PDA

View Full Version : Newb connection problems

Umpherous
January 5th, 2012, 01:31
Hi,

I'm trying to connect to the FG server. I tried several remedies based on past posts. Maybe someone could check my math to see what I'm doing wrong. Be advised: I didn't know about port forwarding until a few days ago.

I am running Windows 7 on an iMac via VMware Fusion -- this is where FG2 is running.

I have three firewalls to get through: Windows, McAfee, and the modem.

I created a port forwarding for FG2 on both McAfee and the modem, port 1802, TCP. Windows says that McAfee is controlling its firewall.

Once I did all that, I started FG2, loaded a module, and ran canyouseeme. I get: "Error: I could not see your service on 50.40.191.231 on port (1802)
Reason: Connection refused"

Thoughts on what to do next?

Thanks in advance,

Umpherous

Phystus
January 5th, 2012, 01:47
I would expect FG to refuse a connection from anything besides a FG client. Usually people with a forwarding problem get 'port stealthed' or something like that. Did you run the connection test from FG when you loaded the campaign? If so, did it say success or failure?

Also, has anyone tried connecting up to you?

~P

Umpherous
January 5th, 2012, 02:14
Phystus,

The connection test failed.

No one has attempted to connect yet. My gang of gamers are waiting to see if this works before investing.

damned
January 5th, 2012, 12:28
ensure that you have allowed incoming connections to both tcp1802 and to the fantasygrounds.exe programs in your mcafee firewall.

Trenloe
January 5th, 2012, 13:10
Also, what kind of network interface have you setup in VMWare? Bridged? NAT? This could make a difference... I'd recommend using bridged as this will give your Windows 7 VMware a specific (unique) IP address - then use this IP address for your port forwarding rules.

Umpherous
January 5th, 2012, 16:42
damned and Trenloe:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ran Windows 7 in VMware as bridged (wasn't before), found the unique IP address and then changed the forwarding rules. And....... SUCCESS

thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Umph

Trenloe
January 5th, 2012, 21:28
damned and Trenloe:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ran Windows 7 in VMware as bridged (wasn't before), found the unique IP address and then changed the forwarding rules. And....... SUCCESS

thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Umph
Hurray! Glad you got it working. :)

Happy gaming...