PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset

jaydarkson
February 8th, 2012, 04:21
If I purchase a ruleset to use for a new game, do my players need that same ruleset? Do they all need to purchase the ruleset or can I just share mine with them?

madman
February 8th, 2012, 04:29
Only the host of the game needs the ruleset. Then when your players connect they get the part they need from you.

Chris

jaydarkson
February 8th, 2012, 06:51
Awesome. Thanks!

Trenloe
February 8th, 2012, 07:21
One thing your player's may miss out on is some of the library modules - it all depends on how the ruleset has been packaged. For example, the Castles and Crusades ruleset library modules are set as "client" which means that you need to have them installed on the player's PC to see their contents - which means the player has to buy the ruleset to get the library modules. The main reason for the modules being "client" is either copyright restrictions (you have to buy the ruleset to access them) or to allow a player to access them in "Manage Characters" and build there PC offline.

Other rulesets have their library modules as "common" which means they can be shared by the GM at game time and they are downloaded from the GM as needed.

What ruleset/s are you thinking of using?

Doswelk
February 8th, 2012, 21:16
Most of the Savage Worlds rule-sets ship with both "client" and "common" to allow purchasers to view in Manage characters and also download them if they have not bought them (only viewable when connected to GM).

jaydarkson
February 9th, 2012, 02:55
I wish there was an easy way to add library modules to an existing ruleset.

I was thinking of buying the Savage Worlds ruleset and then the Mutants & Masterminds one when it is done.

One thing your player's may miss out on is some of the library modules - it all depends on how the ruleset has been packaged. For example, the Castles and Crusades ruleset library modules are set as "client" which means that you need to have them installed on the player's PC to see their contents - which means the player has to buy the ruleset to get the library modules. The main reason for the modules being "client" is either copyright restrictions (you have to buy the ruleset to access them) or to allow a player to access them in "Manage Characters" and build there PC offline.

Other rulesets have their library modules as "common" which means they can be shared by the GM at game time and they are downloaded from the GM as needed.

What ruleset/s are you thinking of using?

Trenloe
February 9th, 2012, 10:15

It's not easy, but it's not complex either - you just need to know a bit of XML...

I've made a bunch of reference modules for Pathfinder - Bestiary 2, Complete Spells & Magic Items.

What type of library modules were you thinking of?

Doswelk
February 9th, 2012, 21:22

I do it all the time... it's not hard once you get the hang of it just time consuming.

I am always willing to help people get started with creating modules.

sukEEt
June 13th, 2014, 09:51
I can't find my hero's guide module for mutants and masterminds ...

Moon Wizard
June 13th, 2014, 10:18
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?15685-Official-Mutants-amp-Masterminds-3rd-edition-Ruleset-In-Progress-Screenshots&p=178388#post178388