PDA

View Full Version : 4e Tables + 4eParser = how to parse???

bnason
February 12th, 2012, 23:05
Hi all,

I'm trying to add in some random tables to help with things like NPC name generation, etc. I'm trying to use the 4e parser to bring in tables - the instruction doc. lists the required input:

ZTable
Name;{label}
Description;{label}
Col;{number},{label}
Row;{from},{to},{result},{resultn}

However, everytime I try to populate table data I get an error - "Invalid Column/Row encountered".

I've tried:

Col;1,Test (error)
Col1;test (no error, but no data)

Can't think of any other way to create the parse text file... I don't want to do this manually in the client, as I can copy/paste tables for NPC stuff from the Pathfinder GM book that work great, and I can add the required syntax via macros in Notepad++ to make this quick.

Any ideas what the text should read for the parser to work? It would seem intuitive to do something like this ... but it doesn't work:

ZTable
Name;NPC Names
Description;NPC Name Generator
Col;1,d100
Col;2,Name
Row;1,2,James
Row;3,4,Mechel
Row;5,6,Bartel
etc....

Griogre
February 13th, 2012, 06:41
DrZuess can probably help you, but I thought I would mention for things like random names you actually might want to use DrZuess' Table extension which will actually roll and pick one for you. You might find it more useful than a static chart. You can get it here: https://www.drzeuss.co.uk/

You will need to create an account to download stuff.

bnason
February 14th, 2012, 02:15
Well, that was actually the idea - the 4eparser is supposed to work with Dr. Z's table extension. I want to use that for this concept - but I don't want to type in a dozen + tables of 50 rows each.

Thing is - when I add tables as noted above - I get the parser error.

Fraxture
February 14th, 2012, 14:52
Aren't they case sensitive?

bnason
February 14th, 2012, 21:53
I don't understand? The only thing the parser doc. lists as needed is:

ZTable
Name;{label}
Description;{label}
Col;{number},{label}
Row;{from},{to},{result},{resultn}

I've tried it that way a thousand times... the parser gives an error each time when I point it to a text file containing table data for use with Dr. Z's table extension. I don't know how to structure the Col/Row lines correctly (I get the errors in the OP every time).

Zeus
February 15th, 2012, 00:44
The format described in the ParserDocument is incorrect it should be:

ZTable
Name;{label}
Description;{label}
Col;{number};{label}
Row;{from};{to};{result};{resultn};

The following tables should parse OK as an example/test.

ZTable
Name;Fumble
Description;House Rules - Fumble Table
Col;1;Outcome
Row;1;4;AUTOMATIC MISS
Row;5;6;[FUMBLE EFFECT]

ZTable
Name;Fumble Effect
Description;House Rules - Fumble Effects Table
Col;1;Effect
Col;2;Description
Row;1;1;BALANCE LOST;You fall Prone.;
Row;2;2;BUTTERFINGERS;You throw your weapon/implement 1d4 squares in a random direction;
Row;3;3;EMBARRASSED;You recieve a -2 penalty to attack rolls against target until you successfully hit target with an attack;
Row;4;4;PULLED MUSCLE;You are weakened until end of your next turn;
Row;5;5;FATIGUED;You are dazed until end of your next turn;
Row;6;6;OVEREXTENDED;You are stunned until the end of your next turn;
Row;7;7;ITEM BROKE;Your Weapon/Implement is broken;
Row;8;8;COUNTER ATTACKED;The target hits you with a basic attack. If this action is impossible, your original target gains an action point;
Row;9;9;BAD AIM;You hit an Ally with a basic attack. If this action is impossible, your original target gains an action point;
Row;10;10;CRITICAL COUNTER;The target critically hits you with a basic attack. If this action is impossible, your original target gains an action point;
Row;11;11;FRIENDLY FIRE;You critically hit an ally with a basic attack. If this action is impossible, your original target gains an action point;
Row;12;12;SUICIDE STRIKE;You critically hit yourself with same attack you fumbled with, receiving all negative conditions and effects of the attack;
Row;13;13;ANKLE TWIST;You twist your ankle and have 1/2 movement speed and cannot charge for 1d4+1 rounds;
Row;14;14;DISLOCATION;A forceful pop in your shoulder is is heard as your arm goes limp. The arm you used to make the attack is incapacitated for 1d4 + 6 rounds;
Row;15;15;KNEE POP;Your knee hyperextends awkwardly. You have 1/4 movement speed and cannot charge for 1d4 + 6 rounds;
Row;16;16;WRONG STRAP;In an embarrasing move, you cut loose part of your armor and receive a -4 penalty until armor is fixed. Fixing the armor will require 3 rounds of performing no other action;
Row;17;17;STAGGERING IN PAIN;Your opponent parries your awkward attack that causes you to hit yourself in the groin. You have 1/2 movement and -4 to all actions for 1d6 + 4 rounds. If this action is impossible, your original target receives an action point;
Row;18;18;SPELL BACKLASH;Your spell feeds back to you, doing its damage and effects on yourself. If this action is impossible, your original opponent receives an action point;
Row;19;19;GROUND ZERO;Your not sure what happened, but your spell blew up in your face. You do critical damage and effects in a close burst 2. This effects everyone inside of the close burst including you. If this action is impossible, your original target gains an action point;
Row;20;20;BLINDED BY YOUR OWN BLOOD;You hit yourself in the head causing a minor flesh wound (4 damage) and you are blinded by blood flowing into your eyes for 1d4 rounds.;

ZTable
Name;Critical Hit
Description;House Rules - Critical Hit Table
Col;1;Outcome
Row;1;4;CRITICAL HIT
Row;5;6;[CRITICAL HIT EFFECT]

ZTable
Name;Critical Hit Effect
Description;House Rules - Critical Hits Effect Table
Col;1;Effect
Col;2;Description
Row;1;1;KNOCKDOWN;In addition to standard critical hit damage, you knock the target prone.;
Row;2;2;HAMSTRING;In addition to standard critical hit damage, you hamstring the target. The target is slowed (save ends).;
Row;3;3;TURN THE TIDE;In addition to standard critical hit damage to your target, you gain combat advantage against all enemies on the battlefield until the end of your next turn.;
Row;4;4;EYE GOUGE;In addition to standard critical hit damage, your target is blinded until the end of its next turn.;
Row;5;5;FORCEFUL BLOW;In addition to standard critical hit damage, your target is dazed until the end of its next turn.;
Row;6;6;STUNNING BLOW;In addition to standard critical hit damage, your target is stunned until the end of its next turn.;
Row;7;7;PARRY;In addition to standard critical hit damage to your target, you gain +2 to all your defenses against attacks from the target until the end of your next turn.;
Row;8;8;GAPING WOUND;In addition to standard critical hit damage, the target takes ongoing 5 +1/2 your level damage (round up).;
Row;9;9;PRESSURE POINT;In addition to standard critical hit damage, the target is Weakened (save ends).;
Row;10;10;OPPORTUNITY;In addition to standard critical hit damage to your target, you may take an extra standard action this turn.;
Row;11;11;KNOCKOUT BLOW;In addition to standard critical hit damage, you knock the target Unconcious (save or target taking damage ends).;
Row;12;12;EVISCERATE;You do two standard critical hits to the target.;
Row;13;13;DECAPITATION;Your target's head is decapitated (slashing weapon), crushed (blunt weapon) or pierced (piercing weapon) or (if weapon was a spell) some effect to the head related to the type of attack that will likely leave target dead. If this action is not possible due to nature of the target, you do standard critical damage and gain an action point, instead.;
Row;14;14;APPENDAGE BLOW;In addition to standard critical damage, your target loses a finger (slashing weapon), breaks fingers (blunt weapon) or has arm muscle punctured (piercing weapon) or (if weapon was a spell) some effect to the fingers or arm related to the type of attack. 50% chance of either main or offhand. This hand or arm will suffer a -2 penalty on all checks for 4 weeks or until appropriate healing spell cast upon target. If this action is not possible due to the nature of the target, then in addition to standard critical damage, you gain an action point instead.;
Row;15;15;WRIST BLOW;The targets' hand is removed at the wrist (slashing weapon) or wrist broken (blunt weapon) or wrist pierced (piercing weapon) or (if weapon was a spell) some effect to wrist related to the type of damage. 50% chance of either main or offhand. Wrist is incapacitated in any case. If this action is not possible due to the nature of the target, then in addition to standard critical damage, you gain an action point instead.;
Row;16;16;MIGHTY BLOW;You do three standard critical hits to the target.;
Row;17;17;HEAD BLOW;In addition to standard critical hit, the target loses an ear (slashing weapon) or an eye (piercing weapon), or blow to the skull (blunt weapon) or (if weapon was a spell) some effect related to the type of attack. 50% of left or right side. Loss of ear or eye both result in permanently granting combat advantage to opponents approaching from that side. Blow to the head permanently reduces intelligence by 4 and knocks target Unconcious (save ends). If this action is impossible due to the nature of the target, then you do standard critical hit damage and gain an action point, instead.;
Row;18;18;KNEE HIT;In addition to standard critical damage, your targets leg is cut off at the knee (slashing weapon) and falls prone or knee is broken (blunt weapon) and movement reduced to 1/4 speed and target will have permanent limp (-2 speed) as after effect or knee is split (piercing weapon) and target falls and movement reduced to 1/2 speed or (if weapon is spell) some effect to the knee related to the type of attack. If this action is impossible due to the nature of the target, then you do standard critical damage and gain an action point, instead.;
Row;19;19;BODY BLOW;In addition to standard critical damage, your targets lung is slashed (slashing weapon) or pierced (piercing weapon) or ribs are broken (blunt weapon). All of these result in being stunned for 2 rounds and a -1 penalty to combat until healed with appropriate healing spell. 50% chance of right or left side. If this action is impossible due to the nature of the target, then you do standard critical damage and gain an action point, instead.;
Row;20;20;SHOULDER BLOW;In addition to standard critical damage, your targets arm is cut off at the shoulder (slashing weapon) and target is stunned for 2 rounds or shoulder is broken (blunt weapon) and target is stunned for 2 rounds or shoulder is torn (piercing weapon) and target is stunned for 2 rounds or (if weapon was a spell) some effect to shoulder related to the type of attack. 50% chance of main or off hand. Broken or torn shoulders will result in a permanent -2 to all checks until healed with appropriate healing spell. If this action is impossible due to the nature of the target, you do standard critical hit damage and gain an action point, instead.;

bnason
February 15th, 2012, 01:39
AWESOME.

So much faster to build these tables in notepad++ vs. the FG2 client. Many thanks!!!