PDA

View Full Version : Weapons draggable into NPC Sheets?

milspec
January 14th, 2012, 07:42
Hi,

Some things, like skills, and draggable into the NPC sheets. Are weapons? I couldn't get it to work.

Is this hard to add? My GM asked me to look into it (since it will save him time setting up NPCs), so I may try to hack it in myself. :-)

milspec

dplehwalder
January 14th, 2012, 17:05
Yes they can be dragged, just make sure your dragging it to the Inventory.

phantomwhale
January 14th, 2012, 23:03
Ha - I didn't even know you could drag skills to NPC sheets :)

No, weapons can't be dragged onto NPCs currently. If you want to get it added properly into the ruleset, then the wishlist link is below; that's the list I work off for new features so feel free to create a ticket, or vote on others you'd like to see.

If you want to hack it, then you'll need to build an extension (or hack the actual ruleset code... but be careful at upgrade time !) to adjust the "npc_combat" windowclass. Within there, you should be able to add an "onDrop" handler to the weapon list to capture the attributes of the dragged "weapon" object and copy them into a new windowlist entry.

phantomwhale
January 15th, 2012, 00:32
...OR I could write the code and put it out as a mini-extension which means you guys can make sure this bit of code is nicely tested before it gets "officially" released.

(might be onto something here...)

Try the attached extension. It should allow drag and drop of weapons onto NPCs (but not from NPCs)

Bear in mind that this will clash with any other extension that effects the NPC sheet, such as Deadlands: Reloaded, and any other setting extension that modifies the NPC window - can't get around that easily (other than more hacking, or wait for the official release).

This has been added into the next version of SW ruleset, so no need to add anything onto the wishlist, unless you'd like to see more changes to the NPC weapon stuff.

ATTACHMENT REMOVED - SEE BELOW FOR WORKING COPY

milspec
January 15th, 2012, 11:21
Thanks, it sort of works. ;-)

I can drag and drop weapons onto existing NPCs ("Personalities").

However, it does not allow me to drag and drop onto new NPCs, since the Attack field is not populated with its first blank line and does not allow for creation of an item. To get around this I had to disable the extension, open the character to verify the Attack field had its initial blank line created, then re-enable the extension to get drag and drop working again.

Also, it does not drag the weapon damage or notes, it only drags the name. (I also can not edit the weapon damage field to add 2d6, for example, it only allows bonuses such as +2).

Let me know if you need any other info. I will try to test it again later, our game is in a few hours.

Thanks for the effort on this, its a good start. :-)

milspec

dplehwalder
January 15th, 2012, 16:46
I can drag weapons to new or old characters. Drag it to the Inventory sections as I stated above. This will also create a Action on your actions tab for the weapon. Mine is also populating the damage, Range, attack type etc, when I do this. NOTE: I am running the current version with no mods to it. Also I just noticed this is Savage Worlds forums (Hit the new posts button), I know this works for 3.5.

dplehwalder
January 15th, 2012, 16:48
During game play I share items that the players find. They all are able to then drag the shared item to their sheet and it adds automatically.

milspec
January 16th, 2012, 11:47
dplehwalder, I think this issue is specific to Savage Worlds, stop teasing us with your tales of the 3.5 ruleset. ;-)

phantomwhale, let me know if you need more info about this issue. I just re-tested and it works same as above (drags name only into existing NPCs, not new NPCs).

phantomwhale
January 16th, 2012, 22:34
I assure you SWEX has many features superior to the 3.5E ruleset. I know this because I personally stole them from the 4E ruleset ;)

Now, this broken extension - overlooking that my generous pre-release patch was merely a "good start" (!) you are quite right, it didn't work. As an aside to all FGII authors, beware of adding a leading "/" in the file attribute of script elements, as they appear to work locally, but fail when you bundle them up:

<script file="/scripts/this_will_work_until_you_zip_it_up.lua" />

<script file="scripts/this_is_the_right_way_of_doing_it.lua" />

So with that pesky character removed, here is an extension that should work for EVERYONE (not just for me !) - fortunately I had this bug before during playtest, and it took far too long to find that time...

Let me know how this one works out.

NOTE - THERE IS AN EVEN BETTER VERSION TO TRY OUT - JUST GO TO THE NEXT PAGE !!

milspec
January 17th, 2012, 00:28
Yes, that works, thanks. :-) I was able to drag from the weapon sheet and it updated the NPC sheet with weapon name and weapon damage.

Any way to include the "small grey dot" so the item sheet can be opened from that line - like on the PC sheet?

If not, no worries - this does the job.

milspec

Doswelk
January 17th, 2012, 07:25
Didn't seem to work for me :(

Was running Deadlands though

phantomwhale
January 17th, 2012, 22:23
Grey dot... Ok, that means storing the whole weapon stats (mostly hidden) on the NPC... but that also means you could drag and drop weapons over to PCs and they'd be there. OH - and if you drag and drop NPCs onto the PC list (to make them PCs) they have fully complete weapon entries.

Like it ! New version attached. This could be an excellent way to pre-playtest new features, you know...

Re: Doswelk's point; other extensions that overwrite NPCs won't work with it; which is probably all of them as there is always a new / renamed NPC field in there somewhere.

They said, for the ambitious hacker wanting to add it to an existing extension, I've just posted 80% of the work for you - it's just copy and paste now ;)

But don't go mangling nice, stable code - this will be in the next official release too - promise !

milspec
January 18th, 2012, 00:32
Yes, that worked. It also has the benefit of populating the weapon notes (which we use to list the firing modes in our game) and allows dragging of weapons between different NPC sheets. I also tested dragging NPCs into PCs, as you mentioned, and the weapons fully populate.

Thanks for all of your work on that, it will save my GM a lot of time.

phantomwhale
January 18th, 2012, 00:39
Yes, the notes field should of *ahem* been populating in the last release, but that was *ahem* a bug I spotted whilst adding the link circle.

Happy to help.

AMonkeyWithAFez
January 20th, 2012, 03:16
Awesome work! It was so nice to be able to drag items onto the npc sheet.

Thank you!