PDA

View Full Version : Got a bizzare issue

Xenocore
January 28th, 2012, 04:37
I have a standard linksys WRT54G router on a Cox cable connection. there are 3 FG users in the house. Port 1802 is already forwarded in the port forwarding section.

one man can host a internet game with no issues. We can connect to each other within the network. We cannot connect to roomate 2 or myself. only roommate one can host successfully. The test fails for us both.

WTF is going on? canyouseeme.org says 1802 is no good. but roommate 1 is fine for hosting. why cant the rest of us?

Also, is there any way to change the network port being used?
This is for a game that roommate 2 is hosting tomorrow. (sorry for the rush job.)

damned
January 28th, 2012, 07:10
if its only the 3 of you - connect to his local ip address instead of external ip address.

for hosting games for other people the port forwarding directs 1802 to one computer - as in the one computer it has been setup to forward to. logon and change it to forward to the other conputer that wants to host...

Ram Tyr
January 28th, 2012, 10:29
This issue is likely a perfect one to add to the Networking FAQ (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=networking).

Zeus
January 28th, 2012, 10:57
As damned has stated, the problem is likely to be down to the fact that Port Forwarding is setup to forward 1802 traffic to one PC only, in this case Roomate #1.

Port Forwarding uses a 1:1 mapping between ports and destination LAN IP.

For Roomate #2 and #3 to host, you need to:

change the Port Forwarding setup to point to PC #2 and PC #3 each time the host changes.
OR, disable Port Forwarding and rely on UPNP to auto setup the port forwarding (very flakey)
OR Setup Port Triggering in which outbound traffic on predetermined ports ('triggering ports') causes inbound traffic to specific incoming ports, in this case port 1802.

Tokuriku
January 28th, 2012, 11:27
Look at time of OP! :D

Ram Tyr
January 28th, 2012, 12:26
In the hopes of getting the Network FAQ updated, a link to another thread that touched on this.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15698

Rigil Kent
January 28th, 2012, 17:04
As the roommate in question, I'm now trying to get one of the other gamers in the group to login ... hey, Ramza0Tyr; wanna give it a try? :P

damned
January 28th, 2012, 17:06
have you set up inbound PAT/NAT for TCP1802 to the game host?
if so I will test with you?

Rigil Kent
January 28th, 2012, 17:15
have you set up inbound PAT/NAT for TCP1802 to the game host?
Yeah, I think so.

if so I will test with you?
Shot you a PM. Thanks!

damned
January 28th, 2012, 17:19
nope - no go - pls send me ip address...

Rigil Kent
January 28th, 2012, 17:27
OK. PMed you.

damned
January 28th, 2012, 17:28
nope - no go - you have not setup your router right.
check your pm.