PDA

View Full Version : Connection problem with Verizon Mifi 2200

Ceodryn
January 26th, 2012, 13:20
Hi,

I have recently downloaded the demo version of Fantasy Ground II, but cannot seem to have the connection test succeed.

I understand that I need to open the TCP inbound port 1802, and outbound port 1802. I did so in Windows 7 Firewall, however continue to have the connection test failing.

I connect to internet using a Verizon Mifi 2200, and do not seem to find any ability to open specific ports on this device. I can do some basic port forwarding as shown in this picture (https://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/140/a/f/scrap_by_art_of_omunall-d3grklu.jpg).

Would anyone has any suggestions, or even better, is anyone using a Mifi 2200 and able to connect to Fantasy Ground 2?

Thanks in advance
Ceodryn

damned
January 26th, 2012, 13:56
it doesnt look like you can setup custome ports/applications based on this screen so you might have to check advanced settings or you can try launching the fg app on your computer using one of these ports eg the pop3 port:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe" -p110
i think then on the player computer they will need to enter your public ip address + port, somthing like this: 4.8.8.8:110

Griogre
January 27th, 2012, 00:11
Aside from opening port 1802 TCP you also need to port forward 1802 to the local IP address of the server. My Verizon router (different model from yours) lets me port forward in the Firewall section.

Ceodryn
January 27th, 2012, 02:30
Damned, unfortunately, the screen I showed are the advanced settings. I'll try your suggestion. Just curious, what is the (x86) standing for in your explanation? Do I need to include this, or simply the path to the exe file with -p110.

Giorge, what model of verizon router do you have? The mifi 2200 doesn't have a firewall menu. It has port forwarding and port filtering, that's all.

Thanks both for your replies.
Ceodryn

Dakadin
January 27th, 2012, 03:08
Program Files (x86) is where 64 bit Windows operating systems install 32 bit applications. You just need to include the path to your FantasyGrounds.exe file.

Port forwarding and port filtering are basically the tasks that firewalls do. You just need to setup port forwarding for port 1802 like Griorge says.

damned
January 27th, 2012, 04:29
that string should just reflect the full path to the fantasygrounds.exe file and should include the -p switch to nominate the port...

Griogre
January 27th, 2012, 07:49
I have a Actiontek MI424WR Router. I have fios and there is a coax out on it. The MiFi 2200 actually appears to be a mobile hotspot that uses the 3G network to give you a broadband connection. Huh, learn something new every day - it looks pretty cool.

I'm doubtful you actually have accesses to the 3G's gateway to the Internet so you can actually open a port or port forward to a local IP address. You may need to call Verizon to find out. Just ask them if you can set up a game server. However the hotspot feature list specifically says it does VPNs so it looks like, worst case, you could use a VPN like Hamachi to set up a FG server.

Hamachi is a free for personal use VPN https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/download.aspx (you want unmanaged) and many have used it to host FG games.

Ceodryn
January 27th, 2012, 12:46
Thanks guys for the answers. The mifi 2200 is a great device, allowing me to have a good internet even in the country of Virginia, however as discussed, it's forwarding capabilities are limited.

I am planning to call Verizon today to ask. My goal isn't to host FG, but to connect to games hosted by GMs. Will the VPN allows me to do that?

Cheers
Ceodryn

damned
January 27th, 2012, 13:42
if you are connecting to someone elses game in all likelihood you need do nothing - it should just work. only the gm needs inbound tcp 1802...

Griogre
January 27th, 2012, 19:28
Like damned said, the player (client) almost never has to do anything to connect to the host. The test connection button is for those trying to host since the demo allows you to be either a host or a client.

Ceodryn
January 29th, 2012, 01:38
Ah, well that's good news. Maybe I'll be able to play even if I cannot GM. Thanks all for the help on my issue!

Griogre
January 29th, 2012, 01:44
You can probably GM with a VPN.