PDA

View Full Version : Player Preparedness

Mirloc
March 13th, 2012, 04:45
Just been thinking about this a while. The last game I started (home brew rules to play Gamma World using the World of Darkness rules) I had the players create characters not knowing what they were playing. Basically, they were told to create modern-day mortals.

I used stasis to throw them hundreds of years into a future they were completely unprepared for. Ultimately, the players admitted it was a LOT more fun than the eventual new characters who replaced the (now dead) originals.

Do you as GM allow the players to be 'totally prepared' or do you like to throw a huge monkey wrench in the plans and have the players work with the (admittedly minor) handicap of not having the 'perfect skill-set' ?

Ardem
March 13th, 2012, 06:40
Very interesting question.

I prefer the players to play what they want to play and are comfortable but having said that I hope that they choose something interesting with perhaps some quirks or hinderances that makes gameplay intersting.

I am not a fan of the mathematics player who has a complete system worked out in there head of creating uber characters.

Since I mainly play fantasy I not seen what you described above but seem like a fun idea. As a GM I tend to go over my character weakness and look for ways to challenge those areas.

lachancery
March 13th, 2012, 18:09
I am not a fan of the mathematics player who has a complete system worked out in there head of creating uber characters.
Plenty of those to be found within the Rolemaster fan base... :p

GunnarGreybeard
March 13th, 2012, 18:52
I could see where that would be fun for short term campaigns or one shots but I think most players like to have as much background information as possible when creating their characters or at least the groups I've played with do. I'm big on background and character development in my campaigns so I like for the PC's to expand on how they fit into the overall scheme of things.