PDA

View Full Version : 5E Discussion

ddavison
January 10th, 2012, 04:36
Perhaps I should start a new forum category for this... but here goes.

I'll have to check in with WoTC to see what their thoughts are on third-party tools for 5E. Does anyone know the specifics of the NDA or whatever you have to sign for the playtest/beta yet?

Furthermore, how likely are you guys to switch over to 5E as it releases? I'm guessing we will need to start on a ruleset relatively early in order to have one ready without too much of a delay after it releases.

unerwünscht
January 10th, 2012, 05:35
Honestly without any details at on how the system will function I would have to say that there is less than a 10% chance that I will be moving to 5th ed. I have been following it with my fans on Facebook and it looks like the feeling is mutual among most 3.5 and 4th ed players, almost everyone is pretty sure they will not be using D&D 5th Ed unless it does something impressive.

My suggestion was for it to hide a whiskey flask in the spine of the book, but I dont think that will help much for Fantasy Grounds ;)

damned
January 10th, 2012, 06:22
hide a whiskey flask in the spine of the book, but I dont think that will help much for Fantasy Grounds ;)

the great thing about that is you wont have to share your whisky with the other players if you are using FG!

unerwünscht
January 10th, 2012, 08:29
the great thing about that is you wont have to share your whisky with the other players if you are using FG!

Ah but you see, that in and of itself is the one great flaw I have found with Fantasy Grounds. Sure the program is the best VTT in my opinion currently available, but yet there is still no way for the players to bring a mixed assortment of booze to the table ;) What we need is an instant transport device, then the VTT world could really take off.

Answulf
January 10th, 2012, 12:51

I'll have to check in with WoTC to see what their thoughts are on third-party tools for 5E. Does anyone know the specifics of the NDA or whatever you have to sign for the playtest/beta yet?

Furthermore, how likely are you guys to switch over to 5E as it releases? I'm guessing we will need to start on a ruleset relatively early in order to have one ready without too much of a delay after it releases.

5E forum category is certainly needed - might as well start it now. :)

Personally, I probably wont be interested in using FG to play test 5E unless it's really picked up a lot of steam. Sounds like a major rule set development headache...

Zeus
January 10th, 2012, 13:00
5E forum category is certainly needed - might as well start it now. :)

Personally, I probably wont be interested in using FG to play test 5E unless it's really picked up a lot of steam. Sounds like a major rule set development headache...

I'll +1 the suggestion for 5E forum category now. Moving forward I foresee the need for:

- D&D Base Ruleset
- 1E Extension
- 2E Extension
- 3.5E Extension
- 4E Extension
- 5E Extension

I'm game to help out with development. :) although not sure which edition I'll be playing yet.

madman
January 10th, 2012, 17:42
Odd that the new 5E Board Is above 4E and above 3.5E are we counting backwards?

Chris

VenomousFiligree
January 10th, 2012, 18:52

By release do you mean official release or play test release? Would be good to have a bare bones ruleset to run the play test on.

ddavison
January 11th, 2012, 06:18
Probably both. It depends on whether or not we are allowed into the beta/playtest group in an official capacity as Fantasy Grounds. We would obviously make sure that doing so did not impair our ability to develop anything for FG in the future due to any agreements necessary to participate.

We did (and still do) sell products from Malhavoc Press, so Monte is on reasonably good speaking terms with us at least.