PDA

View Full Version : Rolling dice as GM and acing

longarms
March 25th, 2012, 00:37
I ran into a problem in the last game I hosted. I threw some dice directly from the row of dice into the chat window, if that makes sense (I did not throw the dice from a character sheet, I did not throw the dice from the tower, etc.)

The dice were d6's. One of the two d6's hit 6, but there was no extra dice automatically thrown. I had to roll an extra d6 like I would at an actual table and then add it to the result.

How do I turn out that nifty autoacing for rolls like I described. Or, how can I do an ad hoc damage roll with autoacing that will not come off a character sheet and will not go through the dice tower.

Sorry, this is probably an obvious question, but I searched for "acing" and a few other search terms, and I could not find any info on this. Thank you in advance.

Doswelk
March 25th, 2012, 01:34
Currently that is how it works...

I actually like it (like that) not all dice in Savage Worlds explode (tables, running etc.)

But I accept I am in the minority possibly, that said in a face-to-face game the dice do not auto-reroll on an explode.

There was some discussion a while back to add the option to type 1d6e (or similar) into the chat line to have the dice auto-reroll but I cannot see it on the wish list:

https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/proj/

SO maybe you should add it :) (I cannot keep adding them all) :p

longarms
March 25th, 2012, 08:22
OK, thanks. I'm not sure how I would prefer for it to be. I just wondered if there was a switch I hadn't found, or something.

Before I post any suggestion, I would need to think through how many rolls there are that do not ace in savage worlds. Are all the non-acing rolls covered by the /table command at this point, for example? Depending on how few this is, maybe depressing a key on the keyboard while rolling for these exceptions could turn off acing while the key is depressed.

I'll think about this more before I make any suggestion, thanks again for answering my questions. Cheers.

Doswelk
March 25th, 2012, 11:25
Before I post any suggestion, I would need to think through how many rolls there are that do not ace in savage worlds. Are all the non-acing rolls covered by the /table command at this point, for example?

Other than running and thrown item deviation and tables (which all the SWEX ones are in the ruleset), catching fire, I cannot think of others...

But as soon as you play another setting e.g. Hellfrost/Slipstream/Suzerain etc. new tables and rules come in that might need a non-exploding die.

I think maybe the way to go would be as you say a button to hold down to make them explode when rolled or another preference option.

...thanks again for answering my questions. Cheers.

No problem, now I have been upgraded to Sage I have to be even more helpful. :D

phantomwhale
March 26th, 2012, 01:31
I like the idea of holding a modifier key (e.g. CTRL) to turn a "regular" dice roll into an "exploding" dice roll.

I find it's mainly with damage rolls where we have forgotten to click the "+1d6" damage modifier that we end up tossing out a "vanilla" d6 and having to manually ace it as required.

Arbitrary damage probably comes a close second. (e.g. 2d6 falling damage).

Thoughts are adding a slash command similar to "/die" (e.g. "/tdie" for trait dice, and "/ddie" for damage dice). Both of them "explode", but only damage dice pick up the +1d6 modifier icon, by the way.

But also maybe adding a "CTRL = trait roll" and "SHIFT = damage roll" behaviour too ? Not sure if this would interfere with existing behaviour for these keys, but don't think it would off the top of my head.

Like Doswelk says, if any of this sounds like stuff you'd like to see, feel free to add it into the wishlist (linked in my sig.) - the more detail, the better chance it'll get done too, so feel free to link to this post or copy details in.