PDA

View Full Version : Demonstrating FG2

wbcreighton
January 5th, 2012, 00:06
I have a Full license of FG2 and would like to demonstrate how the program works to someone who does not own a license. What is the easiest and best way to do this ?

Can I run a demo using the Full license ?

I thought I read in the list of enhancements to v2.8 that any ruleset can be demonstrated.

I uninstalled FG and downloaded it then checked the Unregistered box on setup. It created a new campaign and saved it. Can I then demonstrate the program with this new campaign ? What are the limitations of the demo ?

Thanks. The capabilities of the demo aren't very clear on the web site documentation.

Valarian
January 5th, 2012, 08:50
I believe you can run the demo campaign and have an unregistered licensed version connect to it. I've not tried it myself. I think to demo for any ruleset, you need the ultimate license.

wbcreighton
January 5th, 2012, 18:07
I believe you can run the demo campaign and have an unregistered licensed version connect to it. I've not tried it myself. I think to demo for any ruleset, you need the ultimate license.

So if I run the demo campaign using my full license then an unregistered license can connect to it.

Lite and Unregistered versions can host demo campaign
Is what it says in the patch notes.

Lite/Unregistered versions can now demo any ruleset
Is what it says in the thread entitled Release Version 2.8.

I guess that is what is the confusing part. I don't want tp set up a demo with someone new then have it not work. Tends to turn people off the program.

Trenloe
January 6th, 2012, 00:15
I have just tested on my lite licence on my 2nd computer. With Lite (and so I presume unlicenced works this way too) you get the option to create a demo campaign or load a demo campaign. If you create a demo campaign (with a ruleset you select), however it will not save - so you get to run a session but when you exit, it is not there to use again.

You can use the demo campaign "A Tale of Dinor" to show your player how it all works.

Or you could create an adventure module with your full version and load this into a demo campaign. Or use a commercially available adventure module - the free "Well Met in Kith'takharos" works well.

Whatever process you use to get a demo campaign/module working using the above - only 1 player can connect at a time.

So, as long as you have uninstalled your full licence version, done a new install unlicenced and select "create demo campaign" or "load demo campaign" (and use a Tale of Dinor) then you should be able to demo for a single player connecting with an unlicenced copy.

wbcreighton
January 6th, 2012, 06:47
That kind of makes sense. Thanks.

Too bad I have to uninstall and then install an unregistered version.

Moon Wizard
January 10th, 2012, 22:35
I agree, but it was the easiest way to get the demo updated without burning a bunch of development effort. I'm going to see if I can extend the 1 only unregistered connection to the Full version, but it may not work with our current licensing code.

Cheers,
JPG

wbcreighton
January 12th, 2012, 06:15
Thanks. That would be a big help.