PDA

View Full Version : Character Management

Jam Warrior
February 4th, 2012, 14:16
Is there any way to transfer a server character back to a local one?

Unless I'm missing something, not being able to do any character changes between sessions (eg levelling up) without being connected to the DM is a massive pain in the ***.

4E if that makes a difference.

madman
February 4th, 2012, 15:46
There is a couple of ways I have done this in the past.

One: is to take screenshots in game of your character sheet, so you can view them out of game. Then make a new character.

Two: The Manage Characters should have your character so that you can view it but not make changes, but still you will have to create a new copy of it with all your changes.

Yes it is a pain in the A**, I am hoping it will be changed in future releases.

Chris

lachancery
February 4th, 2012, 16:05
One: is to take screenshots in game of your character sheet, so you can view them out of game. Then make a new character.

Two: The Manage Characters should have your character so that you can view it but not make changes, but still you will have to create a new copy of it with all your changes.
There isn't an /exportchar function in the 4E ruleset? The GM could send the XML of the character to the player to be /importchar on his FG...?

madman
February 4th, 2012, 16:54
I was unaware that you could import into manage characters. Cool.

Chris

Edit: I just tried it and I can import a character into a campaign and edit it. I can not seem to get it back into the manage characters though.

so you could make it work if you have a full, or ultimate but it will not work with a lite.

lachancery
February 4th, 2012, 17:17
I was unaware that you could import into manage characters. Cool.
I don't play/don't use D&D 4E - it was more of a question than a statement. ;)

If players can't import into manage characters, couldn't they have a local campaign and import their characters that way?

madman
February 4th, 2012, 17:29
One other way I think it could be done is to open the xml file for 4E under characters, and paste in the information from the character export into the file and save it. Then the character should be there to edit. One bad character will ruin the file though so make a copy of it before you try to edit it.

Chris