PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset Modification Guide: Introduction - Questions

Ram Tyr
January 1st, 2012, 14:43
I've been taking a look at some of the available documentation and I wanted to make some requests that are, I hope, fairly easy to update.

Two points I wanted to raise while looking over the Introduction to the Ruleset Modification Guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/introduction.xcp).

1. The Application Data Folder location - Currently, the page lists the location for Windows XP and Vista. If we can update the page to have the location for Windows 7, that would probably be helpful going forward. This is just something I noticed when going over this information. I believe the proper location for Windows 7 is:

C:\Users\[Account Name]\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

2. The section on "Using the d20 ruleset as a basis" needs to be updated. Here is the text:

Using the d20 ruleset as a basis

Starting from scratch with a new ruleset is a large effort. Even if you do decide to undertake this task, it's good to have a set of examples to guide you. The d20 ruleset bundled with Fantasy Grounds can be used as a starting point for modifications, large or small, and also as a source of examples.

Extracting the d20 ruleset files

Bundled with Fantasy Grounds (full license) is a utility program called d20unpak.exe. It is located in the program folder at "C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II". Running this will extract the d20 ruleset files into a folder called "examples" under the application data folder.

Creating a copy of the d20 ruleset

To run a ruleset based on the d20 ruleset files, you need to follow the steps above to create a new folder for your ruleset. After this, navigate to "examples/rulesets/d20" (under the application data folder) and copy all files there to your ruleset folder.

You can now start creating campaigns for the copied ruleset, and make modifications to the files in this folder.
Warning
Creating a ruleset in a folder named "d20" will result in the default ruleset files being used instead of the contents of this folder. Always remember to use a different name for your custom ruleset.

Keeping up to date

You need to run the unpak utility again after a patch if you need to access the updated files. Information about the specific files updated is given when the updates are published.

So, for example, I don't believe that d20unpak.exe is still bundled with FGII. (At least, I don't have that file in that folder.) I assume this has to do with the transition to 3.5E.pak and 4E.pak. I believe that there is an unpak.exe file available, but it is not linked in the documentation.

It is also probably a good idea if this page speaks to the lack of a folder in the "rulesets" folder for the stock 3.5E and 4E rulesets.

If I've missed something obvious, please let me know. I'm trying to learn something. (But only a little something.)

madman
January 1st, 2012, 17:56
So, for example, I don't believe that d20unpak.exe is still bundled with FGII. (At least, I don't have that file in that folder.) I assume this has to do with the transition to 3.5E.pak and 4E.pak. I believe that there is an unpak.exe file available, but it is not linked in the documentation.

Here is the link to the .pak Utility

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGPEMUtility.exe

Chris

Moon Wizard
January 1st, 2012, 20:19
Thanks for the feedback. Also, the PAK utility is no longer necessary.

I have updated the introduction page to refer to the 3.5E and 4E rulesets, as well as adding the W7 app data path and other clarifications.

Regards,
JPG

Ram Tyr
January 2nd, 2012, 02:48
That's great. :)

lachancery
January 3rd, 2012, 02:41
Another documentation update suggestion:

Add a paragraph on the page https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/extensions.xcp that explains how extensions active on the host are distributed to clients.