PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to Localhost

DeLeon
November 28th, 2011, 05:29
In the tutorial videos, I see the player connect to Localhost in order to try out the player side of the software; however, every time I try to connect to Localhost I get an error, so I'm worried I will have problems with my connectivity when I am ready to play a game. Is there a way to test this?

Talen
November 28th, 2011, 05:35
Make sure you've changed the name on the 2nd connection...connecting via local host won't work if the player and the dm connectin are using the same name.

DeLeon
November 28th, 2011, 05:38
Make sure you've changed the name on the 2nd connection...connecting via local host won't work if the player and the dm connectin are using the same name.

It didn't make any difference. I used a new Username and I typed in Localhost, and It says Error: Could not connect to the host. Check the address and try again.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2011, 07:17
Try localhost

All in lower case.

DeLeon
November 28th, 2011, 07:27
Try localhost

All in lower case.

Same error.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2011, 07:31
Just to make sure - you are running on the same machine when you try this? Running FG as a GM (with the campaing fully loaded) and then on the same computer start FG again and try to connect with localhost?

DeLeon
November 28th, 2011, 07:32
Yes. I also just noticed that when I create a new campaign and run the connection test, it fails every time.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2011, 07:57
Yes. I also just noticed that when I create a new campaign and run the connection test, it fails every time.

Looks like we're going to have "fun" getting your setup going... ;)

The connection test goes out through your internet router to make sure that other players will be able to connect over the internet to you - the test failing usually relates to your internet router/modem settings (port forwarding to allow your computer on your local network to receive communications from out on the internet). But, until we get you connecting as localhost on the same computer there is no need to worry about the connection test as it will probably always fail (until we sort out the localhost connection).

A few questions:

What operating system are you running?
Do you have any firewall running on your computer? If you're running Windows 7 or Vista the answer is probably yes.
If you are running a firewall locally, when you first started Fantasy Grounds you were probably asked to allow it access to your network - Home, Work or Public? Did you see anything like this? Did you allow it access?

DeLeon
November 28th, 2011, 08:00
1) I'm running Windows Vista
2) I have both the Windows Firewall and McAfee's firewall running, but I have added exceptions to both for FG.
3) I always click allow on the pop-up boxes when I install new software.

I wonder if moving the FG folder out of Program Files would make a difference?

Trenloe
November 28th, 2011, 08:03
I wonder if moving the FG folder out of Program Files would make a difference?

Did you move the files once it's installed or just change the location during the installation?

May be worth uninstalling and re-installing to the default location just to be sure...

DeLeon
November 28th, 2011, 08:04
Did you move the files once it's installed or just change the location during the installation?

May be worth uninstalling and re-installing to the default location just to be sure...

No, I haven't done it yet. It is in the default location now. But I've installed games before that had to be installed outside of program files because Vista has some strange parameters for the Program Files folder.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2011, 08:05
No, I haven't done it yet. It is in the default location now. But I've installed games before that had to be installed outside of program files because Vista has some strange parameters for the Program Files folder.

Yeah, Vista and Windows 7 don't allow writing/changing files under the program files structure if you're not running the app as Administrator.

Try running Fantasy Grounds as Administrator - right click on the shortcut and select "Run as Administrator". Do this for both the GM and the player instance.

Also, when you're trying to connect on the same computer, try putting a "host address" address of 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost - it shouldn't make a difference, but it might...

DeLeon
November 28th, 2011, 08:06
Anyway, I'll have to work on it tomorrow. I have to go to bed, so I can get up at 5am to go to work. Thanks for the help Trenloe. :)

Valarian
November 28th, 2011, 08:51
It's worth looking at the firewall settings as well. Put the localhost (127.0.0.1) in to the trusted zone for the firewall or allow the address through. The next step is going to be allowing TCP traffic for port 1802 through and setting up your router to redirect stuff coming in on 1802 to your PC.

Dershem
November 28th, 2011, 13:39
Also if you have a router or a modem with firewalls make sure you add exceptions there.

Talen
November 28th, 2011, 15:48
On the off chance this is helpful to you, I had the same problem about a month ago - I had started running my pc with both a cabled internet connect and my wifi running. The problem stopped when I started my pc with only the one network connection on.

Griogre
November 28th, 2011, 22:17
It's also usually a bad idea to run with two software firewalls. Choose either the build in firewall or Norton and shut the other one down.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2011, 22:23
It's also usually a bad idea to run with two software firewalls. Choose either the build in firewall or Norton and shut the other one down.
Yep, I'm thinking this could well be the cause of not even being able to connect as localhost. In tests I've done on my PC, Windows Firewall doesn't block localhost connections.

Creslin321
December 14th, 2011, 20:15
You could also try connecting to 127.0.0.1. That should be the same thing as localhost though. It worked for me when I did that.