PDA

View Full Version : "Sharing" licenses question

sleepydm
December 14th, 2011, 00:57
My brother and I are interested in purchasing an Ultimate License, yet we're both wanting to switch off DM'ing from time to time. To that extent, would it be possible to swap or share licenses between us for the times we take turns DM'ing?

Dershem
December 14th, 2011, 01:47
one license per one computer is going to be your standard answer...

Griogre
December 14th, 2011, 02:44
There's some economics here as well. Two full licences would be a lot less than one ultimate license. Two full and several lite licenses would be cheaper as well. It depends on why you want the Ultimate license and the size of your group.

phantomwhale
December 14th, 2011, 03:05
Yeah, I'd say that if it's about rotating the GM role in a group, your a lot more flexible with the original full licenses (or lite for players who don't fancy running the game).

My ultimate works well for me as I'm the only one who GMs. Equally, I know others run 3-4 groups, therefore it's better economics there too.

sleepydm
December 14th, 2011, 04:35
Yes, I'm aware bundling some lites and fulls will still end you up with a smaller total. For now we're thinking about the future though; the brother is being deployed next September so he may not need the license very long. The other thing is that, for my two cp, D&D should be made as easy to share as possible. It's hard enough to get people into it with the cost of rulebooks and the complexity of the rules therein, let alone an additional 24$ if they want to buy a license.

As for the EULA, I've heard a few dev. posts saying people could technically go ahead and have their license on another computer; in any case they didn't seem against it so long as a single copy of the license wasn't being used simultaneously.

phantomwhale
December 14th, 2011, 06:14
Admittedly, I have my license installed on both my desktop "actual gaming" machine and my laptop "only used for FGII coding" machine. As you say, as I'm only actually using the license for gaming on one machine at one time, so it's really within the spirit of fair use.

You can only have the license on one machine at one time in your group anyway - trying to join a session when your using a license key that is already present in the session will not work. Sounds like your doing the right thing, so I'd go for it personally...