PDA

View Full Version : 4E Theme - Chromium PoC

Zeus
January 3rd, 2012, 11:11
Here's a proof of concept shot for a new FGII desktop UI style I have been playing with over the holidays.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the book icons and replacing them with articles on the lower desktop. Also considering 'pinning' articles to the desktop background 'wall' - a bit like a notice board.

Thoughts?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6627162661_0bd416db44_z.jpg (https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6627162661_fbbce9709e_o.jpg)

Nilliom
January 3rd, 2012, 12:33
In my opinion it would make it harder to get to those items, when maps and other windows are opened. Right now all the items are on the side.

As for notes and other items that we decide to pin to the desktop, that would look nice if the background had a notice board :)

Great looking background Dr Z.

unerwünscht
January 3rd, 2012, 17:48
That's kind of cool, I had played around with a very similar idea about a year ago. How did you get around the issues caused by screen size mismatch? (I.E. Things not being in the correct location when screen resolution set to a size the skin is not designed for, and when players have a resolution different from the GM.)

Blue Haven
January 3rd, 2012, 22:41
Wow so cool ;P very nice :)

ddavison
January 4th, 2012, 05:14
It just needs a bowl of pretzels and a beer or three and it would do the trick for me. :D

Very cool.

Zeus
January 4th, 2012, 14:27
@unerwünscht: this is just a digitised mock up made in PS. Not a rendered FGII screen (yet!). Just toying with UI overhaul concepts at this stage.

Having said that in production I would likely add then lower tabletop graphics as a new panel onto of the existing desktop tiled background. This way screen size wouldn't matter as the panel and frame could be made to scale to any dimensions.

@BlueHaven: Thanks

@ddavison: I could add some snack icons, smoking ashtray (could double as a Trash can) and a can or two. Hang on, I thought the accepted beverage for RPG games in the US was Mountain Dew. Obviously wrong :)

gmkieran
January 4th, 2012, 15:02
I love the idea, Dr Z! Execution will be tricky, I'm guessing. And, re the beverage, not wrong - it's just that, as we've gotten older, so has our choice of beverage! ;)

Cheers!
GMK

unerwünscht
January 4th, 2012, 16:26
DrZeuss I think the drink of choice at the gaming table here is at the DMs discretion, my table it is Whiskey. ;)