PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Bolt Attack Table

Dakadin
January 25th, 2012, 04:09
I noticed a problem with the Lightning Bolt attack table while working on the secondary criticals. A natural 100 sometimes results in a J critical which should be the following criticals: E Electricity, D Impact, and C Heat. The table only contains a J for the critical so it doesn't handle the criticals properly. It will only show the number of hits for those results. I just wanted everyone to be aware of it even though I know it will very rarely ever happen.

Trenloe
January 25th, 2012, 07:40
Thanks for pointing that out - good to know.

I'm looking forward to the day when my magician can cast lightning bolts and he'll get 100's all the time! ;)

lachancery
January 25th, 2012, 13:26
Thanks for pointing that out - good to know. I'm looking forward to the day when my magician can cast lightning bolts and he'll get 100's all the time! ;)
Ditto, thanks Dakadin.

Are you playing a magician in a game for real?

Trenloe
January 25th, 2012, 18:29
Are you playing a magician in a game for real?
Yep, sure am - Ardem's RM FRP game. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15743)

Dakadin
January 25th, 2012, 22:17
Trenloe, getting a natural 100 on a lightning bolt is one of the most fun results you can get in Rolemaster. I wish you lots of luck rolling them when you get your lightning bolts.

I have an idea for how to fix this. I will try to include it in the next release of Extend RMC.

lachancery
January 25th, 2012, 22:27
I have an idea for how to fix this. I will try to include it in the next release of Extend RMC.
As a heads up and along the same line of thoughts, there are other criticals which need to get "modified" in the resolution. I'm thinking it's simplest for the GM to remember these rules and treat them manually, but you may have an easy option to automate that too:

- Large Crits: only B to E resolve on the large table; A's are ignored.
- Super-Large Crits: only D & E resolve; A-C are igored
- Immunity I: B-E become one letter less; A gets -25 on roll
- Immunity II: C-E become two letter less; B gets -25 on roll; A gets -50 on roll

Dakadin
January 25th, 2012, 22:53
Yes, I thought of those but decided to keep them manual for right now but for different reasons.

The Large and Super Large would be fairly easy to implement but I decided to make them available for any criticals that are delivered. That way the GM has quick access to them but I added a feature that overcame my objection to do it. I added the ability to drag Critical and the M&M tables to the Table Resolver. I am going to leave it as manual for this release but let me know if we want it change for the next release since it is fairly easy to access the tables in the Table Resolver now.

The Immunity I & II criticals would take a bit more work because I have to determine the criticals and make adjustments for them. The additional(secondary) criticals that I am working on ended up doing basically the same thing but the modification is based on the attack so I can add it in the future. Also, I can't think of any way to automatically apply the -25 or -50 since the rolls happen as a manual process.

Ardem
January 26th, 2012, 08:49
100's I not sure I seen anything above 70 yet.

I ready to call your player Mr Fizzer hehehe.

-------------------------------

Also I noticed a difference between classic and FRP which I have not really looking into program wise yet. Some criticals in FRP are adjusted based on armour (e.g helmet, greaves etc). In RMC this is not taking into accound so it does mean me at this stageusing the RMC or atleast looking at the FRP critical tables just in case.

lachancery
January 26th, 2012, 14:45
Also I noticed a difference between classic and FRP which I have not really looking into program wise yet. Some criticals in FRP are adjusted based on armour (e.g helmet, greaves etc). In RMC this is not taking into accound so it does mean me at this stageusing the RMC or atleast looking at the FRP critical tables just in case.
I had two instances like that in my game last week-end. They were thigh crits with a description of "if wearing armor, +3 hits, if not, +3 hits & bleed 3/round". The attack was against AT14 (ie. with thigh armor), but the effect when I dragged the critical on the combat tracker included the bleeding.

It took me 5 seconds to overrule the effect in the combat tracker, so I didn't follow up on it. I'm thinking there is no conditional effects in the crit tables, so it's coded to pick one of the two and the GM fixes it as necessary.

Dakadin
January 26th, 2012, 16:16
I just checked the crit tables and they just have set values that are applied for each crit. They only have 1 entry per crit result so it's a manual process.

Dakadin
January 26th, 2012, 23:26
I put a fix for the Lightning Bolt J criticals in the lastest Extend RMC extension located here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15785.