PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Society GMs Wanted!

Trenloe
April 2nd, 2012, 23:26
Calling all prospective Pathfinder Society GMs!

I've just started GMing the odd PFS game and organising through the Fantasy Grounds/PFS Yahoo group:

https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/

It seems that there is keen interest among playersn (the most recent 3 games have been fully subscribed), but not so much from GMs. So, I'm sending this message to try and get some more GMs onboard.

What we're looking for are GMs who want to run a game now-and-then. We're not looking for any regular comitment - that's the beauty of PFS, the games are self contained in a 4-5 hour session.

We'll be happy to help GMs take the first steps into running Pathfinder Society games. Alos, the first time a GM runs a specific PFS scenario they can credit that scenario to one of their PFS characters - so you can level up your PCs quicker (if that's what you want) or have a wider pool of PCs for you to choose from when you play.

So - we're looking for more volunteer GMs - run whatever scenario you what whenever - advertise on the Yahoo group (use the sign up application if you wish) and hopefully you'll get some takers for your game and off you go!

Any questions, just ask...

wbcreighton
April 3rd, 2012, 18:28
Calling all prospective Pathfinder Society GMs!

I've just started GMing the odd PFS game and organising through the Fantasy Grounds/PFS Yahoo group:

https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/

What we're looking for are GMs who want to run a game now-and-then. We're not looking for any regular comitment - that's the beauty of PFS, the games are self contained in a 4-5 hour session.

Any questions, just ask...

I think the 4-5 hours is realistic if you use VOIP. Not so realistic if you mainly use text chat.

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2012, 19:16
I think the 4-5 hours is realistic if you use VOIP. Not so realistic if you mainly use text chat.
Absolutely. We have a Ventrillo server we use for our games - voice is definitely a requirement for these games.

Mgrancey
April 4th, 2012, 00:23
Would you be willing to share modules?

I polled the group, but only 1 other person was willing to run or help out, most just wanted to play, and while modules aren't expensive they add up and since there are none in my area that play PFS I can't really justify such a regular expense to myself. I'd be willing to contribute to buying modules to run, which honestly what I was kinda hoping for, but since no one said they were willing to help I stopped paying attention to the yahoo group.

Trenloe
April 4th, 2012, 06:29
Would you be willing to share modules?
Unfortunately, sharing modules would be a breach of copyright, so I don't want to go down that route. Providing scenarios over the internet is not like organising a PFS game in a store where the game organiser can print the module, give it to the GM and then get it back at the end of the session. Once the scenario/module is out there it's out there...

I polled the group, but only 1 other person was willing to run or help out, most just wanted to play, and while modules aren't expensive they add up and since there are none in my area that play PFS I can't really justify such a regular expense to myself. I'd be willing to contribute to buying modules to run, which honestly what I was kinda hoping for, but since no one said they were willing to help I stopped paying attention to the yahoo group.
I hadn't thought of this. The cost of a PFS module is $3.99. So, perhaps a reasonable charge per player of $1 could be levied to mean the GM doesn't have to carry the expense of buying the module?

I'm not sure what the most cost effective way of getting up to 6 x $1 payments to a GM would be. Anyone have any ideas? I presume paypal, for example, would take some share of it before passing it on to the GM in question???

So, one question would be - would players be willing to pay $1 per game to cover a GM's costs?

Personally, I'm not that bothered if players pay me or not - the GM in any RPG I've ever played has always ended up buying most of the rulebooks, scenarios, add-ons, etc.. However, I can understand that me being OK with buying the PFS scenarios to run myslef might not be the normal view. I'd welcome feedback on this.

My aim - if possible, is to get more than a few GMs involved so that the odd one-or-two GMs are not carrying all of the weight of running games. I realise this may not be possible, but I'm an optimist and I hope this is not the case... :)

It would be a shame if all we get every 2-3 months is an enthusiastic GM who runs a few games but then drops out because it's only them carrying the weight. Hence the reason for starting this thread to try and get more GM support.

PFS is a 4-5 hour session for each scenario. I 'm not asking anyone to commit to running a campaign - if we get 8 people who run one scenario a month that means we have 2 games a week. Is that too much to ask??? It will also allow the GMs to play in some games too.

This is an ideal chance for people who haven't done that much GMing to get onboard and give it a go. Time to give a bit back to the community and run the odd game. If people can provide me proof that they have purchased a PFS scenario, I'm more than happy to put the bulk of that scenario into a Fantasy Grounds module (.mod) file for you to use to run a PFS game as part of the group.

I'm also more than happy to provide support in getting organised to run a PFS game - both in terms of what is expected of a PFS scenario and in running a Pathfinder game in general under Fantasy Grounds.

Mgrancey
April 4th, 2012, 06:41
Sharing the cost is the main idea I had, assign someone to be the treasurer and buy modules for the group, not publicly shared but available for the GMs who would run for the group. I don't want to rip off Paizo, I like their stuff and wish I had people locally to run for/with, but while its only $4 that adds up quickly for something I won't get to play only run.

Converting a PDF to module in FGII doesn't take much of effort (mostly copy and paste), as I did it for Scales of War group I am running, in case of bad weather and we couldn't get together physically.

Nestor
April 4th, 2012, 12:53
I would be interested in both GMing and playing.

I have some original content that I wrote for 4e, that I could re-work for pathfinder. I would be happy to give it to the other GM's (after I run it of course)

my availability would be after 8:00 PM - 11:00 pm CDT, day of the week changes but i do have some flexibility.

I also have a 10 man mumble server for voice.

Trenloe
April 4th, 2012, 15:35
I would be interested in both GMing and playing.
That's great!

I have some original content that I wrote for 4e, that I could re-work for pathfinder. I would be happy to give it to the other GM's (after I run it of course).
That's cool also. But, what I'm specifically referring to in this thread is the Pathfinder Society organised play campaign ran by Paizo - similar to the 4E Living Forgotten Realms campaign. Information here:

https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety

Ozzy
April 4th, 2012, 16:10
I would be willing to GM some. I am free every other Sunday evening after 8PM Central.

I am new to Pathfinder and PFS, but have been gaming for over 20 years. Until now I have only used FG to play 4E. So would love to sit in on a game or two as an observer before getting behind the screen.

ragnaroc1011
April 4th, 2012, 16:34
I was in a PFS with you last night Tren and it got me wanted to GM some games. I will be looking towards that route as I get a little more experience in FG and PF.

Trenloe
April 4th, 2012, 18:42
I was in a PFS with you last night Tren and it got me wanted to GM some games. I will be looking towards that route as I get a little more experience in FG and PF.
Glad the game yesterday got you in the mood to GM some... :)

I would be willing to GM some. I am free every other Sunday evening after 8PM Central.

I am new to Pathfinder and PFS, but have been gaming for over 20 years. Until now I have only used FG to play 4E. So would love to sit in on a game or two as an observer before getting behind the screen.

There have been a few people mention that they'd be interested in GMing, but are new to PFS and/or FG. So, I'm planning on running one or two "intro" session, aimed at people interested in GMing PFS in Fantasy Grounds. These will take the form of an actual game, but will be more interactive in terms of going through what the GM is doing and allowing people to ask questions, and how to do the PFS admin - and then providing some form of the FG .mod at the end (taking copyright/permission from Paizo into account).

Killian
April 5th, 2012, 11:10
I've been thinking about helping out the group by GMing a bit, since I have the full FG license, my one custom campaign kind of fell flat on it's face with time issues and my own severe Attention Deficit :P This is why I do think the one shot modules by Paizo suit me because if I have a free weekend I can throw in a campaign into the FG system, announce it and be done by the end without the brain-ache of prepping for the week after and writing everything up.

I will admit though my DMing experience is next to zero so any introductions would be great, especially on the procedure of taking a Society reguated adventure from purchase to import to running and then the writeup afterwards. Any of these intro sessions please send me a message as I will be quite interested.

Nestor
April 6th, 2012, 19:11
I signed up for the Pathfinder Society, and I am willing to GM a few games.

I went ahead and picked up the Pathfinder Society Scenario,

Decline of Glory.

Alt Sundays starting at 8:00 PM Cdt is pretty much what I can do at this point.

Ill try and set the first session for April 15th, I can change that up if needed.

Ill run five players, ill need to report the Chronicle sheets to Pazio,

So the slots will go to the first five players to Private message me their:

Pathfinder Society Number
Character name
Faction

I am not sure what tier I will run yet, and I am open to discuss

this adventure goes from 1-2, 3-4, 6-7

Ozzy
April 8th, 2012, 00:30
Hey Nestor, tried sending you my character but your inbox is full.

@Trenloe - Any idea when you will be scheduling the intro session?

ragnaroc1011
April 8th, 2012, 00:34
Glad the game yesterday got you in the mood to GM some... :)

There have been a few people mention that they'd be interested in GMing, but are new to PFS and/or FG. So, I'm planning on running one or two "intro" session, aimed at people interested in GMing PFS in Fantasy Grounds. These will take the form of an actual game, but will be more interactive in terms of going through what the GM is doing and allowing people to ask questions, and how to do the PFS admin - and then providing some form of the FG .mod at the end (taking copyright/permission from Paizo into account).

Hey Tren, I am very interested in this as well. I picked up a few pointers with the game we played, but getting a behind the scenes view while playing through a scenerio would be most excellent.

Killian
April 8th, 2012, 11:42
hi. you're times are unfortunately too late for me in the UK, but wanted to say you'll get loads more players and support including ready to import character sheets if you advertise the game in the group: https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/

I signed up for the Pathfinder Society, and I am willing to GM a few games.

I went ahead and picked up the Pathfinder Society Scenario,

Decline of Glory.

Alt Sundays starting at 8:00 PM Cdt is pretty much what I can do at this point.

Ill try and set the first session for April 15th, I can change that up if needed.

Ill run five players, ill need to report the Chronicle sheets to Pazio,

So the slots will go to the first five players to Private message me their:

Pathfinder Society Number
Character name
Faction

I am not sure what tier I will run yet, and I am open to discuss

this adventure goes from 1-2, 3-4, 6-7

Nestor
April 8th, 2012, 13:42
I added a calendar entry, to be honest I am not very familier with yahoo groups, but I will start a topic about it.

Nestor
April 8th, 2012, 13:47
Well, I created a yahoo account friday, now it says that my account has been suspended for inactivity.

Ill try and do it again later today.

Trenloe
April 8th, 2012, 15:17
I added a calendar entry, to be honest I am not very familier with yahoo groups, but I will start a topic about it.
Best thing is to start a topic about it in the group and also expand more in the calendar entry (see an example from Tuesday 3rd). Also, make sure you enter the time and time zone in the calendar entry description - it is not always obvious what timezone the calendar itself is using.

Well, I created a yahoo account friday, now it says that my account has been suspended for inactivity.
That seems a bit short notice. Were you send an email to the email address you registered with where you had to click on a link to confirm or something like that? Check your junk email folder to see if it is hiding in there.

Nestor
April 8th, 2012, 16:19
ok I got it the yahoo stuff sorted out.

I can't figure out how to edit the calendar entry.

I added a post but now cannot seem to find it,
sorry but I am clueless about the yahoo group, it is not very intuitive, for me.

Trenloe
April 8th, 2012, 16:36
Cool! :)

Click on the calendar entry itself and it should come up filling most of the browser. There should be an [edit] and [delete] option after the title.

When you get into editing the entry, the "notes" section is initially quite small - you can expand it by clicking-and-dragging the bottom right corner of the notes field.

This is a "feature" - it seems to take a few minutes for your post to appear. Wait a minute or so and then click on the "Messages" link in the left hand menu and you should see it.

sorry but I am clueless about the yahoo group, it is not very intuitive, for me.
No worries, you're right - it isn't very intuitive. It took me ages to find the button to start a new topic! :o

Trenloe
April 8th, 2012, 17:52
See thread (and associated calendar entry) in the Yahoo fg2pfs group:

https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/message/685

A couple of people can't make this (sorry Nestor and Killian) so I am thinking of running another during a weekend if there is enough interest.

ragnaroc1011
April 8th, 2012, 18:18
I am free either way as long as the time doesn't get any earlier. I dont get home from work most nights before 7:15 pm est.

Blackfoot
April 10th, 2012, 19:25

sorry but I am clueless about the yahoo group, it is not very intuitive, for me.Did you have any luck sorting this out?
The group arrangement isn't exactly 'easy' to work with but it does have some useful stuff connected with it.
One trick for finding messages is that you need to sort by topic. That tends to stuff all the threads together in nice little bundles. Then you open up your 'topic' and all the replies to your message should be there. Yeah.. ok it's not intuitive.. but it does work. The best stuff with the group is the files section, applications, database, calendar... there's even a chat thing if anyone were ever on there. If I were setting it up I might choose a different venue.. but there are over 100 people in the group.. and when GMs are running something the games do seem to fill right up... so it seems to work.

Nestor
April 10th, 2012, 19:52
Ok, I started an application in the group and the game is listed, all interested parties please sign up here: https://groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/app/rsvp/entry/view/94c8a62a-e5d2-4cb1-a928-fee3de1fb709

people so far:

ragnaroc1011 - Pally
Trenloe - Ranger
Ozzy - ???
prindlemire - ????

Trenloe
April 10th, 2012, 21:45
Ok, I started an application in the group and the game is listed, all interested parties please sign up here: https://groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/app/rsvp/entry/view/94c8a62a-e5d2-4cb1-a928-fee3de1fb709

people so far:

ragnaroc1011 - Pally
Trenloe - Ranger
Ozzy - ???
prindlemire - ????
Nice work! I've added my super-under-optimised Ranger (I created him first when I knew *nothing* about Pathfinder/3.5E/3.0E/2.0E...). :-)

ragnaroc1011
April 10th, 2012, 21:56
Nice work! I've added my super-under-optimised Ranger (I created him first when I knew *nothing* about Pathfinder/3.5E/3.0E/2.0E...). :-)

Maybe this time I can keep my Pally up for a battle.... he got the fuznucka knocked outta him from that Ape Shaman on the ridge. It was a lucky flaming orb... and I will stick to that story.

Trenloe
April 10th, 2012, 22:08
Maybe this time I can keep my Pally up for a battle.... he got the fuznucka knocked outta him from that Ape Shaman on the ridge. It was a lucky flaming orb... and I will stick to that story.
It was a lucky flaming orb, or an unlucky reflex save... Just as well the Ape shaman was involved fighting an Elf archer for the rest of the battle otherwise that flaming orb (Batman!) might have caused more havock! :-o

Trenloe
May 3rd, 2012, 19:51
GM intro session running this Sunday (6th May) 1pm US Eastern.

See here: https://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/fg2pfs/