PDA

View Full Version : One more on connection issue

Whaley
March 26th, 2012, 01:16
Ok i have read a lot of posts and tried a lot of different things. I am using windows 7 with avast internet security. I have a Cisco E2500 wireless router that is hooked up to my Arris Cable modem. My company says they don't use any firewall on their modems. I have port 1802 forwarded to my computer and the IP address is correct. I have tried hamachi as well and i cant even do localhost to connect to my own game. I need help and i would like to not use hamachi if at all possible but will if i have too. Thanks in advance.

Moon Wizard
March 26th, 2012, 01:31
The first step is to get the 2 instances of FG talking on the same computer. If that's not working, then it cuts down on the number of variables to check.

If you cannot connect from a second instance of FG to a hosting instance, then there must be some sort of firewall blocking the connection.

For Windows, there is the Windows firewall in the Control Panel where you should verify that the Fantasy Grounds application is allowed to use the network. The other thing to check is to try turning off Avast and try again.

Regards,
JPG

Whaley
March 26th, 2012, 01:36
The first step is to get the 2 instances of FG talking on the same computer. If that's not working, then it cuts down on the number of variables to check.

If you cannot connect from a second instance of FG to a hosting instance, then there must be some sort of firewall blocking the connection.

For Windows, there is the Windows firewall in the Control Panel where you should verify that the Fantasy Grounds application is allowed to use the network. The other thing to check is to try turning off Avast and try again.

Regards,
JPG

Guess i forgot to mention that...I have tried turning both avast and windows firewall off and it didn't help. I am about ready to pull my hair out...I have verified that both programs have FG on their exceptions list and allow traffic from FG.

Moon Wizard
March 26th, 2012, 02:50
Something on that machine is blocking FG from accessing the network functionality. The usual culprits are Windows Firewall and third-party security software (such as Avast). If you turned off both of them, it's possible that something else could be blocking that is unique to your machine.

Do you have another machine you could try it on?

To test whether the port is "open" from your machine, you can set up a FG hosted session. (i.e. Load Campaign, and wait until the campaign desktop is visible).

Then, go
* Start Menu
* Run...
* type "cmd" in the Run box
* Enter
* type "netstat -an" in the command window
* You should see an entry for port 1802 that looks like this if FG is being allowed to listen on the port.:
TCP 0.0.0.0:1802 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
March 26th, 2012, 02:52
Also, if you clear the Windows Firewall rules for an application, you should receive a pop-up dialog from Windows asking whether a program is allowed to access the network when it attempts to connect to the network stack. (i.e. Load/Join Campaign) Make sure you are seeing this dialog after clearing the Windows Firewall rule.

Regards,
JPG

Whaley
March 26th, 2012, 04:42
I dont know how but it is working and a buddy of mine is on and we are trying it out and loving it. I was in my game and tried to connect from a different computer and it worked. And now canyouseeme is working.