PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Fighting Fantasy Ruleset

Arion
January 16th, 2012, 14:05
So i am the publisher of the new version of AFF, and although i did many of the playtests of the new system just using the generic ruleset, i am wondering if anyone would be interested in putting together a free ruleset for AFF?

For several reasons i won't be doing a fully commercial ruleset, but what i would like to have available is a character sheet, combat calculator, and some flexibility for putting in your own special skills, spells etc which would then deduct magic points when cast. I wouldn't include text from the rulebooks.

It is a very simple ruleset, so i don't imagine it being a vast project, and i could offer a full set of books in return. I personally have no skill at coding, and not much free time to learn, so i thought i would throw it out there to see if anyone was interested?

Zeus
January 17th, 2012, 20:02
So i am the publisher of the new version of AFF, and although i did many of the playtests of the new system just using the generic ruleset, i am wondering if anyone would be interested in putting together a free ruleset for AFF?

Welcome to the FGII community.

Would this be an evolution of the original FF series by Ian Livingston and Steve Jackson?
I may not have time immediately available but would be open to supporting such a ruleset moving forward - timeframe being a month or so.

For several reasons i won't be doing a fully commercial ruleset, but what i would like to have available is a character sheet, combat calculator, and some flexibility for putting in your own special skills, spells etc which would then deduct magic points when cast. I wouldn't include text from the rulebooks.

Is AFF principally based upon the same single player game style of the original FF books? i.e. if you attack the beast turn to page 49, if not and you decide to flee turn to page 35 etc. etc.

If so a Charsheet and CT would fulfil the basic needs agreed. However what about a Wizard to perhaps help create a character? As to rulebook text, its of course your decision, however if you like I can help you convert them to modules if you have the text in an electronic format of some kind (text, PDFs etc.). You could then make the base ruleset FoC but charge a small fee for the module rulebooks/adventures?

That way, users who buy the books can still use FGII to help automate their games, whilst pure FGII users can purchase the modules as opposed to the hardcopy books. Just a thought.

It is a very simple ruleset, so i don't imagine it being a vast project, and i could offer a full set of books in return. I personally have no skill at coding, and not much free time to learn, so i thought i would throw it out there to see if anyone was interested?

PM your email address and we can discuss the raw requirements, including any graphics/theme requirements. However please note I wouldn't be in a position to start for a month or so (just finishing a large HPC project at the moment).

Arion
January 17th, 2012, 20:17
Sounds fantastic (PM Sent also!)

It was based on the gamebooks, but with a little more crunch.
This is a semi-automated pdf character sheet:

https://arion-games.com/AFF-HeroSheet-Fillable.pdf

This is pretty much all of the info that would go into it. Character creation takes somewhat less than 5min normally, so a wizard isn't really required either.

Regarding the inclusion of text; My license actually prohibits electronic distribution, whether pdf or whatever format, and although i probably could renegotiate, it would require quite a lot of money/effort/time etc
If i release a free ruleset with just char sheet and CT, i can do that under the current terms.

The timescale is absolutely fine with me!

neilgfoster
January 19th, 2012, 10:52
I would be interested in creating the ruleset as well, depending on your timescales as I would be doing it in my free time (which is somewhat limited)

I have developed a couple of community rulesets for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st and 3rd edition - You can download these rulesets from my website if you wish to see my work: https://www.theforbiddentome.com

Obviously, DrZeuss posted first, but PM me if you are interested. I still own some of my original FF books, and have looked at purchasing the AFF books - so some in return for a ruleset sounds like a good deal to me!

Zeus
January 21st, 2012, 00:37
If your both open guys, I'll happy collaborate with neil and any other community members to help speed up the development cycle.

We can create a fork off the latest Foundation Core ruleset to help get the ruleset baselined. Let me know if your both OK with this.

Arion
January 21st, 2012, 09:48
I personally am quite happy for a collaboration on this. It reduces individual workload and speeds thing up!

If you both email me at admin@arion-games i can get you a pdf of the rulebook and other information

Zeus
January 21st, 2012, 10:46
I sent you an email. Happy for you to share with Neil.

phantomwhale
January 21st, 2012, 10:46
Dr Z / Neil,

Would be nice to be involved in this work, possibly more from the angle of following the code and seeing how well it extends Foundations-Core - I would probably not look at committing a lot of code (Savage still keeps me pretty busy...).

If you maybe were doing via a Github repository, I could submit pull requests where I see improvements to be made, and track the progress from there. I forsee perhaps just as many additions made to the foundations-core as to the FF extension, but essentially thought it would be great if work on this, free, open extension could be used as a driver to polish up the "extensibility" of foundations-core for others (maybe including SW and even 4E in a utopian future... but I digress)

If you do decide to go with an hosted VCS-style development approach, let me know. Github do great public repositories (of course), or bitbucket offer private repositories (free for < 5 people) if public doesn't appeal for some reason.

Cheers,
-PW-

Zeus
January 21st, 2012, 11:37
I was planning on using git. See my post in the Foundation Core thread.

I just pulled down a local copy. Tried to create a branch using the following command but it failed with the following error message (been a while since I used git) :(

lolth:Fantasy-Grounds-foundations-core zeph$ git checkout -b DrZ
Switched to a new branch 'DrZ'
lolth:Fantasy-Grounds-foundations-core zeph$ git push origin DrZ
fatal: remote error:
You can't push to git://github.com/joshuha/Fantasy-Grounds-foundations-core.git
Use [email protected]:joshuha/Fantasy-Grounds-foundations-core.git

phantomwhale
January 21st, 2012, 13:23
Two thoughts - firstly, if AFF is going to be an extension for foundations core, I presume there would be a new repository for this ?

Secondly, if you are trying to do your own branches / versions of foundations-core, you need to fork the repository on GitHub (there is a button for it on the main project). You'll only have read-only access to the main repository - but you'll have read-write access to your fork. You can then make changes (inc. adding branches) to the forked repository, and submit "pull requests" via github for anything you think should go back into the main codebase.

That way, all change sets to be added to the core ruleset get marked as a proposed change, with reasons why, and can be code reviewed by hopefully a core group of interested devs. I've asked Joshua to add me to the "commiters" list (I dare say he'd welcome your good self on board too !)

Zeus
January 21st, 2012, 19:30
OK. Haven't used git in eons so forgive me if my working knowledge of git is not unto date. I will happily create a new repository and fork off the master foundation core branch if thats the preferred approach.

All I guess I need is a local copy of the ruleset that I can work from to build the AFF extension. As I am developing the extension it may become necessary to update the base ruleset so I guess a means of pushing back any changes I make for submission to the base ruleset for consideration would be useful.

It would also be very useful to be able to pull down updates to the base ruleset and merge them with my own branch if possible.

Could I ask someone more familiar and unto date with git to summarise the commands that would be needed to set this up. Many thanks.

phantomwhale
January 22nd, 2012, 03:20
I was limbering up to write a few commands out with some links, but actually this page seems to have it pretty well covered :

https://help.github.com/fork-a-repo/

That said, happy to help with any other questions, having slogged through git pretty hard the last 12 months (I first used it when I took on SW, as just learning LUA and the FGII API clearly wasn't enough !)

neilgfoster
January 23rd, 2012, 09:34
Guys, was away this weekend so just catching up.

Arion & DrZeuss - Im happy to collaborate. I have sent you both a PM with my personal details. Would be worth sending an email around so we can all catch up and introduce ourselves properly.

neilgfoster
February 20th, 2012, 12:37
Bump. Did you guys get my PM's? If you guys don't need any help then no problem as I have plenty of other stuff to get on with in my other rulesets!

Davceaser
May 22nd, 2012, 15:41
Did this ruleset ever get finished? I'm thinking about running an Advanced Fighting Fantasy game.

neilgfoster
May 22nd, 2012, 17:39
I am currently developing this ruleset. Its very early days at the moment - the base ruleset code is complete and I am now working on the layour for the character sheet.

blacklibrary
July 2nd, 2015, 14:26
Thanks to everyone who has worked on this. I am impressed.

I have just downloaded the finished ruleset from https://www.arion-games.com/AFF-FG.html and it is an excellent addition to Fantasy Grounds. Unless I am missing a link, the module library is not included on the Arion website, but is available from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Modules.

flashingturtle
March 30th, 2018, 21:47
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of doing something with this but the link for the finished ruleset gives me a 404 error.

Can I still download this ruleset?

Thanks in advance

damned
March 31st, 2018, 13:17
See Attached.
Wiki link updated to point here.

flashingturtle
March 31st, 2018, 19:58
thanks

took me a while to realise it goes in the rulesets folder!