PDA

View Full Version : [3.5E v2.8.1] Player targeting doesn't work

Callum
January 26th, 2012, 16:20
I can't get the player-controlled effect targeting to work. No matter who is targeted when an effect is applied, or whether the shift key is held down, no effect is targeted. The GM-controlled targeting via the combat tracker works fine, however (though it has to be applied one-by-one to each target).

Griogre
January 27th, 2012, 00:16
I'd double check the option to show player's effects is on. I think its off by default.

Callum
January 27th, 2012, 10:23
Do you mean the "Turn: Show Effects" option? That doesn't seem to be related, and turning it on didn't make any difference to the targeting issue, but I can't see any other option that you might be referring to...

Griogre
January 27th, 2012, 19:11
I'm not sure on what is not working for you. I think you talking about third party targeting? What specifically are the player's doing that isn't working and how is the effect written? Can you give an example?

Callum
January 27th, 2012, 19:57
You're quite right, Griogre - reading my original post, I can see that I wasn't very explicit - sorry!

What we're trying to make work is any effect that can be targeted, in the sense that it will only apply to specified opponents. We're trying to follow the method described in the User Guide under Character Sheet > Applying targeted effects. This should theoretically work for any effect in the Label: Modifiers or Label: Conditions tables with a "Y" in the T column. We've tried a few (e.g. ATK and Invisible), but none of them seem to be targetable by the players.

Griogre
January 27th, 2012, 23:41
I couldn't get it to work either. Typically the effect should be something like: TRGT; CA On a working drop in the 4E ruleset you end up with something like [TRGT: Blazing Skeleton 15]; CA after a shift drag so the name of the monster on the tracker appears after the TRGT keyword. Even when I typed in the effect manually in the 3.5 ruleset it did not seem to work IE [TRGT: Air Elemental, Huge 3]; CA

Moon Wizard
February 4th, 2012, 18:49
I'll have to take a look. However, I'm not happy with the current targeting method, but sure how I'm going to address yet. My current longer term plan is to create a targeting window that pops up when you drop a "targeted" effect that lets you specify the "effect targets".

Thanks,
JPG