PDA

View Full Version : misaligned links

grapper
February 14th, 2012, 21:11
I just started running SW games in FGII and I noticed some strange behavior when creating links in the story entries. When I turn the paragraph into a link, the active location for the link is sometimes displaced below the graphic link spot (and the corresponding text line). It is especially bad if I have several links in a row.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix for it?

I'm not sure what would cause this, but I suspect it is either the font, the paragraph spacing or else it is caused by me running in windowed mode.

I should note that I've been running FGII for my 4E games and haven't ever seen this problem with that ruleset.

phantomwhale
February 15th, 2012, 01:33
I've seen that too. Always thought it was an FGII thing - but if you've never seen it in 4E it suggests that there should be a fix in the SWEX ruleset after all.

Feel free to add it to the wishlist (see my sig.) - it's annoyed me a few times too.

Dakadin
February 15th, 2012, 03:56
I can confirm that I've seen this issue in the SW ruleset but haven't seen it in other rulesets so far. I didn't realize it was just in SW until seeing this thread.

Doswelk
February 15th, 2012, 09:31
I remember it used to happen with the original SRD ruleset and D20 Modern, I think it is a feature of FGII but the fact that 4e doesn't do it (I would not know if this is the case), there may well be a work-around.

It tends to happen when there is a long list of links I find.

grapper
February 15th, 2012, 14:03
Feel free to add it to the wishlist (see my sig.) - it's annoyed me a few times too.

okay, I added it to the wishlist

madman
February 15th, 2012, 14:26
This Happens in the 3.5 Ruleset also, I do a timeline breakdown of my adventures and the list of links is very hard to add to after the list gets long. So if I have 30 links, by the time I add links to the link box I have to drop the link almost a full link above where I want it to go. Don't think it is just SW.

Chris

grapper
February 15th, 2012, 15:09
Interesting....

My only experience prior to using the SW ruleset has been with the 4E ruleset (and 4E_JPG before that). I have never used any other rulesets.

I wonder if maybe it has to do with the button graphic. IIRC the 4E links go from an empty box when unlinked to the same box filled in grey when the link is connected.

If I can figure out how to play with skin/themes (not sure what the right term is) I might tinker with some of these settings on my own when I have some free time.

Moon Wizard
February 15th, 2012, 20:06
If someone has an example of a module entry that does this consistently, please let me know. With a consistent example, I should be able to track down the issue and where it originates.

Regards,
JPG

Doswelk
February 15th, 2012, 20:38
To be honest all you need to do is create a story entry and add a dozen or more links and that should do it (I think not tested yet).

Griogre
February 16th, 2012, 01:00
We addressed this with the Shaintar Ruleset. Basically the link icons are too large vertically compared to line spaces. Improvements were made to the SW 3 ruleset but its still a bit off. I'm pretty sure this is a legacy of the d20 ruleset, the father of pretty much every modern ruleset until recently.

Here's a couple of lists from the Shaintar PG where you can see the button is slightly off. It use to be real obvious because of the underlines that ran across every 5 lines or so.

Slightly larger link icons with a bit of overlap notice how at Dispel the top of the D is the close to the middle of the button.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/ShaintarSpells1.png

Fix to link buttons where only the shadows overlap:
https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/ShaintarSpells2.png

Let me say I *still* hate those tables... I must have rebuilt them 5 times. :( ;)

phantomwhale
February 16th, 2012, 01:03
We changed the link icon in Deadlands: Reloaded, and having produced some more DLR adventure modules recently, I think the problem was gone / reduced.

It might be as simple as the dimensions of the actual link image...

(p.s. very busy this month, otherwise I'd take the time to look and get a fix - but developer patches gratefully accepted !)

Doswelk
February 16th, 2012, 13:46
Hmm I forgot about that I'll have to break out my copy of Shaintar and have a look...

Griogre
February 16th, 2012, 17:48
While smaller icons will stop the line spacing problem, I think the actual link hotspots may overlap as well which may be part of why it can be real hard to select the right link in a list of them. Does anyone know how the mouse hotspot for link is calculated? I wonder if it is an invisible area still effectively using the dimensions and locations of the old d20 link graphic.