PDA

View Full Version : Some Encounter Maps

madman
January 17th, 2012, 02:20
Just thought I would share a few maps I made.

Random encounter Forrest Maps. They are nothing to write home about, but very useful.

Chris

madman
January 17th, 2012, 02:22
A Few More.

Chris

Trenloe
January 17th, 2012, 03:20
These are great Chris - thanks for sharing. They'll go in my "useful maps that can be used at any time" module for instant application to an unplanned campaign encounter... Using the layers extension and some of the campsite tokens from the Forest and Mountains module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DGA030) or any other tokens will allow me to use these again and again - for random encounters while travelling or for campsite encounters.

This makes me think - just rotating cool images such as these makes them look different to the players, I wonder how easy it would be (if it is possible at all without having to reload the image) to modify the layers extension to allow image rotation within FG?!? Hhhmmm... Ponder, ponder....

lachancery
January 17th, 2012, 03:57
They'll go in my "useful maps that can be used at any time" module for instant application to an unplanned campaign encounter... Using the layers extension and some of the campsite tokens from the Forest and Mountains module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DGA030) or any other tokens will allow me to use these again and again - for random encounters while travelling or for campsite encounters
Thanks for sharing how you handled this. I got caught exactly in that situation yesterday - a random encounter in a hilly woodland without a nearby map ready to manage it. I ended up skipping the encounter (humbug) rather than pausing the flow of the game.

Say, would you happen to know where I could get a good set of "decor" tokens? I only have a handful so far.

madman
January 17th, 2012, 03:58
That would give these and others much more use. I can never have enough maps for sure. That would be a cool feature.

As I make them I will post more.

Chris

@ lachancery (https://member.php?u=20315) try here (https://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=8) for tons of stuff

Trenloe
January 17th, 2012, 04:36
Say, would you happen to know where I could get a good set of "decor" tokens? I only have a handful so far.
You can get lots and lots with the CSUAC - a massive (600MB) set of images - primarily used for mapping software such as Campaign Cartographer, Dunjinni, Fractal Mapper, etc. But, perfect to select a few of these as tokens for dragging onto your maps!

Link to a CSUAC download site (https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/download.htm)

CSUAC download sites very often move around, as I believe there is an issue with the artists of some of the symbols withdrawing their permission to use their symbols. So, get them while you can... :)

phantomwhale
January 17th, 2012, 04:53
Karma added - love shared content, thanks Madman.

As for CSUAC, I presonally have found it easily to acquire it as a torrent file in the past. It's a handy bunch of bits for VTT gaming, that's for sure.

lachancery
January 17th, 2012, 04:59
Thanks Madman & Trenloe! I should have asked before, these are fantastic resources. :)

mobilenoble27
January 18th, 2012, 01:02
Thanks so much! I will definately get a lot of use out of these!

madman
January 18th, 2012, 01:36
Some more I made some time ago.

Chris

madman
January 18th, 2012, 02:17
And a couple more.

Chris

Trenloe
January 18th, 2012, 02:51
These are great as well. :) Thanks for sharing.

What application do you use to create these?

Dakadin
January 18th, 2012, 02:57
Thanks for sharing all of these. I definitely plan on using them.

madman
January 18th, 2012, 03:25
Photoshop!

And I was not doing anything so 2 more.

Chris

lachancery
January 18th, 2012, 15:28
Like Trenloe said... Great maps, thanks for sharing!

Torgaard
January 18th, 2012, 21:11
Dude, those are awesome! And thanks a ton. Ya just can't have enough maps. I'll put those to good use.

madman
January 19th, 2012, 02:45
I hear ya! snagged the ones you put up too.

Chris

madman
January 19th, 2012, 04:33
Was looking through my textures and was inspired to do another swamp map. It's kind of big.

Chris

madman
January 19th, 2012, 05:38
A New One.

Chris

lachancery
January 19th, 2012, 05:41
Very cool, as usual. Say, might your current be happening in a swamp, or do you have a special thing in your heart for marshes? ;)

madman
January 19th, 2012, 12:08
I only have so many textures that make a good starting point.

Always looking for more.

Chris

Tokuriku
January 20th, 2012, 00:10
You my friend, are a genius!

madman
January 20th, 2012, 03:55
Here is one with an entrance to a cave. If anyone has an idea for one let me know.

Chris

lachancery
January 20th, 2012, 04:16
I only have so many textures that make a good starting point.

Always looking for more.
Got it. Will send any I find your way. ;)

Thanks for all the maps, great stuff!

madman
January 21st, 2012, 04:36
Not to sure I like this one? I needed it for kingmaker.

Chris

Remy Braathen
January 30th, 2012, 21:27
Great maps! Thank you

madman
February 1st, 2012, 03:52
A New one I did tonight. that I needed for A Game.Along with the graphic if anyone wants it.

Chris

Torgaard
February 1st, 2012, 15:17
Ohh, nice one! Kinda inspires a few ideas for encounters and/or adventures. Snaggin' it.

Answulf
February 5th, 2012, 21:08
You are a map-making madman, Madman! These are awesome, thanks!

lachancery
February 8th, 2012, 06:25
Hey guys, looking for ideas. I am pretty sucky at making maps, so I'm hoping someone will be able to point me to a place that has what I need (I don't mind buying it).

My game stopped Sunday at an encounter that I set up using the map "DA Plains Trail.JPG" from the module "Digital Adventures Presents: Map Adventures #2 - Deserts, Caverns, and Plains".

The map is essentially a plain with grass, bushes and flower beds, cut by trail/road heading north-south, crossed by a stream going east-west. In the encounter, there is a wagon with one of its back wheel caught in the stream. The NPCs have not noticed the players, who are watching from over the hill 500 feet away.

Players, being players, are preparing a charge/suprise attack for which I won't have enough map real estate from the north (where they're coming from).

Has anyone ever seen a map like this? Does anyone know what software DA uses to make their maps, so I could try to extend it?

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2012, 07:32
Has anyone ever seen a map like this? Does anyone know what software DA uses to make their maps, so I could try to extend it?

For a simple approach, how about trying Pyro's Dungeon Builder (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14877) map making application? You could make a bigger map that looks vaguely like the one you already have (in terms of colour, features, etc.), save it and then overlay your original map in the middle of the larger one to create a bigger map with the central encounter area. Of course, there will be an obvious join, but it will probably work and be quite quick...

Then, if needs be, you could play around in whichever image/graphics program you use (I use GIMP) and smooth out the join, clone areas, etc...

Or, start with a new large, blank image in GIMP (or whatever tool you use), import the original encounter map into the middle and use tools in GIMP to clone sections of the map. Look for add on images on the internet to add terrain and also textures.

There are other posts in the forums on how people use graphics programs to create maps and textures and feature images are mentioned - I think there's a thread by DrZeuss, and also look at post #6 on this thread for a link to the CSUAC image archive.

Trenloe
February 8th, 2012, 07:46
And there's the Vintyri Project (https://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex.htm)with lots of textures and symbols.

silvereagle72
February 11th, 2012, 21:19
Id welcome more general maps... Its nice to be able to grab a map for a random encounter and have it have a little flavor :)

madman
February 11th, 2012, 23:17
I thought those were very generic maps myself?

Chris

wbcreighton
February 12th, 2012, 17:56
I think he just wants more of them... :D

silvereagle72
February 13th, 2012, 01:28
I think he just wants more of them... :D

Exactly... Not a complaint at all on the ones here :) More please :):)

Yospeck
February 23rd, 2012, 01:16
Good job on the maps :) I love threads like this, not only for the freebies but all the advice and links to other sites that I didn't know about where I can get... yes... more freebies!

madman
February 23rd, 2012, 07:19
I was looking for a map of a library and did not find any I liked. So I made one with Dundjinni and thought I'd share.

Chris

Edit: I can't make up my mind. The .jpg is 50 pix an inch and the .png's are 100.

madman
February 29th, 2012, 15:53
Two Hours Later. Where does the time go?

Here is another one I need for a game, .png so you can drop it on any background you like.

Link is here (https://www.mediafire.com/?5il2i2938bxxrm3) FG would not let me upload it.

Chris

madman
February 29th, 2012, 16:16
I added a background to the keep so anyone can get good use out of it.

What the Hell, FG hates me. Again it will not let me upload a .jpg (2 MB) WHY?

Link to somewhere else for file (https://www.mediafire.com/?kg48ak9o8yz2sde)

Chris

Torgaard
February 29th, 2012, 16:48
What the Hell, FG hates me. Again it will not let me upload a .jpg (2 MB) WHY?

Ya, I get that too. Seems like if I get too close to the 2 MB range with a .jpg, it won't upload, even though it says the max file size is 3.8 MB.

Awesome map! Having a healthy library of ready-made .png structures with transparent backgrounds to drop wherever you need them is something I've wanted to get back to work on. So handy.

madman
February 29th, 2012, 17:13
OK, lets see if this one works?

Wow I have been messing with this for hours? Think thats it for today

madman
March 1st, 2012, 05:44
Ok I lie, one more. Here is the same map no buildings.

Torgaard
March 2nd, 2012, 02:23
Ohhh, nice! That is some rockin' terrain. That chokepoint would make for a fun encounter.

Blackdove
August 8th, 2012, 21:38
Amazing maps. Thanks for sharing!

madman
August 14th, 2017, 18:56
Edit: Moved Post

Waldbaer
September 30th, 2017, 19:18
I honestly love your maps :)

Luke80
October 1st, 2017, 07:52
Thank very much....great job

Gruber
November 4th, 2017, 13:57
The maps are really really great! Thanks.

Angloson
August 12th, 2018, 10:38
Hello all.

I've downloaded these maps from the Dropbox link. I then put the two .mod files into my module folder for FG. The mods are not showing up in my library. Do I need to just save the individual maps into the image folder? OR put the modules into my specific campaign data folders somewhere? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Doswelk
August 12th, 2018, 16:08
Hello all.

I've downloaded these maps from the Dropbox link. I then put the two .mod files into my module folder for FG. The mods are not showing up in my library. Do I need to just save the individual maps into the image folder? OR put the modules into my specific campaign data folders somewhere? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

The modules are coded to work with the Pathfinder Ruleset: <ruleset>PFRPG</ruleset>

You will need to edit definition.xml in both mod files to: <ruleset>Any</ruleset>

madman
August 12th, 2018, 16:12
I made the .mod files for the pathfinder ruleset. Is that what you are using?

Madman..

Ninja'd....... Ruleset tag is Any now!

Angloson
August 13th, 2018, 14:50
I made the .mod files for the pathfinder ruleset. Is that what you are using?

Madman..

Ninja'd....... Ruleset tag is Any now!

Thanks all!! Silly me. And yes, I was trying to use it for 5E.