PDA

View Full Version : FG v2.9

Dakadin
April 10th, 2012, 02:48
I was just curious if anyone has tested the RMC ruleset using FG v2.9 yet. I should be able to in about a week or so but wanted to know if anyone experienced any issues so I can try to track them down once I test it.

Ardem
April 10th, 2012, 07:55
No I have not tested it, I gone through a slump in doing much with FG at the moment, but I spent a day yesterday working on my RP World.

Dakadin
April 12th, 2012, 05:59
I did some quick tests earlier today and noticed 2 issues so far.

The first one is pretty major. When opening the Combat Tracker, Fantasy Grounds closes with an error. I am going to try to isolate the error and see if I can fix it.

The second one gives a console error when opening a spell list. It doesn't prevent the spell list from opening. It just opens the console with this error:

Script Error: [string "spelllist:spelllist"]:1: createWindow: Unable to create window

Dakadin
April 19th, 2012, 06:35
I tracked this down as far as I could and posted a message in The Laboratory, Test Release v2.9 (alpha) forum. I think I was able to track it down to where the error occurred which will hopefully help JPG to resolve it without to much effort.

Dakadin
April 26th, 2012, 08:07
I just did some testing of the memory limits in FG v2.9 and I think 2.9 is going to make a big difference. I am running Windows 7 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM. I was able to get the commit size for FG to 3,948,940 K. My machine was moving slow by that point but it was running pretty good until around 3.2 GB when it started paging to the hard drive. I've attached a screenshot. By comparison, FG crashes at just over 1.8 GB with the current version of FG. With 2.9, it never crashed for me. It just stopped displaying the contents of the image files once I got around the 3.9 GB limit. This is great news for the RMC ruleset. I know it will solve my problems. :D

I've attached a screenshot.

JohnD
April 26th, 2012, 17:00
Well... this will be a big step forward.

Trenloe
April 26th, 2012, 19:59
I just did some testing of the memory limits in FG v2.9 and I think 2.9 is going to make a big difference. I am running Windows 7 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM. I was able to get the commit size for FG to 3,948,940 K. My machine was moving slow by that point but it was running pretty good until around 3.2 GB when it started paging to the hard drive. I've attached a screenshot. By comparison, FG crashes at just over 1.8 GB with the current version of FG. With 2.9, it never crashed for me. It just stopped displaying the contents of the image files once I got around the 3.9 GB limit. This is great news for the RMC ruleset. I know it will solve my problems. :D

I've attached a screenshot.
Cool! Get some more memory and you'll be flying! ;)

Dakadin
April 26th, 2012, 20:51
Actually, I think I will be fine since FG will have access to an extra GB before it starts to impact me. I am also using an SSD so the slowdowns aren't nearly as bad. ;)

dr_venture
April 26th, 2012, 22:14
I'm not running anything in RM, so am not inclined to swap out to the dev version right now, but I'm glad to hear that the larger memory footprint is making a difference. I strongly suspect that this will solve my crashes, too. I sure would love to run a RM game at some point!

Dakadin
April 26th, 2012, 22:22
Don't switch to FG v2.9 until we get the Combat Tracker issue resolved with v2.9. Right now FG crashes when opening the Combat Tracker in v2.9. JPG is looking into it.

Dakadin
May 3rd, 2012, 04:49
JPG has a new release for v2.9 that fixes the issue with the combat tracker and spell lists. I've been able to successfully test both of these issues and I also retested the memory usage and was able to get it to 3.76 and 3.88 GB before my laptop started crawling and I got bored. ;)

I will be doing a few more tests before using it in my game this weekend. I think Lachancery is going to be testing it with his game also. If anyone else decides to test it and you encounter any issues please post them so we can get them resolved before v2.9 goes live.

Thanks.

GMBazUK
May 3rd, 2012, 11:07
Firstly I want to extend my gratitude to Dakadin, Ardem, Lachancery...etc for their unselfish labours in vastly improving this wonderful ruleset, for those who lack the skill by which to do so. Thank you.

With regard to issues, (using v2.9) I have recently run a brief combat as a host and locally connected a single further session and have observed the following:
1. Combat criticals (notably in my test Puncture and Slash results for a dagger attack) : Table results (Descriptive text) did not appear
2. On "mouse over" of identified tokens on the map, I did not see any pop up descriptive text.

I will continue to... dabble.

Baz.

Dakadin
May 3rd, 2012, 17:02
Thanks for the feedback and for testing it, GMBazUK.

1. I was able replicate the combat criticals in the results portion of the table resolver. It looks like is stopping after adding just one blank cell to the table. The funny thing is I can drag a critical table to the top portion of the table resolver and it works fine but it doesn't in the results portion at the bottom. I will track down the cause and get a fix implemented.

2. I can't replicate the mouse over issue not showing the tool tip. Did you drag the tokens from entries in the combat tracker?

I haven't had a chance to go in depth testing it but I should be able to do that tonight. I did notice that the filling in of the First Glance field preference from Extend RMC isn't working so I will look into that too.

Dakadin
May 3rd, 2012, 17:04
For issue #1, try holding down control and making the window just a bit larger. All the descriptive text appeared once I did that. I will still try to get it working at the default size though.

GMBazUK
May 6th, 2012, 09:28
Hi Dakadin
Ah, the plot thickens. I was using a dual monitor setup on the day in question. I'll run some comparative tests (now I'm starting to sound like I know what I'm doing).

With regard to your point 2... I'm pretty sure I would have generated an encounter (as I love the feature so much) and dragged the tokens from there. I will check it again today to make sure.

As an aside, (and please do not consider this a request) would it be a monumental task to add the Encounters to the /export function of the ruleset?

Baz

Dakadin
May 7th, 2012, 18:13
As an aside, (and please do not consider this a request) would it be a monumental task to add the Encounters to the /export function of the ruleset?

Hi Baz,

That was an oversight on my part. I hadn't tried exporting it when I posted the update. It was pointed out to me on Friday and I am already adding it. I just have an issue I need to resolve first.

If you do have suggestions, please let me know. I have a pretty long list but I am always willing to add to it to the list. :)

Dakadin

Trenloe
May 7th, 2012, 18:18
Hi Baz,

If you do have suggestions, please let me know. I have a pretty long list but I am always willing to add to it to the list. :)

Dakadin
If you're doing the /export for encounters - please see if the issue with encounters (and tokens) not being linked to the module has been fixed in V2.9 (or if you can fix it as part of the /export command). I think the tokens are fixed in V2.9, but not the encounter entry (although I haven't tested in the latest beta version).

Dakadin
May 7th, 2012, 18:28
If you're doing the /export for encounters - please see if the issue with encounters (and tokens) not being linked to the module has been fixed in V2.9 (or if you can fix it as part of the /export command). I think the tokens are fixed in V2.9, but not the encounter entry (although I haven't tested in the latest beta version).

That's the issue I am working on now. I saw this thread on it: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15799. But I haven't had time to check to see if it was resolved in V2.9. I will check it tonight.

Dakadin
May 24th, 2012, 02:30
I just tested the latest version of FG 2.9 and my code. All the outstanding issues that I am aware of seem to be resolved so things are looking very good. I need to test my code for compatibility with FG v2.8.1. Hopefully everything goes well so I can release a new version of Extend RMC.

Dakadin
May 24th, 2012, 17:54
I posted a new version of Extend RMC. With the new version of FG v2.9, things are running very smoothly for the Rolemaster ruleset. If you've had issues in the past please give it a try with FG v2.9 and Extend RMC v1.2.15. I am pretty sure you won't have the same issues you've had in the past but please let me know if you do encounter any issues.

bennis1980
May 25th, 2012, 13:04
Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble updating to version 2.9? Mine won't update past 2.8.1

Trenloe
May 25th, 2012, 13:14
Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble updating to version 2.9? Mine won't update past 2.8.1
Have you downloaded "TestModeManager.exe" from the downloads page and set it to "Test" before you start FG? This is the "test mode slot" MW refers to in the first post of the V2.9 Beta thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16454

bennis1980
May 25th, 2012, 13:31
Aah, I've just done that. Is there any risks to doing that? (is it reversable)

Trenloe
May 25th, 2012, 13:45
Aah, I've just done that. Is there any risks to doing that? (is it reversable)It's a bit too late to ask now, isn't it! ;-)

Yes, it is "reversible" - just follow the instructions in the first post of the beta thread I referenced above.

Any data modified in campaigns in V2.9 will stay modified when you roll-back to V.8.1. Before you open any of your 2.8 campaigns it is recommended to backup the whole of your "campaigns" directory - just so you can get back to those when/if you roll back to V2.8.1.

bennis1980
May 25th, 2012, 13:53
Thanks and don't worry, I haven't much in the way of important info as I'm still figuring things out. I don't think I'll have to roll back either though as Dakadin seems to be doing a good job staying on top of things with the extension.

I think I'm taking a lend of your character (the hobbit?) tonight for lachancery's session. I hope you don't mind. The lads are very helpful, and it will be great to see FG in action from a player's perspective. Any tips?

Trenloe
May 25th, 2012, 14:01
I think I'm taking a lend of your character (the hobbit?) tonight for lachancery's session. I hope you don't mind. The lads are very helpful, and it will be great to see FG in action from a player's perspective. Any tips?
No problem at all - Yves (lachancery) had checked with me if it was OK. Look after him - he's not much into combat, but when it comes to stalking and hiding he's up there... Just scream like a girl when things get tough and the rest of the group won't even notice I'm gone! ;)

bennis1980
May 25th, 2012, 14:05
Lol, don't worry I won't go hand to hand with the first troll we meet as was my original plan :-)

I will keep him safe (even though he's cursed)

lachancery
May 25th, 2012, 14:18
Just scream like a girl when things get tough and the rest of the group won't even notice I'm gone! ;)
Well, unless he can mimic your accent, we will always notice you're missing. ;)

bennis1980
May 25th, 2012, 14:21
Well, unless he can mimic your accent, we will always notice you're missing. ;)

Ahem... I think I will be the only one with a thick Irish accent - to be sure :)

lachancery
May 25th, 2012, 14:31
Ahem... I think I will be the only one with a thick Irish accent - to be sure :)
Hey, that might be close enough to pass as Trenloe! He's australian I believe (or is he from New Zealand, I forget?)

In the first session Trenloe joined the game, he snuck up on the party in the dark. The chat between the dwarf (Dakadin) that followed was priceless...

bennis1980
May 25th, 2012, 14:39
I think I can attempt that. He could have just come down with a nasty cold for the day

Dakadin
May 26th, 2012, 23:48
I just wanted to let everyone know that there is only 1 more issue with FG v2.9 and the RMC ruleset that I am aware of. When dragging rolls to the chat window it won't register them in the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the chat window.

I am working on getting this resolved right now but in the meantime if you are running a game using v2.9 please be sure to let your players know that they need to drop their dice in the top half of the chat window.

Also if you are testing please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Thanks,
Dakadin

lachancery
May 27th, 2012, 00:30
I just wanted to let everyone know that there is only 1 more issue with FG v2.9 and the RMC ruleset that I am aware of. When dragging rolls to the chat window it won't register them in the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the chat window.
There's also the unexplained cache error we got in my game yesterday when I pushed the image for the sword (which no one had ever seen before).

I don't know if it's coincidental, but when I pushed the image of the sword, I had pre-loaded another image, which never got to be shown to you guys (it was behind that door that you didn't end up opening).

Trenloe
May 27th, 2012, 07:43
I think this was introduced with the dynamically resizing chat window to help make dice roll results look the same on different sized screens. Notice where the dice start rolling if you roll using double-click, this is essentially the area where you need to drop the dice if drag-drop rolling. Without this it is possible that people with different screen sizes will see the numbers on dice differently. The result shown in the chat window text will always be the same, but it is nice to see the same number on the dice.

Ardem
June 18th, 2012, 06:29
Played 2.9 with FRP and Extend RMC (first time) last night

HUGE improvement - One one point throughout the game we suffered dice lag and it was to do with the inventory skill window was open for a dice roll. (So this bug has not been killed)

But everything went smoothly and only got one minor issue on the screen issues with combat window open.

I was a very happy man last night. First smooth night for a long while. And we got through 3 major combat sequences which is not bad for RM.

Dakadin
June 18th, 2012, 08:05
Glad to hear it. I worked with JPG to resolve all the issues that Lachancery and I were encountering with using v2.9.

The only one that I know we missed is the one that GMBazUK mentioned here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125857&postcount=200) where the chat bar label isn't changing to show the chat type when holding down the appropriate key. I don't use text for the most part in my games so I missed it.

One one point throughout the game we suffered dice lag and it was to do with the inventory skill window was open for a dice roll. (So this bug has not been killed)

Do you mean the skill tab of the character sheet or something else? I would like to get some more details so I can track down the issue so you don't have to worry about it in the future.

Blackfoot
June 19th, 2012, 19:05
There is an issue in 2.9 with Manage Characters (in the RM ruleset)
When you open characters you get this error:
Script Error: [string "rrwindow"]:1: attempt to index a nil value

and it seems to fail to load the resistance piece of the main tab.. and then just about everything else after that... skills, spells, inventory... all blank.
This is both for server and local characters.

EDIT: Interesting... ran the test again with a 'new' clean RM load... not a server version... and the error did not occur.

Dakadin
June 19th, 2012, 19:25
I just tried it with a 'new' clean RM load like you mentioned and now I can't get the error to come back even with existing campaigns. Does it work that way for you also Blackfoot?

Blackfoot
June 19th, 2012, 21:21
Nope.
I tried our Friday game... error.
New RM load.. no problem.
Friday game ... error returns.

It may be a problem with that campaign... although we last played it in 2.9 beta... there might be something tweaked now with the live version.
Hopefully after we play again this problem won't exist... if not then I guess we'll have to figure it out. :)

lachancery
June 20th, 2012, 04:21
EDIT: I only see the error when I load manage character with the original RMC 1.2 without the Extend RMC extension. It works fine when I either load Manage Character on our Friday Game, and when I load it with the extension.

Ablefish
June 21st, 2012, 18:40
We played with the update for the first time last night (4E ruleset) and we noticed that the Resistance information on the main tab didn't seem to be working either. If applied as an effect it worked normal, but just not from the main page.