PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check - D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms

KainVorador
March 21st, 2012, 00:52
Just getting an interest check for a 3.5 Forgotten Realms game. I'll be DMing. I'm west coast looking to play every week or every two weeks.

My schedule is 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. Pretty easy to plan once you understand the simplicity. A normal 2 weeks would look like this.

Work monday and tuesday, off wednesday and thursday, work friday saturday and sunday, off monday and tuesday, work wednesday and thursday, off friday saturday and sunday.

Rinse repeat.

Ideally, a session every 2 weeks would give me plenty of time to prep and plan. But if the desire is high enough and I get people that are dedicated then I may do a weekly game. I need people who can buckle down and focus on the session while the session is in play. If you have dids, wives, husbands, etc...that conflict and get in the way then this game may not be for you. I don't like to devote my off time to things when other people don't commit the same attention.

Now, as far as the game itself. You'll start around 5th level since I don't like very low level campaigns. Expect to spend most of your time between 5th and 20th. I plan to run this game for an extended period of time and characters may very well hit epic levels if the group stays together long enough.

Expect a mix of 50/50 combat/roleplay. If spending a whole session in roleplay, or a whole session in combat or a dungeon crawl, bothers you...then this may not be the game for you.

Even though the Forgotten Realms in a very magical place, I tend to tone back the magic a bit and it's a bit more rare than usual. Magically inclined PC's, whether divine or arcane, can expect to be attention gatherers if they use their magical prowess in public. Attention can be both a good and bad thing.

I also like to make the players truly feel like heroes (or villains) so expect the world around then to act as such, reputation dependent.

I will allow both good and evil aligned characters, as well as any race in the PHB or Forgotten Realms Campaign setting. Plane touched characters are on a case by case basis with an extremely good back story to persuade me. Tieflings and Assimars (sp?) are also on a case by case basis.

If we end up with a party of mixed alignments good/evil, I expect the team to work as a team. I will not tolerate party conflict in any serious form. This is a cooperative game, and character aspirations or goals aside...the player controls the characters actions. Not the other way around. I expect you all to get along even though your goals and motivations may be polar opposites. Will I allow a Paladin to group with Kefka from FF6? Yes...but it's up to you to make it work. The alignment system is a guideline, not quantum theory.

I will allow any class from any book you can supplement to me and show it to me in writing. Same for equipment.

I think that about wraps it up. I know it's a bit of a mouthful to swallow but I want to make sure I get a group that understands completely the dynamics that I want to put together. My world, albeit a published one, is your canvas. Paint it as you will and I will change it accordingly. :rv:

Andrepartthree
March 21st, 2012, 02:26
I have all sorts of good things to say about KainVorador :) .. way back he and I were players in dpeters911's FG game... I played a tiny little emotionally disturbed half-elf named Alissa who liked to get in people's faces.. she got into Kainvorador's face, he played an elven wizard or sorcerer or something along those lines as I recall named Morganth, Morganth told her if she mouthed off to him again he'd rip her tongue out.. good times man I had fun with that :) .. I found him to be awesome in the whole role playing end of things ... we had a forum set up where you could role play out of the FG game sessions so to speak.. we still had the FG game sessions mind you but this was "additional" RP'ing, sort of a play-by-post thing which was solely just characters interacting with each other on the role playing end of things ("getting into character" so to speak as opposed to "find the treasure in this room" type stuff that would belong in an FG game session instead).. he was one of the few people to actually bother role playing with me on that forum which was something that I really enjoyed :) .. normally I would be SO signing up for this but sadly I am one of the afforementioned persons with kids :P .. basically I can only be in one FG campaign at a time as a result and I'm already signed up for one that meets every week :( ... for what my humble opinion is worth though I can heartily recommend him as a fun guy in the whole RPG scheme of things :) ...

PS - here's two blasts from the past Kain, let me know if this brings back memories :)

https://www.forgottenrealmsnorth.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=oldforumroleplay&thread=144

https://www.forgottenrealmsnorth.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=oldforumroleplay&action=display&thread=134

simple1one
March 21st, 2012, 04:03
Forgotten Realms is my very favorite setting, and I would love to play. My schedule is very open right now, though I do prefer to keep my weekends free to hang out with friends. However, I don't mind staying in a Friday or Saturday night, just as long as it is not every single or other week those are the only days we can play. Sundays anytime would be ideal, or weekday evenings. CST here, but I am a nightowl and can stay up late.

I do not have a character put together yet, but I have several ideas for one, depending on what the group needs. I tend to play elven casters, but I would also be excited to play a human LN cleric, or a drow CE priestess, or even a halfling or human rogue type. I usually play neutral or evil types, followers of Shar, Lolth, Talona, Talos, or Auril. I also would love to play a bow-wielding priestess of Selune, your approval permitting.

I enjoy RP a lot, but definitely a big fan of action as well. :) So ideally looking for a good mix- I don't mind hanging out in a tavern, but looking for some dungeon crawling or adventuring each session.

Please email me at [email protected] for the fastest response, as I do not check the forums as often as I do my email.

EDIT: I also rolled up a 5th level Psion :)

Jelkan
March 21st, 2012, 06:20
I am very interested in playing a game. I've wanted to play in a D&D campaign for some time but it's hard to find a group that will actually stay together. Finally I decided to look for online groups because I've been in a D&D craze for the last few weeks.

I have played the game very little but sometimes I spontaneously decide to look through the books. My actual knowledge of character building and the actions I can take in combat is fairly good, although there are a few holes.

What times would the games be taking place? I am usually home by 6 or 7pm PST (GMT -8) but sometimes work holds me up until 9pm or 10pm. I usually can make it earlier on friday and have the weekends off. If the game starts as late as 11pm PST or takes place on a day off for him(usually monday and wednesday), a good friend of mine would most definitely be interested in playing as well.

Are you using an ultimate license? I can't find my old lite license code so I was hoping I could hop in for free. Although, at this moment I want to play more than I want $20. Maybe I'll still feel this way by the time I need to purchase it :P.

I would really like to make a melee character augmented by arcane casting. My eyes have been set on making a Jade Phoenix Mage(from Tome of Battle) ever since I saw that class. To me it's a beautiful combination of melee and spellcasting. There is a mostly finished character sheet I have made that could be altered to be a 5th level character gearing up to be a Jade Phoenix Mage. I also wouldn't be too against making a cleric/melee combo if we have too much arcane casting, but it isn't what my heart is set on right this moment.

jasonthelamb
March 22nd, 2012, 00:32
Hey you know I'm interested!

KainVorador
March 22nd, 2012, 00:32
Well, any day that I have off (see original post) would work, doesn't matter what time or how early/how late the game would take place. However, I would like to get into a routine of playing on the same day, same time, every session.

And a bow wielding selunite is fine with me.

So far sunday seems like a good day, but it would have to be early sunday on my sundays off (every other weekend) since I have to be up at midnight 30 to get rdy for work on monday. Friday or saturday would be better for me on my weekends off BUT any day off during the week is fine too. If it's the 1st day off of that stretch (i.e. working fri, sat, sun, off monday and tues, monday is the first day in that stretch) would be ideal as well since I could stay up as late as needed.

Going to forward this to your email Simple1one.
I'll look at the Jade Phoenix Mage, Jelkan.

Jelkan
March 22nd, 2012, 02:56
Alright. I just realized the full title of the book is Tome of Battle: The Book of the Nine Swords if that helps.

Anyways I went ahead and read all the replies and was hoping I could offer some input on what would work well as a starting time. Cowflare (the friend I mentioned) has most of his mondays and wednesdays off, and I usually get home by 7pm on weekdays (although 8 is a safer bet). Reading that simple1one has an open schedule and that you have every other monday and tuesday off, it seems like starting sometime around 8pm on every other monday would work well. Of course we'll need to figure out jasonthelamb's available times as well as any other potential members and then figure out a final time, so I'm not going to automatically assume that my desires will be fulfilled. But, it would be great if that would work for everyone.

By the way, Cowflare will almost certainly want to play a stealth-type character like a rogue.

Ebeny
March 22nd, 2012, 22:00
Hey everyone else interested in the game. Looks like we have a good group forming up. I'm open to playing anything and don't have anything in mind yet. As for day of the week I am unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) involved in other campaigns which play on Monday and Thursday nights. I personally would prefer some time during the weekend, but I'm open to every other night.

KainVorador
March 23rd, 2012, 00:54
Okay, so it looks like the game has filled up. I'm going for 6 max and can work with schedules a bit.

The 6 players potentials I have are:
Ebeny
Jelkan
Jasonthelamb
simple1one
Anonymous by request
Inexorable

My skype name is ryan.keith.boland
Add me on skype so I can start a conversation for discussing schedules and what not. When you add me, let me know who you are so I don't block you for annoying me :)

Mondays seem to work for everyone except Ebeny. We could do alternating weekends as that works with SImple1one's schedule as well.

Thoughts?

Garignak
March 24th, 2012, 20:22
Definitely interested!

JohnD
March 25th, 2012, 00:11
I am interested, especially if Monday or perhaps Saturday evenings are the night. Time zone difference pending (I'm GMT -6; CST) and start/end times.

I'm also a noob to FG2, however I am not a D&D noob; have DMed for over 25 years.

I know very little about FR... but happy to learn.

simple1one
March 27th, 2012, 01:16
Mondays are perfect for me!

KainVorador
March 29th, 2012, 02:35
Game went well - Reconvening on the 9th of April.

trevorgall
March 31st, 2012, 00:50
So what time would you be aiming at.
I can play some weekend mornings,, and most nights..
Like you once every 1 or 2 weeks. Been playing D&D since the 70's Yep im old.
But 3.5 my pref.