PDA

View Full Version : How to find the token from the map in the combat tracker?

Nilliom
January 5th, 2012, 17:44
Hi

I had a game last night, and I had some problems where the monsters where on the map, the players where deciding which one to attack but when I was to apply the damage I could not find the right monster in the tracker unless a clicked on the tracker and looked on the map if it was the one with the circule around.

Is there an easier way to find what combat tracker monster correspond to a token on the map?

Thanks

gmkieran
January 5th, 2012, 17:57
Hey, Nilliom!

There are several things you and your players can do here. First, if you mouse-over the token on the map for a moment, it should tell you what that token is called in the CT. Also, you, as the GM, don't *have* to apply the damage unless you want to. If your players drag their attack and then their damage dice to the token on the map (wait until you see the name come up to make sure you're over the token) and drop them, 4e will automatically roll the attack against the target's appropriate stat and then also automatically apply the damage. It will even account for saving throws and effects and such. The only time you may have to manually add damage to an NPC should be on additional damage effects given by special abilities. Just as a note, dragging attack and damage dice to the CT entry does the same thing as dragging them to the token, but doesn't tell you which token you're attacking; it's easier to target the CT entry, though, so your players may want to identify their target by mousing over it on the map and then dragging their dice onto the corresponding CT entry.

Hope that helps!
GMK

Trenloe
January 6th, 2012, 00:25
In addition to what gmkieran has said - you can do the same without dragging the attacks and damages onto the token.

Target the token by left clicking on it on the map - a circle in the colour of the player's dice will appear around the creature. Then, double-click the attack roll for the power you are using - it will do the same as drag-dropping the attack. Also, double-click for damage and it will be applied to the token targetted.

The advantage of this method is that it is easier to see who is targetted whom and also it can be used to attack and apply damage to multiple targets at once - as you can target more than one creature. The player can remove a target by clicking on a token already targetted.

gmkieran
January 6th, 2012, 01:58
Word of warning on that method - I've had issues with players targeting multiple tokens and using single target powers. FG gets confused. Caution your players against it and you should be fine, but just fyi. It is a *vastly* more effective method for multi-target spells, something I have to remind my players of occasionally.

Cheers!
GMK

Nilliom
January 6th, 2012, 14:46
Thanks this will help :)