PDA

View Full Version : Looking for New Players

ShadeRaven
March 9th, 2012, 22:25
Overview: I host a fairly regular/active Fast-n-Fun 4E(*) campaign that sees players going through some classic modules from the past while sharing in some laughs. Recently, we’ve lost a couple of players to work and life circumstances so could use new players to fill in so I don’t have to NPC the characters. Currently, the characters are about level 4. I have an Unlimited FG2 license, so even new FG2 users are welcome.

Time: Often we start at Midnight Eastern/9pm Pacific, though we do play at 10pm/7pm when the opportunity arises. I am a west coast DM and would love to play at the 10/7 time more often, but it seems like it’s easier to get folks together later most night, myself included.

Days: Any day we can. We have been really enjoying the games, so if people can get together (3+ players), we play. There have been some weeks where it’s only been once, but we’ve also had weeks we’ve played 5 times. Generally, a sessions lasts for no more than 2 hours.

Needs: Skype (free IM with voice) with a microphone for interaction with me (the DM) and other players.

Mood: We are a mature group with a mix of totally new to D&D/RPG players to 30+ year veterans of roleplaying. We spend as much (more, really) time joking and bantering as being in character, but everyone is capable (and expected) to act in character when the need arises. We do get derailed occasionally by jokes, Monty Python, the Princess Bride, laughter, banter, etc., but we do play at a steady, fast-n-fun pace for the most part.

Also… I don’t run “evil” campaigns nor do I welcome disruptive characters, no matter how well designed as a roleplaying character. I have never had any luck when it comes to players who like playing “evil” or with groups where in-party conflict was part of the roleplay. Eventually, it just seems to erode the campaign and quickly dampen the fun.

Disclaimer: First, and foremost, we’ve all become friends and that’s what we are really looking to add to the group – a new friend centered around everyone’s enjoyment of D&D/RPGing. Everything else is secondary. Hardcore roleplayers to just trying it out for the first time are welcome alike.

Now on to some campaign specifics that anyone joining should be very aware of.

4E: This is not out-of-the-box 4E. I have houseruled it pretty heavily for this particular campaign. In every case, it’s to make the game faster to play and generally in the players’ favor. Characters are much better than average but trimmed down for easier/faster play. Example 1: If a power or feat gives +2 DAM vs (or when) bloodied, it is just +1 DAM all the time. Example 2: A mage power that leaves behind a zone that does 5 damage to any that enter it will get extra damage instead (unless the zone has some other effect that’s integral to the spell).

Explanation: Basically, it came down the fact that while 4E is easy enough to play and learn, players were still spending as much time figuring out all the additional effects and bonuses as they were actually just acting. When we added a new gal who was a first timer, she started with an Essentials Thief that I tweaked just a little more to make her even easier to play, and she loved it and everyone else did, too. Eventually, we found a good balance between having options but just being able to play (a throw back to early D&D) and we are all enjoying our nights more for it.

Also, it allows me to NPC absent characters when someone can’t make it without the stress of anything too complicated.

The openings: There are two characters that I am having to NPC very regularly, and I would love to see someone step in and use them (though would be open to discussions about replacing them with one of your own, but more on that later). They are as follows:

Zagg Longlute: He’s a Human Skald (leader/healer). In short, I designed him (for a friend) to be a “Heavy Metal Bard”. He’s using feats to get to heavy armor and shields (thus the “heavy metal”). He’s boisterous, a partier, famous, and good with the ladies, but he’s also a thrill seeker looking to add to his fame so loves adventuring. The group desperately needed a second character to be able to defend (tank) and Zagg fits the bill. Plus, he was easy enough for the new player to come in and use (which was important at the time). His healing is exceptionally simple, adaptable, and effective.

Azariss Skycaller: A Dragonborn Mage with a lightning twist. He’s been refluffed/reworked so that the Pyromancy School is, instead, the Electromancy School. Basically, fire bonuses and powers have been reworked to be lightning. Azariss is a blue dragonborn looking to find a path that will see him eventually become a blue dragon in full, not just in heart and spirit. He fills the Arcanist need for the group and his ability to deal massive damage, especially with blast spells, is impressive. Anyone interested in a old-fashioned blast-the-crap-out-of-them mage that hopes to eventually become a dragon should enjoy him.

Other Possibilities: Zagg and Azariss are fun, well designed, strong characters, but I do understand that sometimes you want something of your own. I am always open to player input and definitely want everyone to be playing something they enjoy. That said, there are some things to keep in mind:

One, the group has a great balance going on right now, so it really would be great to maintain that. Zagg fills a need for someone who can take a shot and heal, while Azariss fulfills the arcanist role along with his blow things up manner.

Two, any new character needs to fit into the Fast-n-Fun mode. In other words, if you have designs for a glorious character with hundreds of options to mull over every round, it isn’t going to work. For starters, if you miss a night others want to play, I will hate having to NPC your character and that’s not fair to either of us. Second, if you bog down the flow with 5 minute turns while you try to figure out all your bonuses, what works best, etc., that’ll ruin what this particular campaign is about to begin with.

That said, I am more than willing to discuss ways to make it work for both of us.

It would be easier, however, if someone could step into what we have (maybe with minor tweaks for gender, etc., if necessary), at least at first while everyone gets a feel for each other.

Okay… that was a bit longer than I wanted, but found myself needing to be thorough in the details of what anyone could potentially get themselves into. If that didn’t scare you off and you are still interested, contact me through PMs here or find me on Skype (shaderaven64) and let me know.

Thanks for listening and enjoy!

PS: If there’s any other details you’d like to know that I forgot to include here, please feel free to ask.

WampaStompa
March 12th, 2012, 03:47
I hope this isn't too stupid of me to ask. I am new to D&D. I played a few sessions with a DM about 6 years ago and am wanting to get into it. I am probably not the person you want to fill in a position with your games, but i was wondering if i could listen in on a session or two so i can get the feel of how the games go online.
I can't really find any games that i can join online without some experience.
Let me know if thats a possibility.

ShadeRaven
March 13th, 2012, 03:40
Yeah. That's totally fine by me :) We have another guy who listens in when he's free. In fact, Zagg was created with him in mind, but work and school has just kept him away too much to be regular.

WampaStompa
March 13th, 2012, 04:48
Thanks, I'll add you on skype.

spazunite
March 13th, 2012, 15:52
Howdy!

i'm Dave from Canada. PST ftw. I used to play AD&D, 2nd edition. I played for quite a while. Recently I've been having no luck identifying a group in my area, but I have most of the 4e books. I may be interested in developing a new charecter that could fit in the group as well.

Only issue is that I'd prefer an earlier time. If your group ever decides to give an earlier time a shot, please get in touch with me. Thank you.

ShadeRaven
March 14th, 2012, 03:40
We were shooting for 7pm PST tonight, but, yeah, we also tend to play from 9pm to 11pm on some nights, too. Unfortunately, with family, dinner, etc., I just can't commit to anything earlier.

Averix
April 14th, 2012, 13:31
Are you still looking for players?
Looking to get back into a game of 4E, hopefully you're looking for any type of class. However, if I had to make a choice -- Defender or Leader role would be nice.

bluedrewbie
April 17th, 2012, 23:17
Im new to online gaming, and really want to get reinvolved. I dont know much about 4e (i only played it once, my original group was 3.5e) but im willing to learn! Please let me know if there are any openings!

SilverEagle82
April 18th, 2012, 01:48
Ur group sounds fun and i would like to do like 3 session when its dead and 2 sessions when it more picked up and i am familar with 4e and have a lite license too