PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start DMing

Blahness98
April 6th, 2012, 23:48
I just picked up an ultimate license and am looking at becoming an active DM. That being said, I have only been a player in the past and never really attempted to DM before. Any suggestions from the community at large for a newbie DM?

JohnD
April 7th, 2012, 01:02
I've been told a good way to speed up the learning curve is to join/observe a game and just see what goes on and how the experienced DM handles everything.

madman
April 7th, 2012, 02:06
The more games you can play in the better. You can experience the various styles of GM'ing. The best way I think is to jump in and be up front with your players. I am learning, and will make mistakes. I have been gm'ing for decades, I forget rules, or roll the wrong die etc........ Jump in and try to make it fun for your players and they will keep coming back for more.

Good Luck

Chris

Trenloe
April 7th, 2012, 02:31
I just picked up an ultimate license and am looking at becoming an active DM. That being said, I have only been a player in the past and never really attempted to DM before. Any suggestions from the community at large for a newbie DM?
If you're interested in Pathfinder/3.5E then keep on eye on this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16302

I'm planing on running one (or more if there is interest) sessions specifically for GM's who are interested in running games. Specifically this is geared at those wanting to run the odd Pathfinder Society adventure, but I won't reject people who are just interested in general if there is space for them.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2012, 02:34
I have been gm'ing for decades, I forget rules, or roll the wrong die etc........
Like all of us old-hands forgetting that Gelatinous Cubes are immune to critical damage (ooze traits). :)

Actually, thank goodness for that - otherwise there might have been a fatality last night... :D

madman
April 7th, 2012, 02:45
Ha .................................Thanks??????????? ??????

Chris

Trenloe
April 7th, 2012, 03:44
Ha .................................Thanks??????????? ??????

Chris
You're welcome! :D

That's the problem when as a player I'm trying not to metagame and "blanking" my mind to what I know out-of-character. I was just surprised there was no DR against Perry's all powerful rapier.

madman
April 7th, 2012, 05:21
Nope no DR on those! Even though it seems it would have it.

Chris

leozelig
April 7th, 2012, 21:26

Run a couple simulated encounters without any players. Get a feel for navigating the combat tracker, rolling the monsters' attacks, removing tokens from the CT/map, etc.

Spend a few minutes learning how to manipulate the map also - panning, unmasking, zooming... You can join your own game (localhost) if you want to see what the players would see.

If you want, you can also play around with the different chat functions... story text, changing speaker id (/id *npc name*), things like that. Not essential though.

I don't know what ruleset you are running, but you might hotkey some modifiers or rolls. I always hotkey /die hide and /die reveal.

Once you get the hang of that, plan a short low-level game (1 or 2 encounters). You will be an old pro in no time!

Z