PDA

View Full Version : New, would LOVE to get started! :]

Blainee
March 27th, 2012, 23:49
So, I played D%D at a friends house a good few years ago (We spent two hours making our characters and never really got to the playing) but since then I have been craving atleast a game to find out what its like! I've not actually played anything like this before, (I'm 17 so I've kinda grown up on the Xbox, Runescape, and WoW.) but I would love it if someone gave me a chance!

I'm GMT, can play any time, any day, any system (I'll be honest, I'm not completely sure what that is) would just really like to get started. :]

Thank you for reading!

GunnarGreybeard
March 28th, 2012, 00:42
Check your PM inbox.

Blainee
March 28th, 2012, 00:49
Thanks alot! :D

devster
March 28th, 2012, 01:46
welcome. I hope we cross paths in a dungeon someday soon.

Blainee
March 28th, 2012, 02:18
welcome. I hope we cross paths in a dungeon someday soon.
If you ever find a group, would appreciate it if you let me know! :]

Mgrancey
March 28th, 2012, 04:27
Do you have any preference for what you would like to play?

theme: fantasy, horror, modern, sci-fi, etc;
style: rules heavy or rules lawyer or strict adherence, mixed adaptable , freeform or creative or low adherence;
involvement: one shots-unrelated adventures w/ pregen or reusable characters, long-term or a campaign, a living campaign: published individual adventures with universal limits but you can play your character in any location or with any group that plays that living campaign

Theme is important because some people have a preference for one over another and certain game systems are better for one over another.

Style is important because having a GM or PC conflicting with one another or with other PCs can be extremely detrimental to gameplay. I know this from personal experience.

Involvement is important because if you just want to get in and play, living or one shots are better, where as Campaign games require a deeper involvement that if lacking can cause discord.

As a side note, check out Eluvie (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=764) and First Announcement, if this gets your interest this is going to be a longer playing campaign, probably to typically be run on Wed at 10 EST.

Blainee
March 28th, 2012, 10:44
Do you have any preference for what you would like to play?

theme: fantasy, horror, modern, sci-fi, etc;
style: rules heavy or rules lawyer or strict adherence, mixed adaptable , freeform or creative or low adherence;
involvement: one shots-unrelated adventures w/ pregen or reusable characters, long-term or a campaign, a living campaign: published individual adventures with universal limits but you can play your character in any location or with any group that plays that living campaign

Theme is important because some people have a preference for one over another and certain game systems are better for one over another.

Style is important because having a GM or PC conflicting with one another or with other PCs can be extremely detrimental to gameplay. I know this from personal experience.

Involvement is important because if you just want to get in and play, living or one shots are better, where as Campaign games require a deeper involvement that if lacking can cause discord.

As a side note, check out Eluvie (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=764) and First Announcement, if this gets your interest this is going to be a longer playing campaign, probably to typically be run on Wed at 10 EST.
I kinda preffer the Fantasy theme, but I would be willing to try any other if it means playing sooner. :] The Style bit confused me, I'm not 100% sure what this mean't >< and to be honest, I know I'm new, but I would love to play one of the campains as soon as possible, I quite like the idea of meeting once or twice a week to play.

GunnarGreybeard
March 28th, 2012, 11:00
I kinda preffer the Fantasy theme, but I would be willing to try any other if it means playing sooner. :] The Style bit confused me, I'm not 100% sure what this mean't >< and to be honest, I know I'm new, but I would love to play one of the campains as soon as possible, I quite like the idea of meeting once or twice a week to play.With the styles I believe he referring to the gaming styles of the GM and players. Some are sticklers for the rules (and will quote page and verse of x rule in certain situations) while some are more free-wheeling in that they go with the flow and sort of tweak the rules as the situation and player actions dictate to keep things moving along.

Blainee
March 28th, 2012, 11:02
With the styles I believe he referring to the gaming styles of the GM and players. Some are sticklers for the rules (and will quote page and verse of x rule in certain situations) while some are more free-wheeling in that they go with the flow and sort of tweak the rules as the situation and player actions dictate to keep things moving along.
Well, it would be nice to learn the rules properly. Maybe it would be good to play with a GM that sticks to the rules word for word? Wouldn't mind playing a more laid back game either though :]

GunnarGreybeard
March 28th, 2012, 11:08
I was just going to add.

Some players (and GM's) prefer low fantasy (more realism based/low magic/fantasy) while others prefer the easy access to and use of magic (high fantasy). Personally I prefer to GM low fantasy games such as what you would fins in HarnMaster. I like having very limited magic except for religious based magic (typical Cleric and Druid stuff if you are a D&D person). You won't see mass fireball and lighting strike battles in my games as magic. It is there BUT is meant to be more subtle/limited as the general campaign world populace tends to view it as superstition and react accordingly. ;)

Blainee
March 28th, 2012, 11:12
I was just going to add.

Some players (and GM's) prefer low fantasy (more realism based/low magic/fantasy) while others prefer the easy access to and use of magic (high fantasy). Personally I prefer to GM low fantasy games such as what you would fins in HarnMaster. I like having very limited magic except for religious based magic (typical Cleric and Druid stuff if you are a D&D person). You won't see mass fireball and lighting strike battles in my games as magic. It is there BUT is meant to be more subtle/limited as the general campaign world populace tends to view it as superstition and react accordingly. ;)
Awh, okay. I've always loved Mages' in' other magic users. But if it mean't playing, I would be happy to use a different class. I like the idea of Rangers and things like that too!

Mgrancey
March 28th, 2012, 14:53
Yep, they nailed style on the head. It is a mix of both system and player/GM. As examples:
AD&D, Hackmaster, or Hero (from what I have seen or understand) are very detailed gaming systems where there is something for any possibility and has the rules for how to deal with it.
At the other end of the spectrum is Savage Worlds, BESM or Tri-Stat, QAGS, and other similar gaming systems that focus more on playing and having fun than bogging down in detailed rules. Savage Worlds slogan is F3: Fast, Fun, Furious.
In the middle is where the vast majority of games go where there are a good foundation of rules, but not everything is planned for and requires some adaption as you move forward.

As an example: shooting through a bush at a crouching target on a 1/4 moon's cloudy light at a range of 465 feet from a height advantage of 50 ft.

A detailed gaming system would have: Bush=Concealment, crouching=modifier
1/4 moons light=light penalty, 465 feet away=range penalty dependent upon weapon, height advantage, how long do you aim, how do they defend, and possibly more.

Pathfinder and DnD have: Crouch=ignored as not prone; Bush=Partial Concealment (20% miss chance), Dim Lighting (can you see or not, Yes increase miss chance to 50%) , what range increment or within range or not (-2 per increment unless modified by Far Shot then -1) ; Aimed? ignored outside of feats, Height Advantage +1.

Savage Worlds: Crouch=Really important?, Cover: how much can you see Light (-1) >1/2 , Medium (-2) <1/2 or Heavy (-4) only a little bit;Light: Dark (starlight, partial moon) -2, Prone no, In range Yes or No, Aimed Yes +2, No), Height=really important?

I will admit that I prefer the Moderate or Lighter systems, having spent several weekends with my Brother in Law's group gaming and they wasted 1/2 the weekend (Friday night to Sunday Afternoon) arguing rules. If nothing else remember the "5 or 10 minute rule" depending on how long you will let it go, which is they/you have that long to prove right or wrongness of rule.

Now, don't take this as me putting down the detailed systems, I am someone who prefers exploring the world and the story, places importance on character, and not getting bogged down in rules lawyering (arguing over rules) . We all have different preferences in what and how we play, you may not know yours yet but you will find them, and no preference is better or worse than another. As an example: I left a group because they got on my case so much about my style (and immediately went after my character) rather than continue the discord and be punished for not following their way. This is not meant to depress or criticize but show importance of acceptance and style.

Doswelk
March 28th, 2012, 15:05
So, I played D%D at a friends house a good few years ago (We spent two hours making our characters and never really got to the playing) but since then I have been craving atleast a game to find out what its like! I've not actually played anything like this before, (I'm 17 so I've kinda grown up on the Xbox, Runescape, and WoW.) but I would love it if someone gave me a chance!

I'm GMT, can play any time, any day, any system (I'll be honest, I'm not completely sure what that is) would just really like to get started. :]

Thank you for reading!

(A bit late to the thread I know...)

Hello!

I run open games for anyone (no FGII purchase required just download the software and install as unlicensed) at random times and dates throughout the year.

I use the Savage Worlds system though the setting the game will use depends on my whim so far:

Modern Horror set in the UK (why should the USA have all the fun!)
Deadlands - Wild West with magic and Zombies
Weird War II - World War II with magic and Zombies
Pulp - 1930's adventures Indy Style
Fantasy
Firefly/Serenity

Next session might be Easter Monday (not certain yet) no idea what the game will be yet either!

Sign-up here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=517

Knowledge of RPG/Savage Worlds not required and characters are provided. :)

Hillsy7
March 28th, 2012, 15:18
I run a GMT 4e game on a Monday (1830). We kinda have half a spot available (hard to explain), which will probably become a definate spot in a couple of weeks time. If you wanted you could "sit in" on the next couple of sessions while I finish up where we're at, then if you like what you see we can go from there.

4/5 of my guys were pretty much noobs 3 weeks ago and everyone's only at level 2 as it is so it's all pretty early doors.

Just PM me if you're interested

Blainee
March 28th, 2012, 17:32
Yep, they nailed style on the head. It is a mix of both system and player/GM. As examples:
AD&D, Hackmaster, or Hero (from what I have seen or understand) are very detailed gaming systems where there is something for any possibility and has the rules for how to deal with it.
At the other end of the spectrum is Savage Worlds, BESM or Tri-Stat, QAGS, and other similar gaming systems that focus more on playing and having fun than bogging down in detailed rules. Savage Worlds slogan is F3: Fast, Fun, Furious.
In the middle is where the vast majority of games go where there are a good foundation of rules, but not everything is planned for and requires some adaption as you move forward.

As an example: shooting through a bush at a crouching target on a 1/4 moon's cloudy light at a range of 465 feet from a height advantage of 50 ft.

A detailed gaming system would have: Bush=Concealment, crouching=modifier
1/4 moons light=light penalty, 465 feet away=range penalty dependent upon weapon, height advantage, how long do you aim, how do they defend, and possibly more.

Pathfinder and DnD have: Crouch=ignored as not prone; Bush=Partial Concealment (20% miss chance), Dim Lighting (can you see or not, Yes increase miss chance to 50%) , what range increment or within range or not (-2 per increment unless modified by Far Shot then -1) ; Aimed? ignored outside of feats, Height Advantage +1.

Savage Worlds: Crouch=Really important?, Cover: how much can you see Light (-1) >1/2 , Medium (-2) <1/2 or Heavy (-4) only a little bit;Light: Dark (starlight, partial moon) -2, Prone no, In range Yes or No, Aimed Yes +2, No), Height=really important?

I will admit that I prefer the Moderate or Lighter systems, having spent several weekends with my Brother in Law's group gaming and they wasted 1/2 the weekend (Friday night to Sunday Afternoon) arguing rules. If nothing else remember the "5 or 10 minute rule" depending on how long you will let it go, which is they/you have that long to prove right or wrongness of rule.

Now, don't take this as me putting down the detailed systems, I am someone who prefers exploring the world and the story, places importance on character, and not getting bogged down in rules lawyering (arguing over rules) . We all have different preferences in what and how we play, you may not know yours yet but you will find them, and no preference is better or worse than another. As an example: I left a group because they got on my case so much about my style (and immediately went after my character) rather than continue the discord and be punished for not following their way. This is not meant to depress or criticize but show importance of acceptance and style.
I didn't realise ho wmuch depth it went into! I wouldn't really know what I preffer yet :[

Dakadin
March 28th, 2012, 18:10
I didn't realise ho wmuch depth it went into! I wouldn't really know what I preffer yet :[

Don't worry too much about that. You will figure it out pretty quickly. ;)

Mgrancey
March 28th, 2012, 18:13
Meh, a lot of this is pretty instinctual and just common courtesy or consideration for others without any real in-depth thought behind it. What do you like, what do you not like? You could break down and do all kind of analysis on gaming but those three and one other question are pretty core ideals in my opinion.

And the other question, which is also the most important aspect....

Did you have fun?

Andrepartthree
March 28th, 2012, 21:09

Amen to that brother ! I've had the misfortune of being in FG groups where 1 or 2 rules lawyers view it as their divine right to harass the GM non-stop about the interpretation of X, Y or Z rule then said rules lawyers get really upset when the other bored players - or even the Gamesmaster for that matter ! - try to say something like " Hey can we hammer out these details later on and get back to the game?"

Blainee welcome to FG I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun here :) .... having said that be on the lookout for players who decide to turn it into " Lawyer - the role playing game" :p ... that's a bad sign, if you find yourself not having fun and the GM is too wimpy to put the rules lawyers in their place consider joining another FG group - you'll notice a lot of GM recruitment type posts here say " No rules lawyers please", there's a reason for that ;) .. but that's something you'll develop an instinct for yourself as you play more and more FG games - just jump into a game and have fun with it, the more you play the better a feel you'll get for what works for you and what doesn't :) ... also check with the GM regarding if they use voice chat or not during games - of course if you already have a microphone/headset type thing and skype or what not installed on your PC you're good to go anyways ;) ...

Blainee
March 28th, 2012, 21:17
Amen to that brother ! I've had the misfortune of being in FG groups where 1 or 2 rules lawyers view it as their divine right to harass the GM non-stop about the interpretation of X, Y or Z rule then said rules lawyers get really upset when the other bored players - or even the Gamesmaster for that matter ! - try to say something like " Hey can we hammer out these details later on and get back to the game?"

Blainee welcome to FG I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun here :) .... having said that be on the lookout for players who decide to turn it into " Lawyer - the role playing game" :p ... that's a bad sign, if you find yourself not having fun and the GM is too wimpy to put the rules lawyers in their place consider joining another FG group - you'll notice a lot of GM recruitment type posts here say " No rules lawyers please", there's a reason for that ;) .. but that's something you'll develop an instinct for yourself as you play more and more FG games - just jump into a game and have fun with it, the more you play the better a feel you'll get for what works for you and what doesn't :) ... also check with the GM regarding if they use voice chat or not during games - of course if you already have a microphone/headset type thing and skype or what not installed on your PC you're good to go anyways ;) ...
Cheers dude! Not looking forward to these Lawyers xD