PDA

View Full Version : Adding notes to a module

RosenMcStern
January 15th, 2012, 11:39
In order to make them visible to players, in one of our soon-available adventures I have placed some pieces of information in the notes. Later on, I have manually inserted them into the module, as the export routine does not allow you to export notes. This procedure worked, as the notes do appear in game (they are accessed via shortcuts on a map). However, this is an undocumented feature. Is it safe, or do I risk that it will cease working in a future release?

Zeus
January 15th, 2012, 15:37
As long as Notes continue to be supported in Rulesets and as long as they continue to have reference links, you should be fine linking to them from module story items.

I'll add a note to add notes to the /export command in a future update of ExportManager.

Having said that, in 4E and 3.5E you can now share Story items to Players as well. Given Story items use formattedtextfields as opposed to plain strings (which Notes use). It maybe better to just use Story sheets in 4E and 3.5E.

RosenMcStern
January 20th, 2012, 11:46
Alas, the module is for BRP, so it uses all the "fancy bells and whistles" that were available in 2010, but not the most recent ones. No sharing of story items :(, at least until someone "ports" that feature over.

Thanks for the insight, anyway. An option for the exporter would definitely help, too.

RosenMcStern
January 29th, 2012, 19:46
One more detail. The notes load fine from the module for the GM, but they do not appear in the Note tab. Since I use them to populate shortcuts in maps, they are still accessible to the GM, but they cannot be shared with the players unless you copy/paste them into another note.

Zeus
January 31st, 2012, 22:06
One more detail. The notes load fine from the module for the GM, but they do not appear in the Note tab. Since I use them to populate shortcuts in maps, they are still accessible to the GM, but they cannot be shared with the players unless you copy/paste them into another note.

I need to take a closer look at the Notes window class implementation but I'm guessing its not keyed to support module data i.e its not using the <useallmodules /> tag and probably doesn't support Categories.

RosenMcStern
February 1st, 2012, 13:14
Support for categories is definitely not there, in fact.

Moon Wizard
February 4th, 2012, 18:21
I think that Notes actually use the "ownedonly" flag on the PC side. You can try writing an extension to remove the tag. Then, any notes written by any character would be visible on every player's screen, including shared GM notes (including modules).

I do have a feature request for "public" notes. Once these are built, you could make module notes "public".

Regards,
JPG