PDA

View Full Version : Jesus saves!

KhybersGhost
December 17th, 2011, 02:29
......and only takes half damage.

So, I am getting a little more into the automated aspects of the software and was curious how other people handle spells that do half damage on successful reflex saves. (Or similar spells) Currently, when selected a large group of monsters, those that successfully save are automatically deselected. This makes applying damage to those creatures that failed their saves a simple matter, but then re-selecting the ones that are only to receive half damage is a little bit of a pain.

At the moment, I have my players setup their spells that function like this to do half their listed damage. I have them apply it to start then roll their cast (triggering saves) and apply the second half to those that didn't save. This is functional but has some weaknesses

Uneven damage when dealing odd dice value damage (5d6, 7d6 etc)
Does not work well with certain abilities like evade
Does not take spell resistance into account for initial damage
Applies elemental resistance twice against the same spell

Griogre
December 17th, 2011, 18:20
I don't play pathfinder, but the ruleset use the same mechanic on deselecting as 4E. What I do is apply full damage to those still selected. Then in the chat window I half the damage in the chat window by right clicking on it and selecting half. Then I just drag and drop from the halved damage onto all the non selected targets. Yeah it doesn't use automation but it is very very fast and consistent.

KhybersGhost
December 19th, 2011, 23:51
Thanks for the reply. That does look like it might be a little easier and takes care of most of the issues with my previous method.

Griogre
December 20th, 2011, 00:03
Glad to help.