PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Is this a bug?

Desmodaeus
December 18th, 2011, 04:02
I have noticed that powers that say "until the end of your next turn never" end at the proper time. For instance the wizard power ray of frost slows a target until the end of the wizard's next turn. But when this is applied, it does not end at that time, it instead ends at some other time after his turn. We cannot figure this out because it only seems to do this with certain powers. I have even deleted the power and tried putting it in myself and still the same thing. This is VERY annoying. Anyone know what's going on here?

Griogre
December 18th, 2011, 08:04
There are likely to be two issues with an end next power. The first is simple, the combat tracker only keeps track of initiative not turns. This means if you have multiple creatures on the same initiative then end next will end after the last creature with that initiative count. Because of this it is usually a good idea to move monsters and PCs off the same initiative. IE If you have a wizard and Trolls both on initiative 20 and the Trolls go first change then change the trolls to initiative 21 or move the wizard to 19. Its also important you be careful where the initiative is when the player drops an effect, IE if the player is slow and you have advanced the tracker already the end next initiative is based on the initiative the tracker is at when the effect is actually dropped.

This takes us to the other problem which happens when someone uses a immediate action like the shield spell. That is an end next and because it is dropped, by definition, during someone else's initiative count you have to manually edit the effect to end at the right time - the end of the wizard's very next turn.

Ram Tyr
December 18th, 2011, 10:52
I would like to suggest that this information be amplified in the 4E manual.

For example, this page should identify this problem:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/ref_effects_4E.xcp

This page should likely do so as well:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/gm_ct_4E.xcp

Perhaps a page on"
"Why should each creature, whether PC or NPC, be given its own initiative?"
"Why should effects only be dropped during the correct creature's initiative?"
"What to do when a creature causes an effect at a point other than during its own initiative (such as an immediate interrupt)?"

Probably a good idea to do the same for the 3.5 manual, since it (I assume) relies on the same mechanics for the application of effects there.