PDA

View Full Version : connection

immorion
March 13th, 2012, 02:52
I'm on cricket broadband. When I do connection test it says:Fail. Why?

Mirloc
March 13th, 2012, 03:03
I'm going to take a stab at this. One of three possibilities:

1. The router (or whatever the broadband device is called) needs to open up a port (1802) to allow that to pass in and out of your local LAN.

2. Your computer's firewall needs to open up port 1802.

3. Since port 1803 isn't currently defined as a means of attack, then I doubt your ISP (Cricket) is blocking the port, so my money is on 1 or 2. If you haven't installed some creepy all-in-one security package, then 1 is your issue.

lachancery
March 13th, 2012, 03:09
I'm on cricket broadband. When I do connection test it says:Fail. Why?
There are a few threads on this topic in the forum "The house of healing" (the support forum). Here's one with a few very detailed posts on the network configurations required to host games: FG Knowledge Base - Firewalls (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4279).

Fot5
March 19th, 2012, 17:28
I'm going to take a stab at this. One of three possibilities:

1. The router (or whatever the broadband device is called) needs to open up a port (1802) to allow that to pass in and out of your local LAN.

2. Your computer's firewall needs to open up port 1802.

3. Since port 1803 isn't currently defined as a means of attack, then I doubt your ISP (Cricket) is blocking the port, so my money is on 1 or 2. If you haven't installed some creepy all-in-one security package, then 1 is your issue.

In my experience, this is the problem much of the time. I had to set up port forwarding on my wireless router, rather than on my computer. A secondary problem that I ran into was that my IP address was dynamic, and it ended up resetting during game time, kicking everyone off of the game, so you may want to set up a static IP address if you are hosting.