PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Properties

KhybersGhost
March 29th, 2012, 12:22
Awesomely, a field for Weapon Properties has been added in the new alpha patch but I am wondering .... how does this field even work?

Does it support standard 3.5 core weapon properties? I tried listing a weapon as "Flaming" but this did not seem to have any effect. Just thought I would get a discussion started here for it. Thanks in advance!
:o

Callum
March 29th, 2012, 16:22
A flaming weapon deals fire damage - so I think you should put "fire" in that field instead.

I don't think there's an official, comprehensive list of 3.5E magical weapon damage types anywhere, but I believe that the list of spell descriptors (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#descriptor) is a superset of it.

KhybersGhost
March 29th, 2012, 18:24
I've played around with it a little bit. It doesn't seem to change anything with added descriptors there. (Having tried Fire, [Fire], Flaming and even DMG: +1d6 fire;)

Will keep messing around with it and see if anything changes. I'm sure its a matter of me just not using the right commands or it may be meant for information purposes only

Callum
March 29th, 2012, 20:18
Have you tried using the weapon to attack a creature with fire resistance?

Moon Wizard
March 29th, 2012, 22:06
The weapon properties field will probably grow with time. Right now, it is mostly a bucket to hold the weapon properties when dragging and dropping from the weapons table or items list.

The only other thing it does right now is support the "Touch" property, which means that all attacks with this weapon are treated as touch attacks. This was added to support PFRPG firearms which are touch attacks at short range. Just set up 2 entries for the gun (one touch, one without).

Regards,
JPG

morgurth
February 26th, 2013, 03:22
How would you handle things like Misfire and Capacity for the Firearms? (i.e. the Blunderbuss with it's 1-2 misfire chance).

I've been adding in the Firearms to the d20 PFSRD Equipment module manually (XML editor and zip/rename). I didn't see that a Firearms category was in the module I downloaded.

Trenloe
February 26th, 2013, 03:25
How would you handle things like Misfire and Capacity for the Firearms? (i.e. the Blunderbuss with it's 1-2 misfire chance).

I've been adding in the Firearms to the d20 PFSRD Equipment module manually (XML editor and zip/rename). I didn't see that a Firearms category was in the module I downloaded.
You'll have to do misfire manually.

Not sure what you're referring to by capacity? Could you cover this with the "Ammo" entry of a ranged weapon?

morgurth
February 26th, 2013, 14:23
Cool, thanks.

And, Yeah, I'm guessing Ammo will cover it. This https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/firearms has "Capacity" listed.

spacce1889
March 17th, 2013, 06:25
How do you add ghost touch? And do I get Cold Iron Damage Reduction to not be over come by cold.

Trenloe
March 17th, 2013, 18:54
How do you add ghost touch? And do I get Cold Iron Damage Reduction to not be over come by cold.
Ghost touch is not covered in the ruleset - there is some initial code in the 3.5E ruleset around a damage type of "incorporeal touch" but this is not fully implemented and has been removed as a valid damage type.

EDIT: Regarding DR x/Cold Iron - As Gwaihir Scout says in the next post, cold is an energy type and ignores DR; so the ruleset works correctly.

Gwaihir Scout
March 17th, 2013, 19:31
Isn't cold an energy type and therefore not affected by DR?

Trenloe
March 17th, 2013, 19:40
Isn't cold an energy type and therefore not affected by DR?
Good point. :)

spacce1889
March 25th, 2013, 04:19
Would adding 'force' to a weapon property have the same effect as ghost touch?

Trenloe
March 25th, 2013, 04:37
Would adding 'force' to a weapon property have the same effect as ghost touch?
Yes, I think this would - if you use "force" as a damage type (weapon property will not do anything). Currently, all the "force" damage type does is set a flag that ignores incorporeal damage restrictions - so this looks like it will work perfectly as this is all that the damage type "force" is currently coded for in the ruleset. I've ran a quick test (Merisiel's rapier with "force" as a "Dmg Type" against a Ghost) and it applies all the damage.

Good idea! :)