PDA

View Full Version : Combat Length

inawkwardscience
November 24th, 2011, 18:55
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. I was wondering the average length of combat under Fantasy Grounds (Pathfinder), say with equal number of combatants on both side? I did not see any videos/youtube trailers focusing only on a combat encounter. My group is finally interested in trying a VTT and I figured combats would be quicker, what with most of the automation and all.

Thank you.

madman
November 24th, 2011, 18:59
Not at first, but once everyone learns how to use Fantasy Grounds it should speed things up.(It depends on the players though)

In my experience

Madman

Trenloe
November 24th, 2011, 22:10
As madman says, once everyone has been through a few encounters it should go quicker. From my point of view (usually a GM) it goes a lot smoother from the GM side - combat results are displayed (hit, miss, critical - it even rolls the crit confirm for you) so I don't have to search through lots of creature stat blocks to see if what the touch AC for a blazing skeleton is (for example). It tracks HP, effects, does saving throws for spells (and removes from targeting the creatures that pass the saving throw), rolls for spell resistance automatically - and lots more... Then there's effects - I'm only just beginning to use effects and they're great for keeping track of modifiers, buffs, etc. automatically...

There's always going to be the occasional time when someone says "oh, hang on, that's not on my character sheet" or something similar - but that happens in face-to-face games as well. Then you just run it as you would in a face-to-face game - player rolls dice, adds mods, GM checks against creature stats and announces result.

I also like the ease that a GM can check any of the characters stats (without the player's knowing) by looking at their character sheet. Hidden rolls (players rolls into "the tower" that only the GM sees are also a great piece of functionality too - although more out of combat than in...