character must invest an
ability score point gained from leveling up into Wisdom.

2 -Lecherous
You find it nearly impossible to not ogle members of your
preferred sex, and you usually do not realize how obvious
you are being. You are also often compelled to try and
proposition anyone you find attractive.
Penalty: The character must make a Will save (DC
equal to the Charisma of the person they are dealing with)
or suffer a -3 penalty to all Charisma based skills with that
person.
Buying Off the Flaw: The character must spend 2 skill
points on Diplomacy and 3 on Sense Motive.

I think they will go well with my Aasimar Sorc/Rogue (and eventual Arcane Trickster)

Soulein
April 16th, 2012, 22:41
Hi,

I already have seven players which 1 over the first limit I set of 6. In my opinion, once get over six players it is hard to DM and hard for players to feel like they get their share of the actions. It is also hard to construct dungeons for 8 players. At this point I am considering the groups closed. If someone drops out I will let you know.

Teak

Cool, thanks.

Teak
April 17th, 2012, 02:46
How about these two faults Teak... they could add some good roleplay moments:

1- Absent-minded
While you are not truly forgetful – you may have an amazing
storehouse of knowledge built up – you have a hard time
remembering day-to-day minutia such as appointments,
where you left your thieves’ tools, what day your wedding
anniversary is, or even what day it might currently be.
Penalty: Once per game day, the character must make a
DC 15 Will save to successfully remember everyday things,
such as where they have their belongings or other seemingly
unimportant details. If the save is successful, the character
remembers the small details for the day. If the save fails, the
character forgets a number of minor things (GM’s discretion
as to what is forgotten or misplaced, and where the items
really are).
This does not affect spellcasting, since the absentmindedness
only interferes with mundane details and not
important specifics.
Buying Off the Flaw: The character must invest an
ability score point gained from leveling up into Wisdom.

2 -Lecherous
You find it nearly impossible to not ogle members of your
preferred sex, and you usually do not realize how obvious
you are being. You are also often compelled to try and
proposition anyone you find attractive.
Penalty: The character must make a Will save (DC
equal to the Charisma of the person they are dealing with)
or suffer a -3 penalty to all Charisma based skills with that
person.
Buying Off the Flaw: The character must spend 2 skill
points on Diplomacy and 3 on Sense Motive.

I think they will go well with my Aasimar Sorc/Rogue (and eventual Arcane Trickster)

those are perfect! That is going to be awesome! I can see the dialogue already and am giggling--- exactly in the spirit of the type of atmosphere I am trying to foster! Well done!

Teak

Hemophage
April 28th, 2012, 16:03
I would really like to be "waitlisted" if a spot opens up :) i wish i had seen this thread sooner to be a part of the game

balrik
April 28th, 2012, 21:14
sorry this game has been put on hold teak has personal issues going on

JamesKnouse
May 1st, 2012, 20:46
Teak. Would you mind if I logged in and surveyed your game?

ragnaroc1011
May 2nd, 2012, 17:01
Game is back on. Looks like issues keeping us from playing were resolved. Looking forward to it Teak.