PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds: Fantasy skin extension

Ikael
April 4th, 2012, 10:10
I bought this Fantasy skin extension for Savage Worlds and find out that it's poorly constructed. The worst part is that it's not fully compatible with Savage Worlds 3.2 ruleset :( :( I don't know why but the extension "updates" from windowclasses which actually downgrades them because they from older version of SW ruleset. I have also found console errors and warnings when using this skin extension with SW32. I wonder if SmiteWorks is aware of this and if fix is planned for this product. I know that cost of $3 isin't much but still as a customer I am very dissapointed and this makes me worry about quality of other similar products.

Doswelk
April 4th, 2012, 13:15
This extension was upgraded to be compatible, so I am not sure what the problem is..

PM me I'll sort you out.

Ikael
April 4th, 2012, 13:47
Thanks for response,

I have listed few issues that I blindfoldedly find. The extension I downloaded from store contains following XML files:

extesion.xml (icons and frames are defined here)
modifiedwindows.xml (this downgrades windowclasses :( from 3.2 and makes it incompatible). Constains following windowclass definitions sw_tools_gm (broken badly), chat, encounterlist --> UNUSED in ruleset, renamed to "storylist", imagelist, itemlist, npclist, vehiclelist, combatlist, effectlist, notelist, modifierlist. I wonder what's purpose of including these windowclasses here, how are they "updated"?
notusedyet.xml (what is this for?)

In addition ext is missing few resources:

icons/title_monsters.png NOT FOUND~ but it's not used anywhere in ruleset
icons/tab_base3.png NOT FOUND/PROVIDED
icons/tab_base2s.png NOT FOUND/PROVIDED

I have no idea what version I got but I managed to do workaround with it by removing windowclass updates and missing resource defs. However I haven't done any side-effect study and hope that product owner could do it and prep this product better.

Doswelk
April 4th, 2012, 15:16
I have no idea what version I got but I managed to do workaround with it by removing windowclass updates and missing resource defs. However I haven't done any side-effect study and hope that product owner could do it and prep this product better.

Like I said I re-wrote all the extensions as part of the play-testing with 3.2 which is why I am surprised about this problem, I suspect the store is still "selling" the older version.

The Fantasy ruleset used more custom windows than the others due to the artwork it used, hence it was more incompatible. PM me and I'll sort this out. :)

phantomwhale
April 5th, 2012, 00:30
As cool as it is that your helping Ikael out directly, Kevin, I really think we need to flag up to Smiteworks if the download link people have for this skin is pulling down the wrong version.

Equally, Ikael, I presume this purchase was very recent, or that your went to the store to ensure you had the latest version if not ?

Overall, I hope these problems will go away with FGII version 2.9, as it features an update engine for all the commercial products it seems, so will ensure people have the latest, greatest versions. As long as they remember to push them down, that is ;)

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2012, 00:41
I just flagged Doug to have him double-check the link in the store.

Cheers,
JPG

Doswelk
April 5th, 2012, 01:34
As cool as it is that your helping Ikael out directly, Kevin, I really think we need to flag up to Smiteworks if the download link people have for this skin is pulling down the wrong version.

I agree but at the same time if there is a problem with the Theme I have a willing play-tester :)

ddavison
April 5th, 2012, 01:46
Ikael,

Unfortunately, this file was out of date in the store. Both PhantomWhale and Doswelk did indeed spend a good amount of time getting this updated with the latest patch to Savage Worlds and it never got promoted to the store. It's now been updated and the download limit has been reset to allow it to be re-downloaded.

Sorry for the issue.

-Doug

Ikael
April 5th, 2012, 07:45
Thanks all again for quick response,

I redownloaded the extension and it works fine now! Glad to hear that this was only old-dated resource issue. Hopefully other customers have got their updated version so they would not lack any of those superior SW3.2 features in their ruleset.

Fantasy Skin looks awsome and will definitely boost fantasy mood in games :)

AMonkeyWithAFez
April 16th, 2012, 18:01
I just updated my version of the Modern Skin and I cannot see the numbers in the modifier box. If I roll the mousewheel and then roll the dice, they do have the modified number added to the roll... but I cannot see the total modifier.

I guess we can play it like Russian Roulette... you may get a bonus or you may get nothing ;)

Doswelk
April 16th, 2012, 18:36
The issue will be the font code for the modifier text, I'm away from my FGII until next week so I am unable to tell you more than that right now....

AMonkeyWithAFez
April 17th, 2012, 21:41
No problem. I looked in the .ext file after unpacking it and tried everything I could. nothing worked, so I'll be happy to wait until you get at it. we are not playing again for another 1.5 weeks.

AMonkeyWithAFez
April 25th, 2012, 15:01
Hey Doswelk,

Any chance you got some time to look at the modern skin and the modifier box?

I couldn't make heads or tails of it...

Monkey <----- picture framer (I can fix a saw and a joiner, but not a computer program ;-) )

Thanks!

Doswelk
April 25th, 2012, 19:32
When you unzipped the .ext did it look like this?

(Sorry for not replying sooner only got home yesterday) :o

AMonkeyWithAFez
April 26th, 2012, 03:47
yes looks just like that.

When you unzipped the .ext did it look like this?

(Sorry for not replying sooner only got home yesterday) :o

Doswelk
April 26th, 2012, 11:02
yes looks just like that.

Right we will try this quick fix first....

The attached file should be called fonts.xml (but I had to to change it to fonts.log to upload)

1) Copy the Modern extension (.ext file) to a safe place
2) Rename the .ext file (in the extension folder) to .zip
3) Unzip this zip file so it creates a folder in the extensions folder (for example my theme is in a folder called Savage Modern Theme, when I open that it looks like the screen shot in a previous post)
4) open the graphics folder
5) rename the current fonts.xml to fonts.bak
6) copy in downloaded fonts.xml

I'll will check through all the extensions this week and re-upload them to Doug so he can push them out as updates.

AMonkeyWithAFez
April 26th, 2012, 13:56
Will do, once I get my computer running a litte later.

Thank you for the assistance!

Right we will try this quick fix first....

The attached file should be called fonts.xml (but I had to to change it to fonts.log to upload)

1) Copy the Modern extension (.ext file) to a safe place
2) Rename the .ext file (in the extension folder) to .zip
3) Unzip this zip file so it creates a folder in the extensions folder (for example my theme is in a folder called Savage Modern Theme, when I open that it looks like the screen shot in a previous post)
4) open the graphics folder
5) rename the current fonts.xml to fonts.bak
6) copy in downloaded fonts.xml

I'll will check through all the extensions this week and re-upload them to Doug so he can push them out as updates.

AMonkeyWithAFez
April 26th, 2012, 16:21
This worked!

Thank You.

Will do, once I get my computer running a litte later.

Thank you for the assistance!

Ikael
February 1st, 2013, 11:35
No wanting to raise the dead, but... is this extension updated to fit for SW v3.3 use? I just re-downloaded it from the store, and I can see some old graphical and chat windowclass definitions which are not compatible with SW 3.3 chat features (resizable and movable). Am I missing something here or is it not going to be fixed?

Doswelk
February 1st, 2013, 14:00
And after I was soo nice to you about your extension... :p

To be honest I thought PW and I spent time checking them all before 3.3 was released.

I'll have to have a look when I get home from work and check now.

If my copies work, then I'll check the version I uploaded to the FTP, if they are fine then the problem lies with the version on the store.

But I cannot check that for another 4 hours.

Ikael
February 1st, 2013, 14:21
And after I was soo nice to you about your extension... :p

To be honest I thought PW and I spent time checking them all before 3.3 was released.

I'll have to have a look when I get home from work and check now.

If my copies work, then I'll check the version I uploaded to the FTP, if they are fine then the problem lies with the version on the store.

But I cannot check that for another 4 hours.

I didn't mean to be rude. I just found this out after noticing that I have been using my own hacked version of the theme, wanted to use the original version and boom! I have no hurry regarding this, only after two weeks I would love to use the awesome fantasy chatframe in my game instead of the hacked one :)

Doswelk
February 1st, 2013, 16:32
No offence was taken,I did not think you were being rude at all! (The down-side of text only conversation is that the tone in which a thing is typed cannot be heard).

Looking at the versions I uploaded to the FTP (not able to test on FGII, just examining xml code) I think the 3.3 versions are there, just not in the store.

What isn't working properly in the store version?

Ikael
February 1st, 2013, 21:37
What isn't working properly in the store version?

The screencapture shall reveal more than thousand words, but I will give few anyways.

The whole chat windowclass is defined with old code. When I resize it, the frame doesn't scale along and when I move the window, the OOC/Chat/Emote etc icon leaves to original place as it has static position. Also noticed that you can even close the whole chat window by right clicking and selecting close! I found this by accident when I tried to reset window's position to original :O And yes there is no return thereafter.

I strongly believe that I haven't got the latest version because there are really blockers in my opinion. Dough, help :)

Doswelk
February 1st, 2013, 23:14
Finally tested it and yes, it was updated, so the store version is out of date. :(

ddavison
February 2nd, 2013, 19:48
Hey guys, this should now be corrected in the Store installer and also get picked up in the next "Update Available." Sorry for the issue.

Ikael
February 3rd, 2013, 19:34
Thanks for the update! Now the extension works :)

CounterpartJack
March 12th, 2013, 17:33
I bought the SciFi skin, and I still have the same issue as Ikael with the chat window. Also, the "chase" button still appears as per the default SW skin. Is there an update for the SciFi skin scheduled?

Doswelk
March 12th, 2013, 17:42
All the skins were updated to work with SWD (3.3) the store is not updated.

Hopefully Doug will notice and fix.