PDA

View Full Version : Show die roll totals?

milspec
December 31st, 2011, 03:13
First off, thanks for a great, updated ruleset and the great community around it.

My group is currently using the "=" function to add up damage totals, and then dragging and dropping that back into chat. It is slightly slow and one player has a problem with crashes when the "=" function is used.

Some of the other rulesets (BRP and 3E, I think) have an "auto die roll total" or "auto roll total" preference that can be enabled. This shows the total of all die rolls in chat, in addition to leaving each die value. For example, 3 3 3 = 9.

Is there some way to enable this for the SW ruleset? Is there some reason it was not included?

Thanks,

milspec

milspec
January 9th, 2012, 12:34
I figured it out. Find this file:

manager_rolls.lua

Go to this section:

function processDamageRoll(draginfo)

Find this line (line 317 for me):

ChatManager.deliverMessage(entry)

Add this on the line above it:

entry.dicedisplay = 1

Save as custom ruleset, or add to a simple extension.

milspec

phantomwhale
January 9th, 2012, 21:00
Good hacking effort :)

Meant to reply to this, got lost in the new year's malarky. There is rarely a reason stuff isn't included other than no-one asked for it, and it didn't come up as something I wanted - that said, the wishlist below serves to ensure my continued development isn't ALL just stuff I want (although 50% of it probably still is !)

As for dice totalling, I guess because it's JUST damage that needs it, it's not been as big a thing as, say, 4E die rolling. You hack is spot on - for bonus options, you could hack around in manager_options.lua and make it into an optional thing.

When the damage gets big enough that I can't just eyeball it, I normally either drag and drop the roll onto the chat window (for players) which repeats the chat line, but with the total. This isn't as good, and the totalling is probably better. However for monster damage, I normally drag the damage dice result onto the PC portrait. This chat's the total damage, along with an icon of the PC being hurt, which I quite like.

Please add an entry to the wishlist if you'd like to see damage totalling added to the next SWEX version. The above tricks are good fluff, but suspect damage totalling would be a nice to have for most people.

Cheers,
Ben (-PW-)

Doswelk
January 10th, 2012, 00:14
Another option to add to Prefs?

To turn it on or off.

That said already hacked into an extension :)

phantomwhale
January 10th, 2012, 00:26
Was going to say, it's probably quite a simple extension (although quite brittle too, as you'd have to copy out the entire dice rolling mechanic)

AMonkeyWithAFez
January 17th, 2012, 04:16
Hi all,

Milspec is one of my longtime friends that we are now getting to play regularly with because of FG. He is also one of my most computer literate friends and has been working diligently to make little add-Ons for our game.

The damage total function he created works great. The only issue we had was my system, as the host the system, crashed after totaling damage... We turned off the extension and then did a manual drag and drop to total and it crashed again... So it wasn't his extension, but the system definitely has an issue with totaling dice for damage.

Has anyone else experienced system crashes when manually totaling a damage roll?

It happens on my system only so far.

phantomwhale
January 17th, 2012, 04:38
Afraid to say I've never seen that issue.

Might be worth putting together the system specs of your system and putting a full report on the House of Healing forum. Also, see if you can reproduce the error in other rulesets.

I have had the occasional odd glitch that seemed to crash the system during ruleset development. But when I attempted reliably repeat the error, it soon vanished, never to be repeated. Which isn't reassuring as a developer, but does mean I've never had one of these crashes properly "captured" to help moon_wizard / Smiteworks track it down.

-PW-

Doswelk
January 17th, 2012, 07:18
Has anyone else experienced system crashes when manually totaling a damage roll?

It happens on my system only so far.

I can almost guarantee that I can crash FGII if I right button of the roll and click total.

Drag and drop to get total always seems to be fine for me.

I think I have had this problem since D20 Modern (not certain) so not sure it is a SW problem.

AMonkeyWithAFez
January 17th, 2012, 18:03
I can almost guarantee that I can crash FGII if I right button of the roll and click total.

Drag and drop to get total always seems to be fine for me.

I think I have had this problem since D20 Modern (not certain) so not sure it is a SW problem.

That would definitely explain the crash I experienced. Right click total...

phantomwhale
January 17th, 2012, 21:41
Gave it a good 5 min attempt to recreate and couldn't (FGII 2.8.1, SWEX 3.2)

Not sure if this has come up in the House of Healing (support) forum before, but might be worth mentioning ? It's certainly not something SW specific - not that anyone is really saying it is - but just highlighting this thread will most likely not progress any further whilst here in this forum.

As for a practical workaround, the drag and drop trick is normally pretty good :)