PDA

View Full Version : Doing stat dmg as an effect

graphil
January 19th, 2012, 23:02
I tried an effect as DMG: 1D6 [CON] to do con damage to a player but it didn't do as expected. They got an effect attached but I don't see any impact to the character like reduced HP, saves or an entry in sheet for con dmg.
What am I missing?

Trenloe
January 19th, 2012, 23:18
1) DMG effects are applied to an attacker. So, if you want to do DMG: 1d6 to a player you must apply the effect to the attacker before you roll damage and the damage effect will be applied to any damage roll from that NPC. Check the "Label: Modifiers" section of the library user guide (expand the Effects title down the bottom left). DMG is listed as:

Mod Applied To D N T Descriptors Notes

DMG Attacker Y Y Y [bonus type], [range], [energy]* Damage rolls

2) I don't think attribute damage is supported in effects.

graphil
January 19th, 2012, 23:37
Could you give an example of how you would do a stirge's d4 con blood drain please.

madman
January 20th, 2012, 02:26
DMG: 1d4 [CON] is what it shows in the example. Link is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp)

Chris

Trenloe
January 20th, 2012, 03:51
DMG: 1d4 [CON] is what it shows in the example. Link is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp)

Chris
Unfortunately, those examples are taken from the 4E ruleset effects and haven't been modified to reflect exactly what was implemented for the 3.5E ruleset. So, it doesn't work.

I'm not aware of automatic attribute damage being implemented in the 3.5E ruleset.

So, to answer graphil's question, I apply stat damage the old-school way. In your example, roll a d4 manually and then either the player of the GM applies that damage to the "damage" column of the relevant attribute in the character sheet.

graphil
January 20th, 2012, 20:23
That will explain why I can't get it to work.

Phystus
January 21st, 2012, 16:15
You can apply a fixed penalty to a stat with an effect like this:
STR: -2

But the stat modifier effect doesn't support dice. So I use the same process Trenloe does.

~P

graphil
January 25th, 2012, 23:32
So that was OK for PC stat dmg. But for an NPC once they are in the CT there isn't a str score to lower.
Other than create a modifier and remember to apply it each time for attack and dmg (in the case of ray of enfeeblement) each time it is that NPC's go, is there a better way to do it?

Callum
January 26th, 2012, 11:09
You can apply effects in the Combat Tracker to both PCs and NPCs. For effects with a duration, this is the best way of doing it, as they will expire automatically at the appropriate time.

So, in the case of a PC casting ray of enfeeblement at an NPC, once the ray has hit and the player has rolled the d6 to get the size of the penalty, I'd then add a STR: -x modifier to the NPC's entry in the Combat Tracker, making sure that x was less than the NPC's Strength, and giving it the appropriate duration (10 times the PC's class level).