PDA

View Full Version : General Question :)

Retardednamerequired
December 3rd, 2011, 23:32
So i'm looking at DMing 3.5 and or 4th edition for my local group and to help me keep things straight i am looking at getting a VTT so i can have notes on maps that the players won't see etc etc. For the most part from what i can see FG2 is pretty good but without paying i can't really mess around with the map tools as i can't create a campaign.

Can anyone give me any info on limitations/functionality of the mapping tools? I'm hoping that i can make snap to grid maps and have fog of war or simply designate squares that party members cannot see unless i toggle something? I'm not an art expert so i don't exect things to look amazing but want to be able to make maps on a grid layout without too much hassle so i can easily dictate line of sight assuming it has functionality for that? Don't want people seeing the whole map without having to explore :)

damned
December 4th, 2011, 01:55
this is not a map making tool.
you make your maps elesewhere and import them in jpg or png format
battle maps and line of site and masking are all easy enough
it also does a good job of character sheets, combat tracking, story notes and other stuff

Trenloe
December 4th, 2011, 07:54
Can anyone give me any info on limitations/functionality of the mapping tools? I'm hoping that i can make snap to grid maps and have fog of war or simply designate squares that party members cannot see unless i toggle something? I'm not an art expert so i don't exect things to look amazing but want to be able to make maps on a grid layout without too much hassle so i can easily dictate line of sight assuming it has functionality for that? Don't want people seeing the whole map without having to explore :)

As damned says, Fantasy Grounds isn't a map making program - and it doesn't have to be, where it needs to be good is the gaming functionality. There are so many good progams out there that you can use to make maps and easily import them into Fantasy Grounds. An example is Pyro's great flash based mapping tool (free) - find details here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14877)

Import your maps into Fantasy grounds and then you can do the gaming aspect that is required - create a grid on any of your imported maps that allows you to snap player and NPC tokens to the map, allow measurement, spell templates, etc, etc. Use the masking tool to control exactly what your players can see (fog-of-war, line-of-sight, etc, etc). The mask tool is a simple reveal this area now, hide that area now, etc, etc - just select the area to reveal/hide.

It works really well. And the ability to import maps from virtually any mapping program or the many free and inexpensive maps already out there is really all the functionality most people need.

Valarian
December 4th, 2011, 09:07
If you're going to run a map-focussed game, then perhaps FG2 isn't the tool for you. FG2 is focussed on the character, more of the functionality is around the character sheet and story/NPC items etc. The image has basic processing for maps. There's grid, a masking layer, pointers, shapes and basic drawing. You can add a pin to link a map location with another image or a story item.

Other VTT tools are more map focussed and have more features around the map. However, their character sheets are a PDF or text file linked to a map token. An example would be Battlegrounds RPG.

Personally, I love FG2 because of its focus on the character sheet and story. But, then, I will rarely use a map - even the rare times I run D&D. It all depends on what you are looking for in a VTT.

JFK
December 4th, 2011, 17:35
+1 to Valarian's comments. In fact, recently before starting a new campaign, my players stated their preference for more description and less visual aids (ie they'd much rather I describe their surroundings than to just plonk down a detailed or otherwise map of say, the local tavern. Unless there's a fight in the tavern, you don't need a map. If there IS a fight, you can do it with a sketch on the white map with a grid.
Of course, everyone has their personal approaches, but the main idea is a difference between trying to mimic a video game or trying to run a PnP style RP session. Don't get me wrong, I love great maps, and some of the folks here have offered up some awesome ones! But, my choice now is to use them sparingly, which also makes them stand out visually.
We make the best graphics in our heads, given half a chance. That's where I think FGII really shines.

JFK

Trenloe
December 5th, 2011, 01:22
I think what's great about Fantasy Grounds is that you're not tied to having to use maps or when you do use maps restricted to an in app mapping tool.

I play in a few different games (Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades, Rolemaster, etc) and each one is different - some use a few maps, handouts, etc., others don't use much and all games are enjoyable.

In the Pathfinder game I run I'm pretty map focused (battle level, village level, country level, etc) I like to show to the players where they are and what is around them. So, I'll have to disagree in a friendly way :) with Valerian's statement "If you're going to run a map-focussed game, then perhaps FG2 isn't the tool for you." Of course, I may be imagining "map focused game" in a completely different way to what Valerian means! ;)

Yes, some other VTT tools have more functionality around the maps (auto lighting and fog-of-war for example) but I still think that Fantasy Grounds allows you to run a pretty good map focused game and all of the extras (great character sheets, multi image sharing, note sharing, etc.) make it a joy to use.

When it all comes down to it, when you play a face-to-face role-playing game you play it the way you want - with or without maps, minis, etc.. What I love about Fantasy Grounds is that you have exactly the same choice - play the game in FG how you want to play it without the application dictating how you play...

Nestor
December 5th, 2011, 01:44
The flexibility of FGII cannot be emphasized enough. Photoshop and GIMP are far superior map creation devises than a map creation option that any VT could offer. Create your own maps, find others on the web and import them.

Also, using images in your story telling can be powerful tool.

Valarian
December 5th, 2011, 12:31
Also, using images in your story telling can be powerful tool.
+1 to this. Sometimes an image can set a scene better than a map. A map gets the players thinking tactically rather than as their characters in a location.