PDA

View Full Version : "Classic Monsters, The Manual" is now available

dr_venture
March 27th, 2012, 21:58
For those interested, the new C&C rulebook, "Classic Monsters, The Manual" is now available - I got mine off of DriveThruRPG.

A quick look is personally a bit disappointing, in that I thought there would be more monsters missing from the original AD&D Monster Manual. Perhaps I had an unrealistic idea of how much was missing from that original book, as I only noticed about 6 of 7 monsters from the original MM. I did notice a lot of entries from the old Fiend Folio, which I never cared for (don't really give a dang about carbuncles or vegepygmies).

I'm not certain, but there seems to be even more content in the new book than those two old volumes would account for... I can't remember these days, was there a MM2 for the original AD&D, or perhaps there are monsters from the 2e MM?

Anyway, for $15 (PDF) I'm certainly glad to have it, and even with my disdain for much of the Fiend Folio, there's still dozens and dozens of interesting creatures in there. YMMV, of course.

damned
March 27th, 2012, 22:23
i believe the monsters are mostly derived from the d20srd which in turn sources its monsters from MM, MMII and FF. i jave also got it but havent really looked thru it other than to check if giant centipedes were there!

dr_venture
March 28th, 2012, 02:44
Heh - Giant Centipede was one of the first things I looked for also. Important, when you're running a low level campaign.

Galeric
March 28th, 2012, 21:42
Picked it up and it is great, no more converting bad guys for me!