PDA

View Full Version : GURPS or Rolemaster One Shot

GunnarGreybeard
January 31st, 2012, 12:00
I'm posting this notice for anyone interested in a one shot using either GURPS or Rolemaster (with Rolemaster my preferred choice as I just recently started looking into GURPS). While this is intended to expose those interested in either of those 2 systems and/or Fantasy Grounds I am leaving the option of having this turn into a regular, weekly/bi-weekly campaign if some wish to carry on.

It will be based in HARN and GURPS or Rolemaster will be homebrewed to mirror HarnMaster as much as possible.

The campaign title will be Knights of Belsirasin and background information can be found here (https://bloodybohemianearspooninn.com/2010/06/30/knights-of-belsirasin-a-rolemaster-vttrpg-game).

Obviously the biggest obstacle will be the best time. In the hopes of bringing in those from "outside the US" I am shooting for a GMT-6 (CST) Saturday or Sunday morning game. Saturday AM, my time may be best to allow those from the Australia, Eastern Europe and Middle East to join in without inflicting really abnormal game times on them.

More information will be posted soon (soon as in "when get my notes together"). :D

EDIT: I went ahead and added the game into the Game Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=749):

ronnke
January 31st, 2012, 12:04
Lets just say I'm tempted to join a one shot GURPS game, but it will really depend on your timing.

MidniteFox
January 31st, 2012, 13:53
Yes I am also interested, timing is everything please let me know.

Any day Sun-Wednesday are perfect for me I am in (UTC+03:00) Kuwait, Riyadh.

Thanks,

Midnit

Deron
January 31st, 2012, 18:35
Thanks for the offer to DM - also in the previous thread :). Can you please tell me - as I'm not an expert - what I read both Rolemaster and GURPS shall be very rules heavy. Will it be difficult to join if I have not been exposed to the full ruleset before (in either game)? How about encounters, do they have a much longer duration in comparison to 3.5 or even 4e?

GunnarGreybeard
January 31st, 2012, 19:25
Thanks for the offer to DM - also in the previous thread :). Can you please tell me - as I'm not an expert - what I read both Rolemaster and GURPS shall be very rules heavy. Will it be difficult to join if I have not been exposed to the full ruleset before (in either game)? How about encounters, do they have a much longer duration in comparison to 3.5 or even 4e?
I`ve honestly never played 3.5. or 4e. Last version of D&D I played was 1e AD&D and that was many, many moons ago. GURPS I am just getting into so not real familiar with it yet. Rolemaster is not too bad once you get the process down as the charts are all automated. When you roll/attack the charts pop up on my screen, cross-reference the result for damage and critical. All I have to is drag the result to your character sheet and it tracks everything for you such a stun rounds and bleeding, etc. It tends to be very bloody and can end quickly, i.e. 1 shot kills.

Deron
January 31st, 2012, 19:35
It tends to be very bloody and can end quickly, i.e. 1 shot kills.
Now that doesn't seem to be much different from 3.5e :)

GunnarGreybeard
January 31st, 2012, 21:53
I have added the game calendar entry to the 1st post of this thread.

GunnarGreybeard
February 1st, 2012, 01:29
Lets just say I'm tempted to join a one shot GURPS game, but it will really depend on your timing.I really like what I see in GURPS, especially the detailed HARN>GURPS conversion I found, but not sure I know enough to run a game of it. I have the GURPS 4e Character Assistant Tool and it helps tremendously, very easy create Harn characters and then export them seemlessly straight into FG.

MidniteFox
February 1st, 2012, 10:46
totally interested, where can i find all the info on this game?? and I didn't see it on the calendar.

let me know

Midnite

MidniteFox
February 1st, 2012, 10:50
OK i just read the story line.....and that sounds pretty damn cool to me....

im deff in, now to get into rp mode and figure out how I'm gonna be.

Midnite

Ardem
February 1st, 2012, 12:51
I am tempted if it is rolemaster. It be nice to play for a change <smile>

GunnarGreybeard
February 1st, 2012, 12:58
I am tempted if it is rolemaster. It be nice to play for a change <smile>I am definitely aiming towards Rolemaster because I know it better than the other systems. I am still pretty rusty, only played a few sessions in the last 25 years, but its the one I am most familiar with, outside of HarnMaster. :D

GunnarGreybeard
February 1st, 2012, 13:09
totally interested, where can i find all the info on this game?? and I didn't see it on the calendar.I thought I toggled it to "public" view but I will recheck it. In the meantime, you and Slava should have received and invite and should see a link in your profile page that allows you to join.

If anyone else wants in, let me know and I'll send an invite, at least until I make sure its visible to the public.

GunnarGreybeard
February 1st, 2012, 13:13
It should be public now. You can also try the following direct calendar link > https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=749 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=749)

MidniteFox
February 1st, 2012, 13:23
no i looked in my messages and didnt see a thing for an invite...maybe im looking in the wrong area? care to help???

midnite

MidniteFox
February 1st, 2012, 13:38
ok where do i make my "righteous" character??? this im excited for

and where can i read up on read both Rolemaster and GURPS. no idea what those are sorry im a newb to all this stuff.....nevermind its all on the link you sent us lol

midnite

MidniteFox
February 1st, 2012, 13:49
Rolemaster Classic right????

GunnarGreybeard
February 1st, 2012, 14:04
Rolemaster Classic right????Yes and No.

The Ruleset we will use is the one for Rolemaster Classic (and the combat stuff) BUT, for character creation you cannot use Rolemaster. You would have to create a HarnMaster character which I then convert to the Rolemaster system using a homebrew conversion (still in the development stages, meaning its in handwritten notes and not a downloadable document). Actually the campaign is more Harn than anything since I use that as the world/environment. Think 12th Century England as the world and note that monsters are really rare except for Gargun (Harnic Orcs).

What I am doing now is creating some pre-gen PC's for everyone to use to get started with the one shot game. For those wanting to play after that we can recreate new, more customized characters for them to continue on with.

Also, I like to concentrate more on story and roleplaying than combat so combat will be likely be rare and using Rolemaster its usually very deadly.

I will post some Harn related links shortly to get an idea of the world the campaign will take place in.

GunnarGreybeard
February 1st, 2012, 14:23
OK, I have added a bunch of links on campaign/world background information in the Game Calendar.

GunnarGreybeard
February 1st, 2012, 23:10
Looking a the notes in the other threads I think that Sunday is the best day for the people interested.

As posted in one of them earlier, I am GMT-6 which puts me (if my math is correct) about 8 to 10 hours ahead of the ME/St. Pete players so my 9 AM is their 5-7 PM.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...&mi n=0&sec=0 (https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2012&month=1&day=30&hour=15&min=0&sec=0)

Based on that I plan to go with a Sunday game. Any issues with that time frame please let me know, otherwise I'll add it to the calendar.

GunnarGreybeard
February 3rd, 2012, 12:02
If you guys are ready to start working on your characters I will PM you some information that I will need. I'll give a list of dice rolls for you to do, in FG or using real dice and then PM them back to me.

GunnarGreybeard
February 9th, 2012, 20:00
This one-shot is open to anyone who wishes to attend but will be more focused on getting people familiar with the layout of the Rolemaster ruleset than the actual campaign.

While the game will be Rolemaster, as far as the ruleset, it's actually a homebrew HarnMaster to Rolemaster conversion with more in common with HarnMaster (just using the Rolemaster character sheet).

FYI: I may not have enough PC's to go around so if you are interested, please let me know as early as possible so I can try to throw some extra ones together before Sunday AM. ;)

Server Up Time will be > Sunday, Feb 12th 09:00 AM GMT-6.

Connection info will be posted closer to actual game time, probably Saturday night sometime.

GunnarGreybeard
February 11th, 2012, 20:22
Looks like we are down to 2 players at the moment so for now I am planning it to be more as a Sunday morning, 12 Feb, 9AM (GMT-6) demo. I will have the server up at that time, maybe a few minutes before, for anyone to log in and look around, ask questions, etc. If anyone else is interested and is available at the above time, the FGII server Alias is firm idol daring wand.

Thanks.

GunnarGreybeard
February 13th, 2012, 09:49
This Rolemaster(RMC)/Harn Demo has been changed to Wednesday evening, 15 Feb, 8PM CST (GMT-6) and the connection data "should" remain the same. If it changes I'll post it here before that date.