PDA

View Full Version : Combat Encounter, Map Placement, Combat Tracker Help!

Johnnyr
January 15th, 2012, 19:48
Hi!

I;m new to FG, so I'm having a bit of trouble understand how to set up a combat encounter. I create an encounter, with two enemies in it. I place their token on one of the maps, so that I get the little check that indicates they have been placed. However as soon as I close the encounter, the tokens disappear from the map, and when I open it back up, they do not reappear. they also do not show up as enemies when I place them Like this.

When I add them to the combat tracker, they show up on whatever map I have open, but without any of the scaling or position's I've put them in. However now they are on the combat tacker, and I'm assuming any Pc can see that, in which case I wouldn't wanted them added to that until it was time for the encounter anyway.

So can someone explain what I;m doing wrong, and how I can set up a combat encounter, and when it's time, add the enemies to the map in their predetermined positions?

Zeus
January 15th, 2012, 20:30
Hi!

I;m new to FG, so I'm having a bit of trouble understand how to set up a combat encounter. I create an encounter, with two enemies in it. I place their token on one of the maps, so that I get the little check that indicates they have been placed. However as soon as I close the encounter, the tokens disappear from the map, and when I open it back up, they do not reappear. they also do not show up as enemies when I place them Like this.

This is normal behaviour. The tokens will not 're-appear' on maps until you have added the encounter to the CT. Click the icon in the bottom left of the encounter to add it to the CT.

When I add them to the combat tracker, they show up on whatever map I have open, but without any of the scaling or position's I've put them in. However now they are on the combat tacker, and I'm assuming any Pc can see that, in which case I wouldn't wanted them added to that until it was time for the encounter anyway.

Instead of adding the NPCs to the CT, add the entire encounter. This will add all the NPCs and will place the tokens on the map in the correct position and scale (assuming your map image has a grid enabled).

So can someone explain what I;m doing wrong, and how I can set up a combat encounter, and when it's time, add the enemies to the map in their predetermined positions?

Here's a video tutorial I made when I wrote the Enhanced Images and Encounters extension for 4E. The first half of the video focuses on making a token based map using Enhanced Images. The second half focuses on creating an encounter with pre-placed NPCs.

4E Enhanced Images & Encounters Walkthrough (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=114668&postcount=62)

Johnnyr
January 15th, 2012, 21:23
This is normal behaviour. The tokens will not 're-appear' on maps until you have added the encounter to the CT. Click the icon in the bottom left of the encounter to add it to the CT.

Instead of adding the NPCs to the CT, add the entire encounter. This will add all the NPCs and will place the tokens on the map in the correct position and scale (assuming your map image has a grid enabled).

Here's a video tutorial I made when I wrote the Enhanced Images and Encounters extension for 4E. The first half of the video focuses on making a token based map using Enhanced Images. The second half focuses on creating an encounter with pre-placed NPCs.

4E Enhanced Images & Encounters Walkthrough (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=114668&postcount=62)

Ah ok, I see. So they show up in the right place now, and I figured out the scale thing (global scale) But their rotation goes back to default. Is there any way to lock the rotation?

Also, is there any way to export PC from one campaign to another (if they are local, say if I wanted to test a few different campaigns with different characters)

Zeus
January 16th, 2012, 00:10
Ah ok, I see. So they show up in the right place now, and I figured out the scale thing (global scale) But their rotation goes back to default. Is there any way to lock the rotation?

Hmm not sure but I don't think rotation is recorded.

Also, is there any way to export PC from one campaign to another (if they are local, say if I wanted to test a few different campaigns with different characters)

Yes use the /exportchar [charname] and /importchar commands in the chatwindow to export and import characters.

See the Library (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/ref_chat_commands.xcp) for more information.

Johnnyr
January 16th, 2012, 18:24
DrZeuss I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you =)

lachancery
January 16th, 2012, 21:21
See the Library (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/ref_chat_commands.xcp) for more information.

Speaking of that page, I was looking for the / command yesterday during my game to reveal GM dice, but couldn't find it. I don't use that option very much; one of the player was missing and I wanted to show rolls I made for the character to the other players.

What is it again?

Dakadin
January 16th, 2012, 21:45
The commands to show and hide dice are:

/die reveal
/die hide