PDA

View Full Version : My take on Spellguard Ramparts

adminwheel3
January 16th, 2012, 02:23
I'm using the maps from the Scepter Tower of Spellguard as a baseline for a small arc in my game. I thought I would share some images of the renderings I've made in Google Sketchup.

One is of the Ramparts, the other is of the Tower. On the Tower I've taken some artistic license and modified the layout for my own uses, but the general idea is still intact.

One of the things most interesting when putting something in three dimension is you notice that a 'slender tower' that's 80ft wide and 200ft tall, ain't that slender. You also start having to think about wall and floor thickness, which is a pain.

I wouldn't recommend this type of mapping unless you really enjoy the process, however if you check out the library for Sketchup there are loads of castles and other resources that other folks have already rendered which might be fun to use.

damned
January 16th, 2012, 06:45
ahh - i have been building a castle in sketchup to turn into a paper model. i have the structure completed but havent yet worked out how im going to do the tower and wall crenelations - have 3 different versions im working on, mostly in terms of complexity to build. the large tower has no crenellation at all in these pics and one other has a double layer. no detail has been applied to the buildings yet other than a quick paint fill. the castle has barracks, stables, smithy, great hall, chappel, bell tower, officers quarters, killing zones, second storey connecting passages, lots of towers etc.
https://www.itng.com.au/images/damian/castle1a.jpg https://www.itng.com.au/images/damian/castle2a.jpg

gmkieran
January 18th, 2012, 20:21
Very cool! I actually just finished using the Spellguard stuff, heavily modified, as a base for an arc between H2 and H3. I did all the work in Sketchup and then exported to 2D maps for play in FG - has the added advantage of being able to do flavor shots without having to do a separate piece. I'll post a couple images when I get back to my home PC - I had a *lot* of fun with Fallcrest. Sketchup is definitely my tool of choice for mapping. :D

The first is my take on the original Spellgard catacombs, the second is my revised version for the H2-H3 bridge.