PDA

View Full Version : Basic D&D

Urieal
March 17th, 2012, 01:15
I know that Labyrinth Lord exists and can do a lot of what I want...but I wanted to ask about Basic D&D (based on the Rules Cyclopedia).

There are already rulesets for 3.5 and 4E, so FG2 already is involved with the D&D brand. Would I need to get special permission to create a Basic D&D ruleset if I provided it for free (without source material)?

Thanks,
Jeff

Urieal
March 19th, 2012, 16:56
Bueller? Bueller?

wbcreighton
March 19th, 2012, 23:59
I know that Labyrinth Lord exists and can do a lot of what I want...but I wanted to ask about Basic D&D (based on the Rules Cyclopedia).

There are already rulesets for 3.5 and 4E, so FG2 already is involved with the D&D brand. Would I need to get special permission to create a Basic D&D ruleset if I provided it for free (without source material)?

Thanks,
Jeff

I think the answer to your question is not so straightforward. FG2 has no involvement with the D&D brand, although they would like to. There is 1 rule set based on the OGL, and a rule set based on the game mechanics of the 4th edition of "the world's most well known rpg".;)

I think you have zero chance of providing a legal rule set based on Basic DnD, although you could use the same game mechanics, and avoid using any TM or copyrighted material, and call it something other than DnD, (thereby creating a clone) and I think you would be ok. I'm not a copyright or trade mark lawyer, but have read plenty of discussions on the topic.

I think your best bet is to use as much of the OGC from other games such as LL etc, and use that to clone the game system you are trying to emulate.

Urieal
March 20th, 2012, 02:10
Thanks for the response.

I figured as much, but it doesn't dissuade me. There are a number of clones I could base my work off. Dark Dungeons comes to mind. I may make one called BECM...:)

Griogre
March 20th, 2012, 02:48
There are actually two ways you could do a Basic D&D set. You could use the 3rd Ed OGL which would allow you to legally use some common D&D IP terms that over lap with basic D&D. This is the approach OSRIC takes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSRIC

Or you could just do a generic character sheet ruleset with no IP. It really depends on what you want to do.

Zeus
March 20th, 2012, 09:43
Thanks for the response.

I figured as much, but it doesn't dissuade me. There are a number of clones I could base my work off. Dark Dungeons comes to mind. I may make one called BECM...:)

You may want to check out the FGWiki extensions (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Category:Extensions) page. There you will find an existing BECM (spelt BECKHAM on the Wiki) extension for Labyrinth Lord which alters the char sheet for Basic D&D.

StuartW
March 20th, 2012, 16:12
The Beckham extension also modifies NPC/monster sheets too.

Urieal
March 20th, 2012, 16:15
The Beckham extension also modifies NPC/monster sheets too.
StuartW, thanks for the reply. I have not checked out the Beckham extension yet...but I do have a 2 questions for you...

I was playing with Labyrinth Lord rules and noticed there's no Encounters.

1. Do you plan on adding Encounters to the rules?
2. Do you know of an AEC extension or anyone who is working on one?

GunnarGreybeard
March 20th, 2012, 16:31
The Beckham extension also modifies NPC/monster sheets too.That's actually good to know. I've been in a very much Old School mood these days and knowing that the extension goes that far might entice me to go all the way back to my D&D roots in the near future.

Urieal
March 20th, 2012, 16:36
That's actually good to know. I've been in a very much Old School mood these days and knowing that the extension goes that far might entice me to go all the way back to my D&D roots in the near future.
Do it! B/X, BECMI, and RC are the best! Labyrinth Lord is pretty darn close though...and I can even handle it with the AEC :)

GunnarGreybeard
March 21st, 2012, 03:03
Do it! B/X, BECMI, and RC are the best! Labyrinth Lord is pretty darn close though...and I can even handle it with the AEC :)Working on getting an OSRIC game up and running so unfortunately no time to run anything else at the moment. I will definitely have to look into it though.

Urieal
March 21st, 2012, 03:46
Working on getting an OSRIC game up and running so unfortunately no time to run anything else at the moment. I will definitely have to look into it though.
If you're running OSRIC, take a look at Labyrinth Lord + AEC. I love OSRIC and Stuart did an EXCELLENT job re-creating 1E....but like 1E...it's a little more complex than I prefer.

AEC (Advanced Edition Companion) gives you the flavor of 1E without some of the extraneous rules involved.

The caveat...there's no FG2 extension for AEC :(